SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil

Go down 
+2
nocerisdave
Big-R
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil Empty
PostSubject: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:13 am

I am getting ready to change the oil in the Trans and gear-case and came across this. I thought it would also help others also.

Read the service manual for complete instructions...

Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil 21734d1289267250-transmission-main-gearcase-fluid-check-location-trans-fill-3

Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil 21733d1289267339-transmission-main-gearcase-fluid-check-location-trans-fill-2

Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil 21732d1289267339-transmission-main-gearcase-fluid-check-location-trans-fill
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Pics be gone.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:29 pm

I Kant read............
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Funny, I'm about to do the same.. I went and bought my fluids today.. Pretty $$
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Well damn...... I will try and re-post the pics.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 5:52 pm

lol Ok I have a question.. Say you drain your front differential and its pretty muddy.. how and what would you use to flush it out.. Or should I just refill it and change it again soon. Not loving this option since the fluid is about 13.00 a quart at my dealer..
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 5:56 pm

One quart will do the front diff at least 4 times, so yes, its expensive, but it goes a long way
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks, Yeah I just checked the service manual and noticed it holds less then 7oz so I guess thats not to big of deal.. Rear holds 26 oz though Sad
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 6:02 pm

William, if your front diff has muddy stuff in it, you need to look at routing your breather tube up as high as possible in underneath your hood.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Also, the seals on the front diff are very small, and pressure washing will push water past the seals. Just something to keep in mind
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Craig_C wrote:
Also, the seals on the front diff are very small, and pressure washing will push water past the seals. Just something to keep in mind

Good point
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 12:35 am

I got it pretty well cleaned out. I changed all the other fluids and they were all clean. I checked the vent line and its pretty high up. Just going to make sure I change it a little more often and keep an eye on it. Its by far the easiest to change anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil   Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil Empty

Back to top Go down

Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil
Page 1 of 1