Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

To RZR or NOT to RZR

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

To RZR or NOT to RZR Empty
PostSubject: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 am

Folks I am absolutely paralized with indecision. I have narrowed it own to the RZR or a new Teryx with great reasons for both, but the main issue being I absolutely hate the POPO downhill system. I quit riding my 04 sportsman because it scared he crap out of me on long downhills. Ended up selling the bike....love my arctc cat engine braking! I think the RZR would suit me better as a primarily recreational driver especially with other ATV's, but would do me no good if Im too SAC-less to ride it. Help! I don't want to make a 10k pluss mistake and regret it!!! aAAAAARG! thatsright rant2
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:12 am

Good question bro,

Honestly if I were looking to buy a new bike right now I would pick the RZR over the Teryx.. But that is just me.....

Go ride both and see what you think....
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 841
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:27 am

The Teryx has one hell of a engine brake. Me I like both but have my reason's for getting a Teryx over the RZR. Tools
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 am

Boy that is a question that could draw alot of heat, but I will give you my best shot. The RZR will not do down-hill with engine brake / hold-back as good as other machines but it will do up-hill like nobody's business!
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:13 pm

question 1- will you be doing any utility work? such as hauling,working?
question 2-do you haul a lot when you ride?
question 3-do you ride fast through the trails, or do you just cruise along at a smooth pace?

my opinion.....if you ride at a pretty good pace through the trails,dont haul much more than a cooler, gas can, and a box of necessities in the bed... and PURELY just trail ride....then the RZR would be you... if you dont like the engine braking in it..then get you one of the cluch kits like Gunrunner has in his......but if you occasionally do some work around the house or farm...just like to cruise and maybe have a adrenaline rush..and haul quite a bit in the bed or go on lots of atv camping trips....go for the teryx...but until you answer the questions i asked...i don't really know your riding habits.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6264
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Clayboy wrote:
Boy that is a question that could draw alot of heat, but I will give you my best shot. The RZR will not do down-hill with engine brake / hold-back as good as other machines but it will do up-hill like nobody's business!

x2

If you do a little bit of clutch work I can guarantee you the RZR will crawl down anything with the Teryx, Rhino or anything else out there. I stand 100% behind that statement. I would personally buy the RZR over the TERYX. The RZR is awesome in hillclimbing and really can't be beat. Of course, that is my opinion. Maybe MKING will chime in. He had TERYX and has a RZR. You will likely have a bit more power with the TERYX, but if you are looking for trail capabilty I personally think the RZR is a little more capable.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:58 pm

smith700 wrote:
question 1- will you be doing any utility work? such as hauling,working?
question 2-do you haul a lot when you ride?
question 3-do you ride fast through the trails, or do you just cruise along at a smooth pace?

1. I've got about 7 acres and do some light work with my ATV's - no farming. I've got a truck (doesn't everybody?) and usually use it for anything my ATV and little trailer wouldn't accomplish. I live on a steep hill (doesn't everybody here, lol) and use my little atv trailer to haul christmas and halloween decorations out of storage. I can see the benefit of having a sxs like a rhino/teryx/prowler to haul some of my totes. My camper is parked in a valley below my house, so I have to shuttle stuff to it - usually with my truck. Again a SXS would be nice for this.

2. I'm the idiot that brings way too much crap with him. I usually have enough stuff to spend the night on the mountain if need be (coupla mre's, big medical kit). However, the RZR bed is still bigger than anything I've had to use before. Bit more cabin storage would be nice tho'

3. I would consider myself a "moderate" - I've never been a hell bent for leather kind of rider, but we run 15-20mph on average on most trails. My best riding buddy doesn't cut me any slack and I've not seen much he won't go up! That being said, I'm more than happy to sit back and watch others show their SAC! I'm old and married - not much to prove anymore!

