SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

newest member of the broke belt club

Go down 
+4
pit dog
nitefab
Big-R
MainstreaM
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MainstreaM

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-15

newest member of the broke belt club Empty
PostSubject: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 8:03 pm

I live on a mountain here in SE TN and have been having to use my Teryx to get down so I can go to work. The grade is steep, 10% or better, steeper than the famous Monteagle Mtn on I-24 (which is just a few miles away). The mountain road is about 4 miles long from bottom to top and climbs 1200 feet. Had about three inches of snow on the road. On the way up this morining, I could feel what I thought was sliding on the slippery road surface. Had it in low running pretty hard. About 100 yards from my house, where it is flat on top of the mtn, hear a loud bang, wheels lock up, and I slide into the ditch. It wouldn't come out of gear into neutral at first, but eventually did. Luckily my 92 300 Fourtrax sits in our heated basement so I fired it up and towed the Teryx home.

My question is, did I overheat the belt? Is driving it that far on that steep of a grade too much? Kinda disappointed me, my Fourtrax has never let me down. Didn't feel like I was pushing it to hard, there was still plenty of throttle left.

Thanks
Kane
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Is there a lot of snow on the ground?
Back to top Go down
nitefab
SSXSRider Member
nitefab

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 10:30 pm

how many miles on it and have you had the belt adjusted since you bought it.
Back to top Go down
MainstreaM

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 2:28 am

It has 110 hrs. I got it from the original owner. He used it primarily to crawl and on trails. He was very meticulous with the maintenance.

We got 7-8 inches with 3-4 on the roads.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:55 am

3-4 inches is not that much snow. However, the belts were not that great in the Rex when they first came out.

If you were pushing threw the snow all the way up the hill it could have been a little to much for the belt.

I can't say for sure because I don't own a Teryx
Back to top Go down
nitefab
SSXSRider Member
nitefab

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 10:01 am

The belt on the teryx needs to be checked at 200 miles and I think every 1000 miles. I will tell you if the belt is just the slightest out of spec it will blow apart usually at wide open. Most of the teryx belts I have seen blowed out at 6000 miles after riding through snow, mud, and lots of wide open throttle.
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 10:07 am

Get V force john to due your clutch you wont have any more trouble.
Back to top Go down
MainstreaM

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Here's a pic of the carnage:
newest member of the broke belt club 129fx

Just gotta check deflection on the new one and put what's left of the plastics back on.

Kane
Back to top Go down
KYWILDCATS74

KYWILDCATS74

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 7:44 pm

I know these Teryx like the back of my hand.. First off like a few on here have speculated your belt deflection was probably off. Second on the Teryx you cant stop and leave it in gear. This will cause a hot spot in your belt. Second , if your climbing steep grades or crawling through technical stuff you should always be in low (if you have the stock clutch setup) . I garantee you have or the previous owner smoked that belt before too.
Just for your info I have a big bore 840 with 300 hrs and the original 08 stock belt. Adjusted my deflection twice and when pulling my heads to repair head gaskets the belt looked brand new and the deflection was perfect so I will probably put another 100 hrs or more on it.

When you install your new belt set your deflection were the top of your belt sticks out the top of the rear sheave a 1/16 of a inch . Then when ever you stop kick it up in neatral. When putting around or climbing big hills have it in low. I cant express enough the IMPORTANCE of not sitting still in gear while your bike is running..If you do these things you will never have a belt issue. And as far as going uphill in three inches of snow, that has absolutely nothing to do with it. You should see what my original belt goes through.. turning 9000 rpms and pulling over three times the factory HP .
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 pm

I have a 08 Teryx and the stock belt let go at 1600 miles. You CANNOT let them idle in gear always put them in neutral.
Back to top Go down
MainstreaM

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 12:39 pm

First check on deflection was 57mm so I started it up and let it idle a few minutes. Rechecked and it came in at 23mm. Took it for a spin Saturday and performed as it should.

Kane
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 1:33 am

I have been considering a TERYX. Are the newer TERYX this much hassle with the belt system, or only the 08-09 models?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Stakk

Stakk

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:08 am

Well guys OK, belt maint 101....lol

The Teryx belt breaks in quickly, our new manual now specs a defelection check and adjustment (if needed) at 20 hrs., then CHECK every 200hrs.

My 2010 new unit was bareley loose and out of spec at 50 hrs. usually removing the thinnest shim in the secondary brings it into spec and myself I have never had to do another adjustment after the intial first one.

the 2008 model had one adjustment in 3500 miles still in spec at that mileage,

the 2009 same at 3700 miles.

this new 2010 went longer before the intial first adjustment was needed. the FIRST adjustment is critical, running a loose belt allows the clutch and belt to over heat and you will eventually get failure.

Contrary to most these belts are very durable IF you do the proper maintanace, again after you remove the shim on the first adjutment, most likely you'll never have to adjust again, it's common for belt s to go 5000 miles before replacement with proper care and of course not filling your cvt housing with water.
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:13 am

Oh and one other thing, the check at 200hrs is to help prevent failure. The Rhino's and Yamaha CVT's need maintanace also contrary to popular belief, at about the same hour interval one needs to remove the Rhino clutches and clean dust and buildup and re grease the primary roller weights to prevent sticking and wear of the weight's and primary....... NO machine is without maintance, they all need to be serviced. use low range when crawling, keep belts within tolerance and out of the water and they will live a long life.
Back to top Go down
KYWILDCATS74

KYWILDCATS74

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 5:44 pm

I agree with everything Stakk said. I work on these things all the time. The Teryx is a very durable machine. You cant go wrong with one. There belt system is good. Never had a issue with one if you #1 check your initial belt deflection #2 dont let it idle in gear ( put in in neutral when stopped) #3 low speed or climbing/ rock crawling be in low gear #4 if you install larger tires or aggresive tires get a proper clutch kit.
If you do the above things you will never even think or worry about a belt because it wont fail.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: newest member of the broke belt club   newest member of the broke belt club Empty

Back to top Go down

newest member of the broke belt club
Page 1 of 1