SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need help with lift install...

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Need help with lift install... Empty
PostSubject: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 11:44 am

I just posted this in the 'Moose 2 inch lift' thread... but, i'll start a new one.

here goes...

I tried last night and i couldn't get the shock compressed so it would fit. and the a arms wouldn't go any further down b/c of the axle. I tried zip ties and vice grips... with no luck. is there a secret???

i thought about keeping it on the ground and while the shocks are compressed a bit... putting some zip ties on the springs to keep them there. this would work, but i'm still not sure about the axle.

oh, and to those of you that don't want to grind... there is no grinding for this lift even though the directions say to. I guess they changed the 08's b/c the instructional pictures are different from my rhino.

any help would be appreciated... cheers
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 11:54 am

Wheels, good luck with the Highlifter 2" lift. I had that on my previous Eiger although yours may be different. Is yours just some brackets that fit between shock mount and the bottom of shock. You just have to push the A-arms as far down as possible I believe. I was pretty much standing on it forcing it down on the Eiger to get the bracket to line up. Get someone else to help with the install!

Again does this sound like what the Rhino lift is. 2 brackets, 2 long bars, 2 shorters bars, and some bolts. That should be the number of pieces for the front lift. It takes alot of pressure to get it to line up. Someone may know an easier secret. I use to run the front lift an no lift in the back.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 12:37 pm

hey Rick... yes, i applied force.. but the axle is hitting the frame. i don't want to bend the axle.

Nocerisdave sent me the pdf install from highlifter... it's opposite of the directions that actually came with the lift.

pdf says the brackets will have an up slope when installed. the directions that came with it says it should be at a 20 degree downward slope... i know it will fit with the upward sloping, but i'm not sure how that's supposed to lift it.

maybe i should wash my hands of it and just drink a beer. lol!

oh, and the local yamaha shop said they would install it for me but i'd have to leave it there for a couple of weeks. affraid um, no. thanks though. i'll do it myself thanks. or... i'll return it and get some 27inch tires. lol!

sorry for the rant... this is frustrating. seems like everything i try to install takes forever... lights took 6hrs... now this thing is taking awhile. anyways...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 12:48 pm

All it does is pushes the A-arms down which lifts the body up 2"s. Which dealer did you check on installing it at? KC's powersports? or All-Sport Yamaha in Decatur (heard about all-sport but never been there).

Watch which way you turn the brackets to install. Do you see a slope on the bracket itself at the top. Think the slope goes towards the inside.

P.S.
Don't know if this will help but here is a pic of the lift I had on the Eiger. Does the Rhino lift look similiar?

Need help with lift install... IM000224
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 12:57 pm

that's what the front looks like... but, i'm talking about the back.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 2:00 pm

I still have the parts to my rear lift somewhere. I never did install a rear lift. Those springs will be tough to compress enough to get those brackets in there. On an atv the rear lift just puts more stress on the drivetrail an everything an is strictly a body lift. You get your clearance from the tires in the back, the front is really all that needs lifting. Someone correct this if I am wrong about the Rhinos. I know on an atv you do not need the rear lift it just adds more stress.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 3:55 pm

When i lifted my Ac 400 put it on front and Rear :) Never heard of just putting one on the Front that would make your front end Easier to flip.Reason front sits higher than Rear.Wheels i Have never used a lift that looks like that Shocked Laughing That lift makes everything Harder it appears to me.The Moose lift all you do is take the Bolts lose from either top or bottom and intall lift bolt it back up 30 minutes tops :) That is foriegn to Me Rolling Eyes Good luck man sorry can't help you on this :)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 11:55 pm

Rich.,
Back-off the spring-retainer nuts on the shocks. Run them up as far as they will go.You will lose the spring-tension.
Jimbo
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 12:15 am

yeah, i thought about that Jimbo... if i had the right tools, i would have done that. thanks for the input though... cheers

i went ahead and put the front on... something might be off i think lol! before lift: 9inch clearance. after lift: 13 inch clearance.

that makes the front at 13 inches and the back at 11 1/2 inches. i'm going to attempt the back again next week.... so, tomorrow i will be riding on a funny looking rhino. lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 12:19 am