I have a son who is 12 and mildly autistic (aspergers) that I've never trusted to drive his own machine. My oldest (17) has had gocarts and atvs since he was 4 - he's graduating to my TRV so his woman can go too! I need a SXS to bring my son along. Whatever SXS I decide upon has to have a secure passenger position so he can't jump out (which he has done when I was in a mud hole with my TRV!!!). I'll get crow harnesses on whatever machine eventually. Leaning toward the RZR for this aspect with the bar in front and reclining seating position and nets.

I like the Teryx - big, heavy - could make it a 4 seater if need be. BUT - might limit places where I ride or who I ride with. I can see this slowing me down on some trails and not being able to keep up with ATV's (Ranger in 3rd place, again the braking)

I like the RZR - nimble, just plain dang cool. Its just that downhill thing...that's a big thing to me. NOT a machine flaw, MY problem. If a clutch can fix it, I'll be fine. There weren't that many options in 2004! Now that dirty dawg is gone - who makes the best one now?

Just having some jitters before I drop 10K+!! Please help

Last detail - very important. I have a toy hauler and the RZR would be better - less weight and no limit to mods (lift, tires, etc). I would not be able to change the Teryx AT ALL in terms of dimensions as it barely fits.

Thanks guys for talking me through this. I've got to do something soon or they'll be no riding for me!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10317

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Good luck with your decision. Whatever it is, you will have a blast with it. thatsright
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Stench.
Dirty-Dawg is not gone, someone started that rumor, tottally false, he has a new site.

http://www.dirtydawgperformance.net/

2013 Ranger XP-900 aka "Big-Green Tractor" SOLD
2010 Ranger XP-800 aka "Whitey" SOLD
2009 RZR-S SOLD
2007 Rhino 686 SOLD
2007 Rhino 450 SOLD
Blue-Cooler/White-Top member
SSXSR Member # 6
PIG FEEDER NATION
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:11 pm

based on the answers to the questions....i would get the teryx.....i love the rzr... but I would get the teryx.... looks like it would fit your needs better.....but why arent you considering a rhino?the teryx is much smaller (dimensions) than the teryx...
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:14 pm

ridepate wrote:
Stench.
Dirty-Dawg is not gone, someone started that rumor, tottally false, he has a new site.

http://www.dirtydawgperformance.net/

Thanks! I googled it and this is what I got...that is a really dispicable business practice..

http://dirtydawgperformance.com/
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Well, I will chime in. If you like the RZR best except for the clutch/engine break, you can change that. I would get what you really want.

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Lucky Rabbit Foot Key Chain Club
Red Rhino keychain club  

SouthernSxSRider Member # 1
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:36 pm

smith700 wrote:
based on the answers to the questions....i would get the teryx.....i love the rzr... but I would get the teryx.... looks like it would fit your needs better.....but why arent you considering a rhino?the teryx is much smaller (dimensions) than the teryx...

Smith, I don't have a really good reason for not looking at a Rhino. Reliable and probably the most well rounded SXS out there. I think I've bought one too many vehicles that were the last of a body design (99 Suburban, 96 F150) and have a sneaking suspicion that 2012 will be a spanking new design or at least a new Yammie SXS. Biggest thing is with the spacers, the Rhino is pretty much the same footprint as the Teryx. I'm more comfy in the Teryx (6'3" and 300lbs) but the Rhino definitely doable.

Going to look at RZR's (again) on Saturday....wish I was riding with you guys!

Thanks to all of you for helping with my thought process. If I can add engine braking to my satisfaction, nuff said. Besides, the Teryx dealer I talked to today wouldn't budge on $300 in "fees" - I can't stand that crap. Will go with Mountain Sports in Pound or Outdoor Equipment in Jefferson city (where I bought my 04). Both about an hour away, but no BS when talking to them! Let you know Saturday what happens!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Stench wrote:
.... Let you know Saturday what happens!

