SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tool box must haves...

Go down 
+13
Smith700
2Slow4U
Gimpy
Big-R
BIG D 57
chipper
nocerisdave
Craig_C
GunRunner
bigbore
roadiestar
PWM
KY. Colonel
17 posters
AuthorMessage
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

Tool box must haves... Empty
PostSubject: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm

I am putting some general hand tools together for a"ride bag", what are the must haves?
Back to top Go down
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 4:28 pm

plugs and compressor
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 4:53 pm

PWM wrote:
plugs and compressor

That don't work for me I need spare tires. I even stopped carrying plugs.
Back to top Go down
bigbore
SSXSRider Member
bigbore

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Basic set of sockets with ratchet, make sure you have a deep well socket that fits your lug nuts, outdoor first aid kit, water proof container with toilet paper. Zip ties and push pins for polaris owners lol! (thank smith 700 for that one)
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 5:20 pm

cell phone, credit card and my 45. + that stuff already said
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 5:36 pm

It really comes down to what machine you have.

Heres what I do.....pick out thing to do to your machine that you 1. Carry parts for, and 2. Can fix on the trail.

Put away ALL your tools
Perform the task (i.e. belt change) using only the MINIMUM tools required to do so. No use in taking tools that you dont have parts for.

Zip ties, electrical tape, fuses, a good pair of pliers, a small hacksaw
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Liquor.
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 6:25 pm

nocerisdave wrote:
Liquor.

I'll drink to that. It's my favorite tool. Bottoms Up
Back to top Go down
BIG D 57
SSXSRider Member
BIG D 57

Number of posts : 2087
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 8:57 pm

All above , plus small roll duck tape, small vice grips for pliers, and flask to share with buds that help!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:06 pm

BIG D 57 wrote:
All above , plus small roll duck tape, small vice grips for pliers, and flask to share with buds that help!!!!!!!!!!

I'll HELP!!!!! thatsright
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:27 pm

2 extra 12 shot clips for my S&W. The wife is optional. hide
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:32 pm

roadiestar wrote:
PWM wrote:
plugs and compressor

That don't work for me I need spare tires. I even stopped carrying plugs.

I practice "safe slow-mo..." I carry a spare & jack, plus plugs and a compressor...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 pm

All the things said above^^^

Wrench with socket that fits the lug nuts.
Spare tie-rod ends, spark plugs, ball joints, small tool set, spare belt, small bottle jack, a bottle of oil, spare KEY (trust me, I have had people show up for a ride and forgot the keys for their machine), jumper cables...most of this is the main necessities.

On a RZR, I took the "T-Bar" out and welded a socket with the lug nut size in the end of the tubing for my buddy's....works really well!
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:22 pm

I carry alot of stuff. I have gone through a metric ton of tire plugs, especially when I was running ITP tires.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:40 pm

If your following Little-Smith (Or Bobby-D) on over-grown trails, a Flame-thrower to burn the ATV sized limbs out of the way..................... roflmao
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:44 pm

ridepate wrote:
If your following Little-Smith (Or Bobby-D) on over-grown trails, a Flame-thrower to burn the ATV sized limbs out of the way..................... roflmao

If you are following Bobby D, you better have a map or GPS, because that dude aint waiting on nobody. I heard he even left his own kid behind once because he took too long taking a leak. lol!
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 12:06 am

AIRBORNE wrote:
ridepate wrote:

If you are following Bobby D, you better have a map or GPS, because that dude aint waiting on nobody. I heard he even left his own kid behind once because he took too long taking a leak. lol!

And he's slow.............I'd knock him in the bushes, if it wasn't for the bushes...... roflmao Or the 1000 mud-puddles of the "Fagg'in Wheel" he loves........... ownedsm
Back to top Go down
Doc
SSXSRider Member
Doc

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 10:55 am

If you still have room, add some stretch wrap on a handle. You catch it quick enough you can save a CV joint on the trail by wrapping the torn boot. This can be purchased at Lowes in the shipping supply section.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:36 pm

I carry a tool bag with a few odd and ends.. Stuff to change a belt and plug a tire.. Few hose clamps,spare bolts, zip ties, duck tape, ect. Just a small tool bag with the basics.
The stock lugs on a RZR are 17mm. I welded a 1/2 extension to my T-bar instead of just a socket.. That way I can use other sockets like 1 1/2 socket for the axle nut.

I also have a large plastic tool box I keep at camp. I keep an airfilter, oil, coolant, front and rear diff fluid. One complete front axle and one complete rear axle.. It all stays in the box so when we go on a ride I just grab that box. I leave my tool bag, jumper cables, first aid kit and two tow straps in my RZR all the time.. Doesn't matter if I ride around the house or 5 hours away.. I use to take stuff out or pack light for short trips ect.. I'd always forget to put something back so now I just pack a happy medium and keep it in the RZR all the time..
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Doc wrote:

If you still have room, add some stretch wrap on a handle. You catch it quick enough you can save a CV joint on the trail by wrapping the torn boot. This can be purchased at Lowes in the shipping supply section.

Thats one I never would have thought of. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tool box must haves...   Tool box must haves... Empty

Back to top Go down

Tool box must haves...
Page 1 of 1