All you need is a punch and a hammer...................
Back to top Go down
Clutch

Clutch

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 8:09 am

You could buy a Coil Spring Compressor or see if autozone or Advance auto parts has a loner you could use. We used a heavy duty ratchet strap to compress the springs on my buddies coil over conversion on his Jeep.
Back to top Go down
moondog

moondog

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 9:58 am

wheels, the lift you got has not worked on anyones rhino that i know of. the problem is not compressing the shock, it is that the bottom shock bolt will rub the axle (this is on the 07 up.) 😢 you said that the axle was hitting the frame before you could get the lift alig. in the hole. that mean's if you do force it down to fit, that your axle will rub the frame at full extention of the shock.(if you go over a rock ect. and you lift a wheel off the ground.) affraid when you take the shock loose from the top check the bottom bolt to see if it is hitting the axle. this lift didnt work on my 07. :evil: i went with the extreme 3'' lift it moves the rear shocks to the back of the a-arm . but this lift also has a problem, the right rear axle will hit the frame, Shocked you have to demple the frame under the axle. Mad the cost of this lift is high $277.77, but i really like it. 14 3/4'' front to back with shock's on softest setting and 250# of gear. i could get pic's if you would like. it also ( imo ) gave me a little more stability. but i also put 2x5 offset wheels on the back. 4 inches wider. :D hope this help's.. Wink
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 8:43 pm

thanks for the info moon...

i'm not sure what i'm going to do... i know it looks like an impala with hydraulics right now though lol!

i'll probably put the rear on and adjust it to 1inch. that's all i need to be equal with the front... i just have to make sure it's not going to hit the frame at full extension.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Wheels Keep on And we will Have a New PIMP Rolling Eyes Laughing Look out Nick Wheels is Coming :face: :afro: lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 9:54 pm

ATV_Rick wrote:
All it does is pushes the A-arms down which lifts the body up 2"s. Which dealer did you check on installing it at? KC's powersports? or All-Sport Yamaha in Decatur (heard about all-sport but never been there).

Watch which way you turn the brackets to install. Do you see a slope on the bracket itself at the top. Think the slope goes towards the inside.

P.S.
Don't know if this will help but here is a pic of the lift I had on the Eiger. Does the Rhino lift look similiar?

Need help with lift install... IM000224

I serously hope it looks more professional that that!!!!! That's some cobbled-together looking stuff!!!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 10:33 pm

yup, that's exactly what it looks like... but, i plan on painting it black.... some day. lol!

that's right Wheelin'... look out now.. there might be a new pimp in town. 👅
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 10:49 pm

you cant be the PIMP...your married lol!
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 11:10 pm

Us men type are all pimp want-a-be's at heart........Pimp on Wheels!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:44 pm

ok... it's finished. it's no longer a lowrider. cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 9:00 pm

update: it's back to a lowrider. dangit. to make a long story short... it's either going to be a lowrider, or it's going to be stock.

actually, i think i'm going to adjust the rear shocks so the ride height is alittle higher(getting as close to front as possible)... and leave the front on.

cheers i'm getting tired of fooling with it. lol!
Back to top Go down
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 557

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 10:36 pm

What is the problem Grasshopper??????
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 11:15 pm

shocks are too long... brackets won't stay in place, even with an ungodly amount of torque on them... if i get them where they need to be, the shock will feel like a metal rod instead of a shock.

but, I think i've come up with a way to do it... i'll only get an inch, but that's better than nothing. i'm going to 'try' to mount the brackets on the bottom... i already got it on there, and it clears the axle so i'm good there. i just need to get a couple more bolts and a spring compressor(sp?). it should work. if it does, i'll post a 'how to' for all the people with SE shocks wanting a lift.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:21 am

WE WANT PICTURES OF THE LOW-HIGH RIDER Rolling Eyes lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Man that sure makes those Air Fox Shox sound good!
Back to top Go down
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 557

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 7:17 pm

I am glad I didn't have your luck. Fronts took me about 20 minutes (didn't even take the wheels off) and the rear took about 1 1/2 hours to install (took to long before taking the wheels off). I am running sport shocks. You need more pictures ...... I can make them larger Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with lift install...   Need help with lift install... Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with lift install...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next