SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Riding with kids in your UTV

Go down 
+8
Big-R
DoddS
Mud-and-Guts
ridepate
nocerisdave
KY. Colonel
Ryanscat
BigMotts
12 posters
AuthorMessage
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Riding with kids in your UTV Empty
PostSubject: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 pm

How many of you out there are riding with your kids. i ride with my son 8 out of 10 drives. We refer to it as his Rhino, I am just his driver. I try to do everything I can to keep my son as safe in the back of my rhino as i possibly can. I have had a seat from twisted stitch made just for him, He also wears his 4 point harness in the back . I was using a back pack clip on him as a sternum latch because he is so tiny . I thought I should stop using it because its hard to open and close and in an emergency I need him to be able to get out on his own, if need be. I was looking around for an add on type but not too many people make them.they are built in/ sewed in.
well I found these. I just got them so I havent tried them but i think it will work.

http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=6495

Riding with kids in your UTV Photo10

Last edited by rottenrhino on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ryanscat

Ryanscat

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm

I have rear facing buckets for my 5 and 12 yr old. I think i'll buy one of those sternum straps, thanks for the link.
Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 3:36 pm

I have the opposite problem my youngest is 6' 8" and tips the scale at 340 what ever unit I end up getting has to be able to accomodate his size comfortably...Thinking about a Teryx
The Colonel,
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Damn thats a big kid. Does he play sports?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 6:24 pm

nocerisdave wrote:
Damn thats a big kid. Does he play sports?

X2 pro line backer by size alone.
Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Damn thats a big kid. Does he play sports? Football, I sent him to Jr. college in Ca. (College of the Canyons) They won the National Championship in 2004. He was offered a ride at Florida but broke his foot pretty bad in the Championship game, that has ended his football career. You should see the reaction he gets when he drives my smart car! hilarious... I hope everyone who rides gets a chance to meet him - when I finally get a sxs I i intend to make as many rides as I can.
The Colonel,
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Maybe I'm too cautious. I will never go on a trail-ride with anyone in the bed, cage or not. Most bolt-on 4-seat cages, IMO are not safe. They are BOLT-ON. A fully welded cage gets a few more points ,but to put my child at risk?? Not going to happen. Buy a 4-seater. Just my personal O.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 11:40 pm

I ride with my 10 year old son all the time, he rides up the front with me and buckled in... No worries,
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 pm

mud-and-guts wrote:
I ride with my 10 year old son all the time, he rides up the front with me and buckled in... No worries,

10-4 bro. My 4 year old rides up-front. He wants to ride in the bed all the time. Sorry Nope...........Ain't gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 12:04 am

ridepate wrote:
mud-and-guts wrote:

10-4 bro. My 4 year old rides up-front. He wants to ride in the bed all the time. Sorry Nope...........Ain't gonna happen.

Mine wants to ride in the bed to bro, He thinks it would be "KOOL"... I tell him when on the trails the bed is for the "cooler"(blue cooler white top) and if he wants to ride he will ride in the seat...... lol

We take chances everyday on the trails and riding in cars, Which is why I drive a full size truck and my wife drives an Envoy with third row(They both are heavy, have full frames, and love gas).
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
DoddS
SSXSRider Member
DoddS

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 6:01 am

My 6 year old likes this idea....................

Riding with kids in your UTV P5150099
Back to top Go down
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 8:13 am

ridepate wrote:
Maybe I'm too cautious. I will never go on a trail-ride with anyone in the bed, cage or not. Most bolt-on 4-seat cages, IMO are not safe. They are BOLT-ON. A fully welded cage gets a few more points ,but to put my child at risk?? Not going to happen. Buy a 4-seater. Just my personal O.

I have a 4 seater (rhino ). all totally welded. My seat bracket is welded to my cage and not mounted to the bed. I also have a twisted stitch preemie seat for my 4 year old boy that includes a 4 point harness. I totally trust my set up to protect him in case of a roll.Ill be putting nets in the rear this spring also.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 8:59 am

rottenrhino wrote:
ridepate wrote:

I have a 4 seater (rhino ). all totally welded. My seat bracket is welded to my cage and not mounted to the bed. I also have a twisted stitch preemie seat for my 4 year old boy that includes a 4 point harness. I totally trust my set up to protect him in case of a roll.Ill be putting nets in the rear this spring also.

You now have two machines. Maybe it is time for the wife to get out and drive............ However, I think I would trust the rear cage before my wife's driving Laughing
Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 9:09 am

Believe me - you guy's don't have a problem if your kids want to hang with you on the trail! Keep em safe and keep em' comin back. Some of the best times in my life were spent on some backwoods trail watching my son stretch his proverbial wings on his dirtbike. Enjoy them while you got em'. I am hoping to rekindle some of that magic when I get a sxs.
The Colonel,
Back to top Go down
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 am

Big-R wrote:
rottenrhino wrote:
ridepate wrote:

You now have two machines. Maybe it is time for the wife to get out and drive............ However, I think I would trust the rear cage before my wife's driving Laughing

yeah , I am with you. She wants the RZR now though. i told her she has to pay her dues first LOL !!! thatsright roflmao
Back to top Go down
Ryanscat

Ryanscat

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 pm

rottenrhino wrote:
ridepate wrote:

Alot of the aftermarket 4 seater cages are way stronger than the factory 2 seat cage or even the factory 4 seaters. Just depends on how well its built. Just don't put em back there without a cage.
Back to top Go down
BigOrange
SSXSRider Member
BigOrange

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 am

Our lil man has been riding with us since he was 18 mos (he is 4)he has a car seat strapped between us - if we know it is going to be a rough day we leave him behind (which requires sneaking) riding is his favorite thing to do, would rather have him outside than in front of a tv. Know all I hear is I want a rzr like pred's (Fred) and yes he can name and recognize all machines.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wvrfac.com
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 7:07 am

Here is Marlee when I first got back from deployment this time last year. I chose to go with a PRP booster that and 4pt belts. She has only been on three or four rides. She was not ready for all day events last year, but I am bringing her to the next group ride. It will be nice to have both machines and the whole family out there with the club.
Riding with kids in your UTV Rhinomakeoverpics024

A couple from a ride at Land Between the Lakes last summer.
Riding with kids in your UTV LBL10JULYpics002
Riding with kids in your UTV LBL10JULYpics004
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Airborne that little one wont tug on yer heart strings......will she?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 8:25 am

nocerisdave wrote:
Airborne that little one wont tug on yer heart strings......will she?

No, not at all! Bullshit
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:01 am

Riding with kids in your UTV Img_0110

thats my Boy Jakob in the back sleeping......for some reason he always falls asleep whenever we ride. i cant stand throwing him around when we sleep so I always stop and take pictures or a time out till he wakes up. wish I could take a nap too, LOL.
Back to top Go down
bigbore
SSXSRider Member
bigbore

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 2:42 pm

Riding with kids in your UTV Miscridingpicts002

This is my boy Jared. He has been riding with me since he could hold his head up with a helmet on. He always rides next to me and uses his booster seat from my truck to keep him safe and comfy.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Riding with kids in your UTV Windrock72608027xg3

He does it on the boat too.
Back to top Go down
sleepy23

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 am

I have a spare seat base for the teryx that I plan on modding to attach a car seat so my little guy can safely ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding with kids in your UTV   Riding with kids in your UTV Empty

Back to top Go down

Riding with kids in your UTV
Page 1 of 1