You had better not show up here telling us about a new SxS and not have pics bonk

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Red Rhino keychain club  

Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:30 pm

you could take the rear spacers out though...and (no offense) but at your size..... the teryx would be your best bet...because i wouldnt doubt the rzr will be new for next year(bigger motor).....im in the same boat you are about in 12" there will be a new rhino.....so i would get the teryx
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:43 pm

smith700 wrote:
...because i wouldnt doubt the rzr will be new for next year(bigger motor).....

I doubt it smith. It would require re-engineer I could be wrong because Polaris is definitely trying to stay on top. Unlike some of my favorite manufacturer.

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Red Rhino keychain club  

Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 pm

true true.... but sooner or later the 850 XP motor will be in the RZR
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 pm

smith700 wrote:

From what I understand, that would be a big engineering feet.

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Red Rhino keychain club  

Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Big-R wrote:
smith700 wrote:

In June it won't matter..............The Can-Am is being tested as we speak in the desert. I was told today, by my Can-Am/Polaris/Kawasaki/Sea-Doo dealer and, who I consider, a friend because I've been buying from him for 20 plus years. The Can-Am hit 114MPH, I kid you not, with the Spyder motor. They can't , for obivous reasons, sell a sxs that will do 114, so now they are trying to slow it down...................

2009 RZR-S SOLD
2007 Rhino 686 SOLD
2007 Rhino 450 SOLD
SSXSR Member # 6
PIG FEEDER NATION
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 pm

ridepate wrote:
Big-R wrote:
smith700 wrote:

In June it won't matter..............The Can-Am is being tested as we speak in the desert. I was told today, by my Can-Am/Polaris/Kawasaki/Sea-Doo dealer and, who I consider, a friend because I've been buying from him for 20 plus years. The Can-Am hit 114MPH, I kid you not, with the Spyder motor. They can't , for obivous reasons, sell a sxs that will do 114, so now they are trying to slow it down...................

I really can't wait for the Can Am. I will not go out and buy but, it will be great for the industry. It is hard to say where this sport will be a year or two from now. I know I would not say I would only have one brand of machine anymore. You never know what will come out next and trump the RZR.

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Red Rhino keychain club  

Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:55 pm

smith700 wrote:
you could take the rear spacers out though...and (no offense) but at your size..... the teryx would be your best bet...because i wouldnt doubt the rzr will be new for next year(bigger motor).....im in the same boat you are about in 12" there will be a new rhino.....so i would get the teryx

Believe me...I've gone thru my size issue in my mind a lot! I'm hoping that my son will ride with me a lot- Teryx would be more comfortable. But if he doesn't, RZR would make more sense as I'll be riding with ATV's some. Till my old riding buddies wise up that is!

If I had a Rhino...I'd bling it out and ride it like I stole it! That's the main problem...this is a one shot deal. Wifey won't take too kindly to a redo in a year or two. You wait Smith...you'll see! LOL! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Teryx???
Back to top Go down
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 6:00 pm

if you decide on a RZR , Your next thread will probably be " To S or not to S " LOL thatsright
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10317

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:04 pm

[quote="Stench"]
smith700 wrote:

Believe me...I've gone thru my size issue in my mind a lot! I'm hoping that my son will ride with me a lot- Teryx would be more comfortable. But if he doesn't, RZR would make more sense as I'll be riding with ATV's some. Till my old riding buddies wise up that is!

Twisted Evil

If you ride with your friends alot on 50" regulated trails, or trails that are super narrow, I would have to recommend going with the RZR and keeping it stock width.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Big-R wrote:
ridepate wrote:
Big-R wrote:
smith700 wrote:

I really can't wait for the Can Am. I will not go out and buy but, it will be great for the industry. It is hard to say where this sport will be a year or two from now. I know I would not say I would only have one brand of machine anymore. You never know what will come out next and trump the RZR.

I'm growing old with a Ranger................I'm gonna see just how long it will last.

2009 RZR-S SOLD
2007 Rhino 686 SOLD
2007 Rhino 450 SOLD
SSXSR Member # 6
PIG FEEDER NATION
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To RZR or NOT to RZR   To RZR or NOT to RZR Empty