Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalRegisterLog in

volt gauge question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mudcon
SSXSRider Member
Mudcon

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-10-12

volt gauge question Empty
PostSubject: volt gauge question   volt gauge question EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 9:18 am

I picked up a cyberdyne digital volt gauge. the problem I am having is the instructions say hook it to a switched power source so I hooked it to the brown wire at the cig lighter or acc plug. and ground to a ground I ran straight from the battery. it reads 12.4 when a multimeter says 14.7 at the battery. when I moved the power from the plug to the battery it reads 14.4. I moved the power back to the plug and used the mulitmeter to checked the wire behind the gauge and it reads 14.7 while the gauge still reads 12.4. I called tech support and they were useless. they said there might be some interference through the ign line causing the problem but I dont understand how? if the line is reading 14.7 what could cause interference to make the gauge read 12.4 on the ign circuit? anyone got any clues?

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberdyne-A000E160N-Green-Voltmeter-Gauge/dp/B000XMHOQI
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudcon.com
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: volt gauge question   volt gauge question EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 5:27 pm

I would start by hooking up the volt guage and the multi-meter to the same power and ground. If there is a difference then one of them is incorrect. It is possible to lose voltage over a long skinny wire.
Back to top Go down
Mudcon
SSXSRider Member
Mudcon

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: volt gauge question   volt gauge question EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 5:57 pm

I did and the gauge is off but only hooked to the ign source. both to the battery reads the same
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudcon.com
firepup
SSXSRider Member
firepup

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: volt gauge question   volt gauge question EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Whats it read with the engine running and what else is hooked up to the power switch. It could be when key is on the relays and or fuel pump is robbing voltage which shows lower volts.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: volt gauge question   volt gauge question EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:37 pm

If you want it to read true then you will need to have 2 dedicated wires, one for power and one for ground straight from the battery. The sole purpose of a volt guage is to see how much you have on reserve (battery).
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1364
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: volt gauge question   volt gauge question EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Simple fix.. Run two wires from your battery. one for ground one for 12v. Connect them to a SPDT relay, Also connect the voltage meter to that same relay.. Now take that switched power wire and connect it to the coil of the relay. Now if you wire the relay right the gauge will be off when the key is off. When the key is on you will have a direct reading from the batter. HTH
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1364
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: volt gauge question   volt gauge question EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:30 pm

If your not sure the exact wiring on the relay, 12v from battery=30, switched 12v=85, 12v to gauge=87, Connect both grounds from the battery and gauge to 86.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: volt gauge question   volt gauge question Empty

Back to top Go down

volt gauge question
Page 1 of 1