Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Stench
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:56 am

Hello from East TN! I've been riding ATV's for over 15 years and due to lots of reasons (bad back, 11 year old son, etc) am now interested in getting a side by side. Sold two of my Honda's and now just have an Arctic Cat 650 TRV that I'm keeping for my 18 year old son (and his girlfriend....)

I'm 6'3" and a biscuit over 300lb. I like the looks of a RZR, but think it would simply be too small for me on long rides. I've ridden a Teryx and liked it just fine. I've sat in a Rhino (in a dealer) and the door kept popping open on me everytime I'd move the least bit. I'm open to any feedback. Of couse $$$ is a factor...

We usually ride Stone Mtn and Black Mtn, but I've ridden most places in a 100 mile radius (Windrock, Brimstone, Chuck Swann, Buffalo, etc) I haven't made it up to West VA yet, but really want to go!

My dream ride would be to make it out to the Pauite trail in Utah! Nice you meet ya'll.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:43 am

Welcome Stench,

The best advise I can give you is to test drive the machines you like. I know we have some big and tall guys that have RZRs.

I would not worry about the door on the Rhino. Sounds like you have a dealer that does not know what they are doing.

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Lucky Rabbit Foot Key Chain Club
Red Rhino keychain club  

SouthernSxSRider Member # 1
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 5471
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:48 am

welcome2 ........... cheers
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 10317
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:08 am

welcome2
Back to top Go down
MarkM
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 503
Registration date : 2009-04-19

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:33 am

welcome2
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:35 am

welcome
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 5285
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:07 am

the rzr believe it or not has more room in it than the rhino,teryx or others, go sit in one before you decide if a rzr is something you might want.

Last edited by GunRunner on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:16 am

Welcome bro,

I agree with Big-R go test ride a few different machines and see how they feel. I am 215lbs-6ft tall and love my rhino but everyone is different.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
Badride
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:30 am

Welcome to the site. There are a lot of good people here and someone can usually answer just about any question about a side by side.

If you are interested in a used RZR S I have a pretty nice one for sale that has around 400 miles on it for $10,000
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff

Number of posts : 5753
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:51 pm

welcome

im 6'3" 300lbs and i fit in the rzr just fine. more room in it than a rhino. in my rhino my knee hit the dash.

where in east tenn are you from. im 45 min north of bristol. if your close you can come and test ride my rzrS.

Conference Committee member
SSXSR Member # 55

2015 rzr 4 900
2012 silver rzrS  sold
2010 orange madness rzrS  sold
2009 orange rzr le  crashed
2004 rhino  sold

http://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 pm

bush wrote:
welcome

im 6'3" 300lbs and i fit in the rzr just fine. more room in it than a rhino. in my rhino my knee hit the dash.

where in east tenn are you from. im 45 min north of bristol. if your close you can come and test ride my rzrS.

I thought of you when I answered the post. I was not sure how tall you were. I knew it was over six feet.

Also, i agree with the guys. I think there is more room length wise compared to the Rhino. Setting two people side by side, maybe not. I know that after I put a few hundred miles on an RZR and got into the Rhino I felt cramped. The windshield felt very close to my face.

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Red Rhino keychain club  

Back to top Go down
BIG D 57
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2040
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Dont worry about the door mine did the same, dealer fixed it and never had problem with it,i am 6-4 and two biscuits over three hundred and ride just fine, and hauled three deer at once with the rhino right out of bottoms , lets see a rzr do that,ride them both and do what feels good and make it your !!!
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! Truth be told, I'd like to have one of EACH! I've owned every major brand of ATV and so far haven't had a stinker in the bunch. I'm partial to my Arctic Cat simply because I "fit" better on it. That will probably be the deciding factor here. My oldest son is 6' and 240lb pounds (played for Sullivan South this past fall) so there could be two big ol boys in it at any time.

Bush, I'm in Kingsport - not too far from ya! Do you all go riding often and where?

Question for RZR guys (from the wife...) How is mud protection on a RZR from the sides? I would probably wind up with some kind of wind protection from the front and the back, so that would be covered

Wife is a bit of a speed demon....if I get a RZR, I may get it taken away....

