SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Temp light keeps coming on

Go down 
+3
wvyankee2
Mollieandgil
AIRBORNE
7 posters
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Temp light keeps coming on Empty
PostSubject: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Okay, so I have taken the Rhino around the neighborhood on two or three occasions. The temp light keeps coming on, but the fan does not run. I know the fan works, because the other day it kicked on while the Rhino was idling in the driveway. I have been told the Rhino has two temp sensors. General concensus.......try to elevate the front end and try to purge a possible air bubble out of the system???
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Mollieandgil

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptySat May 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Cpt, I've had mine apart several times, for several reasons, I've never had to do anything special to purge it. I even completely flushed and drained the coolant to replace it with Engine Ice, I've never had this problem. I could be wrong, but I don't think that air is your problem.

What occured prior to this? Did you have it apart for some reason?

Gil
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptySat May 01, 2010 10:42 pm

I had one of the main lines to the heater disconnected back in October to get the power steering unit installed. Porkchop seems to think that the thermostat may be faulty. He said the Yammy rep told him it is a very common thing in the 08 700 models.
Back to top Go down
Mollieandgil

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptySun May 02, 2010 9:37 am

That could be. It also seems like a perfectly good excuse to install a water temp gauge as well. Mine never gets over 195 degrees, and drops to 170 degrees as soon as it hits 195.

As a small gesture of my appreciation of your service to our country, from one Army Airborne soldier to another, if you need a water temp inline sending unit, let me know, I have an extra that I made from billet aluminum.

Temp light keeps coming on 100_0747

Temp light keeps coming on 100_0761

This the one that I installed on my rhino. I wish that I had installed it right next to the thermostat housing because here it contacts the rack boot, but it hasn't marked the boot in any way, and I seriously doubt that it will ever rub a hole in it. The larger diameter is so large because I used a mechanical gauge instead of an electrical gauge.

Temp light keeps coming on 100_0681

Temp light keeps coming on 100_0751
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptySun May 02, 2010 4:04 pm

I would try burping it on the cylinder head outlet Chris. See if you get any air out.

I had the reverse problem on my last ride. My Temp gauge was reading real hot. Up to 220 at one point, but my fan was not running. The fan did cycle off/on like it's supposed to though. At 220 it should have stayed on all the time, but didn't. Also, no increased level in my reservoir. No indication of high temp at all except from my gauge. scratch

It was my first ride with a full windshield on it. Anyone else ever experience increased gauge temps after putting on a full windshield? I know that there was a lot more heat staying in the cab, so i'm sure there was alot more heat staying in the doghouse. Just asking????

Maybe my gauge is going bad??
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptySun May 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Mollieandgil wrote:
That could be. It also seems like a perfectly good excuse to install a water temp gauge as well. Mine never gets over 195 degrees, and drops to 170 degrees as soon as it hits 195.

As a small gesture of my appreciation of your service to our country, from one Army Airborne soldier to another, if you need a water temp inline sending unit, let me know, I have an extra that I made from billet aluminum.

Temp light keeps coming on 100_0747

Temp light keeps coming on 100_0761

This the one that I installed on my rhino. I wish that I had installed it right next to the thermostat housing because here it contacts the rack boot, but it hasn't marked the boot in any way, and I seriously doubt that it will ever rub a hole in it. The larger diameter is so large because I used a mechanical gauge instead of an electrical gauge.

Temp light keeps coming on 100_0681

Temp light keeps coming on 100_0751
Gil, I appreciate the offer, but I am not sure I would even know how to install that thing. Since I really don't plan or riding the Rhino till I get to FT Knox, maybe one weekend I could shoot over that way and we could do it?? Just a thought. I have a good buddy over Richmond way that I need to go see anyway, and it would give me a good excuse. lol!

Where were you stationed and when were you in?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptySun May 02, 2010 4:48 pm

Yank wrote:
I would try burping it on the cylinder head outlet Chris. See if you get any air out.

That was gonna be my next step. I planned on trying to get a thermostat ordered and installed then try to purge the line.
Back to top Go down
Mollieandgil

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptySun May 02, 2010 5:52 pm

I was in Bad Tolz, Germany. I got out in 87'. That seems like a lifetime ago. Temp light keeps coming on 13435

It's really a simple thing to install. You just cut the hose, and put this inline.

Gil
Back to top Go down
HayStack

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptyMon May 03, 2010 12:15 am

AIRBORNE purge your system. i had the same problem and thought i purged it good but was wrong Mad i raised the front end up took off the rad cap run it with the bleeder screw losened i did this for about 15 minutes filling the rad up and letting it run. seems the air will get trapped and now mine never runs over 180 that is with rear cage/seat daughter 165lbs + with cooler and full windshield, have seen it get to 185 but that was on open road at about 36-39 mph for quite aways. hope this help allright
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptyMon May 03, 2010 6:13 am

allright
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptyMon May 03, 2010 8:04 am

thanks airborne ,,you reminded me to burp mine before windrock ride .mine overheated a couple times last year and i need to check it out!! of course i am still on the old 04 ,660
Back to top Go down
cubanb

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptyMon May 03, 2010 1:38 pm

I had the same problem with my 09 700. I purged the system at both the water pump, and the thermostat housing. Never had a problem since then. Shop manual will tell you how to bleed the system.
Back to top Go down
wrenchhead

wrenchhead

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptyMon May 03, 2010 8:07 pm

you have air in the system the best way to purge the air out is to park it on a level sight and remove the cap start the engine and rev it up to about half throttle have someone watch the water level and when the thermostat opens, open the bleed screw at the thermostat housing and have them topp of the radiator at the same time once air quits coming out of the vavle shut off the valve and install the cap make sure to keep the engine speed the same during this. make sure your overflow tank is full at all times. when your engine cools off it draws fluid from the bottle if the radiator is low if there is no coolant in the bottle it draws in air.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptyMon May 03, 2010 8:09 pm

cajuncoot wrote:
thanks airborne ,,you reminded me to burp mine before windrock ride .mine overheated a couple times last year and i need to check it out!! of course i am still on the old 04 ,660

Coot, is Janet coming with you?
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on EmptyMon May 03, 2010 9:10 pm

no my stepdad is coming this time ridin beotch, the ol'goat has been having knee problems and cortizone injections have them feeling fair so she doesnt want to push her luck bouncing around and jarring them . she needs knee replacements but we cant afford for her to be off until i get a job, she will be there in spirit with us thou Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temp light keeps coming on   Temp light keeps coming on Empty

Back to top Go down

Temp light keeps coming on
Page 1 of 1