SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I learned something today, must read if you weld

Go down 
+2
Foxfire
GunRunner
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

I learned something today, must read if you weld Empty
PostSubject: I learned something today, must read if you weld   I learned something today, must read if you weld EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 9:58 am

Watching a racing show today and they were talking about welding safety. Ive never heard of this but it is something everyone of us that welds should know! Scary shit!!! Seems a lot of people clean parts with Brake cleaner or other chemical cleaners before welding them together, combine that with a welder using argon gas and the chemical left behind from the cleaner will create a poisonous gas called phosgene gas . This gas can kill you and was actually used in past world wars as a weapon, if you dont breath enough to kill you it can ruin your respiratory system and nervous system and you will live with its effects for the rest of your life as there is no antidote. It has a smell of fresh cut grass or hay, It can also be created welding or brazing HAVC lines if they have residual refrigerant in the lines. They said the best way to protect yourself is to not use chemicals to clean parts to be welded and to have very good ventilation when welding. Damn im glad i saw that show, this is good info to know! allright

Last edited by GunRunner on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read if you weld   I learned something today, must read if you weld EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:24 am

Excellent post Gunny....I always use brake clean to clean parts before burning then together.......guess thats why I'M SO SCREWED UP. thatsright

Well, one reason anyway............

Last edited by Foxfire on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boliver
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read if you weld   I learned something today, must read if you weld EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:55 am

Thank god,I always use wire brushes,powered or manual and if the materal has grease or other I use starting fluid..(no sparks while spraying)

Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read if you weld   I learned something today, must read if you weld EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Good info Gunny,,,, thanks! flameing
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read if you weld   I learned something today, must read if you weld EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 9:19 pm

great post ,,might save a life or keep them from dain bramage like me !!
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read if you weld   I learned something today, must read if you weld EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 9:24 am

GunRunner wrote:
It has a smell of fresh cut grass or hay,

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I always wondered why that roach didn't smell quite right under my helmet.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read if you weld   I learned something today, must read if you weld EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Great post Gunny...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read if you weld   I learned something today, must read if you weld Empty

Back to top Go down

I learned something today, must read if you weld
Page 1 of 1