BadRide have you got your S listed anywhere? (eclassifieds, etc)

Thanks again for the warm welcome and I hope to ride with some of you boys soon!
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:14 pm

With a few small mud flaps. mud issues can be taken
care or on the RZR..... allright
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Big-R wrote:
I know that after I put a few hundred miles on an RZR and got into the Rhino I felt cramped. The windshield felt very close to my face.

Ronnie you know how to solve that problem
Dont you...... roflmao

lol!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 7348
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:33 pm

- welcome to the site. I too felt the legs were cramped in the Rhino. Bought the RZR. Big Jim rode with us in his Teryx this weekend. He is a big guy, uses it for hunting and carries lots of cargo on a ride. Lots of room for him.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff

Number of posts : 6403
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Stench wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome! Truth be told, I'd like to have one of EACH! I've owned every major brand of ATV and so far haven't had a stinker in the bunch. I'm partial to my Arctic Cat simply because I "fit" better on it. That will probably be the deciding factor here. My oldest son is 6' and 240lb pounds (played for Sullivan South this past fall) so there could be two big ol boys in it at any time.

Bush, I'm in Kingsport - not too far from ya! Do you all go riding often and where?

Question for RZR guys (from the wife...) How is mud protection on a RZR from the sides? I would probably wind up with some kind of wind protection from the front and the back, so that would be covered

Thanks again for the warm welcome and I hope to ride with some of you boys soon!

Mud-Bath baby!!!!!! Welcome!!!

2013 Ranger XP-900 aka "Big-Green Tractor" SOLD
2010 Ranger XP-800 aka "Whitey" SOLD
2009 RZR-S SOLD
2007 Rhino 686 SOLD
2007 Rhino 450 SOLD
Blue-Cooler/White-Top member
SSXSR Member # 6
PIG FEEDER NATION
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Big-R wrote:
I know that after I put a few hundred miles on an RZR and got into the Rhino I felt cramped. The windshield felt very close to my face.

Dont you...... roflmao

lol!

Yeah, take the windshield off...... roflmao ownedsm

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Red Rhino keychain club  

Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff

Number of posts : 5753
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:20 pm

Stench,

i ride a place here close to the house called VA City the most. its just outside ST Paul VA. http://mountainviewatvclub.org/

i go to WV alot and ride the wagon wheel trails. have been to Evarts KY and im planing on headed back there soon. also been to Brimstone and hope to make it back there a few times this year and plan to hit windrock and royal blue this year also.

i have also been ride at Callalantee in mountain city TN. rode there yesterday. pic and video to come.

http://www.highcountryatv.com/default.htm

and i have lots of land and a few trails right here at my house.

if you want to meet up for a ride let me know. i will let you test drive my rzrs.

lets ride allright

Conference Committee member
SSXSR Member # 55

2015 rzr 4 900
2012 silver rzrS  sold
2010 orange madness rzrS  sold
2009 orange rzr le  crashed
2004 rhino  sold

Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:13 am

Big-R wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Big-R wrote:

Dont you...... roflmao

lol!

Jack it up and drive an RZR under you.
that will fix all your problems..... ownedsm
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:44 am

ChrisC wrote:
Big-R wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Big-R wrote:

Dont you...... roflmao

lol!

Jack it up and drive an RZR under you.
that will fix all your problems..... ownedsm

Oh she is on jacks!!!!!! beat Tools

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Red Rhino keychain club  

Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:50 am

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a T-rex just to be on middle ground! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Badride
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:01 am

Stench wrote:

No, I haven't listed it anywhere yet as I have to wait until I get my hands on the one I am buying. It is being shipped from Riverside Ca hopefully early next week. You never know what could happen, truck wreck, stolen........... I just want that thing in my garage before I let this one go. The one I have is too good of a RZR to take a chance of selling it and someting happen to the other one. It would be hard to find one in as good of shape as this one for the price. If it wasn't so much work I would swap motors in them and selll the other one. This one had about 350 miles on it when I bought it and I only drove it twice before I took it apart to reinforce the frame.

http://southernsxsriders.forumakers.com/general-discussion-info-f5/badride-s-rzr-s-project-t5724.htm
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:18 am

Damn Bad, I wish I knew you were going to sell Mad

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Red Rhino keychain club  

Back to top Go down
Badride
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 am

Yeah, and I wish I would stay off the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!   

Back to top Go down

New Guy looking to get into Side by Sides!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next