SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal

Go down 
+2
Big-R
chipper
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal Empty
PostSubject: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Ok, in my fun over the weekend my snorkel came loose and ended up flooding my clutch with mud. I've taken the cover off and hosed everything down, pulled the belt and cleaned it up really well.

Now my primary doesn't seem to slide back and forth really well, it probably needs to be taken apart and clean really well. Do I need a clutch tool to take both of them apart to clean? Does anyone have decent instructions or a link as to what I need to do? I have a 2011 rzr.

Also, I have to replace the water pump seal on her. It doesn't look too bad, anyone have any comments on that?
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Anyone???
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Don't do snorkels, or mud for that exact reason. It ruins stuff. Your sliders are probably full of junk, you will need to pull the primary probably. I think Todd @ Hunterworks had a RZR clutch pull vid at one time, might want to check there.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:42 pm

ridepate wrote:
..... Your sliders are probably full of junk, you will need to pull the primary probably.

But does he need a tool for that. I am not sure because I have never had mine off...
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks Pate, I'll check it out in the morning and see what I can do. I just have to learn that I don't have a honda anymore and I can't play like I use to. So far all of my damage is self induced from stuff that I knew to do but I hadn't done yet.

With the whole clutch thing the wife had to sit on the door and knocked the snorkel lose at the one fitting that wasn't glued. Mud was thrown straight down inside the clutch cover.

I just need to remember, Not a Honda, Not a Honda, Not a Honda...
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Big-R wrote:
ridepate wrote:
..... Your sliders are probably full of junk, you will need to pull the primary probably.

But does he need a tool for that. I am not sure because I have never had mine off...

I think I've read that maybe I can take the primary off but to do any indepth cleaning I'll have to make or buy the "tool"... Maybe???
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 am

This will tell you all you ever wanted to know about a RZR clutch. Beware it is information overload. In order to pull the clutch, the primary especialy I would highly recommend to read all you can. The primary is not that complicated but it does need to go back together in specific steps.

http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/18519-links-blackbarts-clutch-threads.html

You will need a primary pulling tool,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-RZR-RZR-S-CLUTCH-PULLER-TOOL-MUST-4-EPI-INSTALL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a60845443QQitemZ250727388227QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_597wt_1008,

or go to you local hardware store and get a 3/4 16 bolt 3 to 3 1/2 inches long with at least 1 1/2 inches of thread. The diameter beyond the threads will need to be smaller than 3/4 or .750, for relief. You will need a 5/8 x 3" long piece of steel, all-thread, dowel pin or just simple re-bar will work. Once you have pulled the OEM bolt that holds the primary on to the shaft the 5/8 "pin" will go in the hole and then thread the bolt in. Be careful how you hold the clutch its cast aluminum and will break. You need to have contact with at least two areas while you are applying enough pressure to the puller. Once off you will need something to hold the spider. I used a piece of wood and cut slots in it to hold it. Then you can unscrew the two parts. You can Follow Black Barts instructions on how to disassemble the primary.

Now since you have the primary off check the shaft bearing. I believe you have an 08? If so it should spin freely in both directions. Or if you have engine breaking, or one way bearing, it should spin one way only. It is critical that the bearing spins freely and has no flat spots or is loose, or you will be doing this again after two or three rides to replace it. The bearing also needs to be cleaned and greased.

If you havent already add a clutch kit now is the time to do it. Its one of the best mods you can perform cheaply, IMO.

Let us know how it works out.

Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:27 pm

hey Chip one quick thing to try. I know it may make you go..HUH??? Leave the belt off, put the cover back on and fill it with water, run the machine, drain. soak with some lube. I know it sounds a little hokey, but I've seen it work.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:13 pm

ridepate wrote:
hey Chip one quick thing to try. I know it may make you go..HUH??? Leave the belt off, put the cover back on and fill it with water, run the machine, drain. soak with some lube. I know it sounds a little hokey, but I've seen it work.

hmmm.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:47 pm

ridepate wrote:

Come to think of it. A buddy of mine flooded his clutch housing on his Rhino. It was packed with mud. He took the garden hose to it and it worked fine. But that was a Yamaha....... Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal 13435 hide
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:51 pm

ridepate wrote:

That's worth a shot, it'll definately clean things out I guess. What kinda lube would you suggest? I've been busy all day and just got back home. It'll probably be monday before i have time to jack with it much.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 7:50 pm

ridepate wrote:

I know a guy that did that every so often with his Grizzly. Just to clean the dirt out.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Being a RZR or Polaris clutch it's not packed with grease like a Rhino. I'd try it until your drain-water runs clear, then hit the moving-parts with some white-lube. DON"T get it on the pulleys, if you do, get it off with some cleaner, carb-cleaner, gas, ect....Like I say, maybe not the way a perfectionist would do it, but it just may be the ticket for ya. Oh and it can be done with the belt on also, a clean belt is a good belt.........But sure to race the motor so the primary will move.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 am

Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks dave. I never found anything good but looking in the manual it didn't look too bad. I figures about a 6pack or less. I picked up the seal yesterday.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 4:02 pm

chipper wrote:
Thanks dave. I never found anything good but looking in the manual it didn't look too bad. I figures about a 6pack or less. I picked up the seal yesterday.

The most important thing is did you get the six pack?
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 9:38 pm

nocerisdave wrote:
chipper wrote:

The most important thing is did you get the six pack?

Hell I got 30 just in case. Chug
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Honestly I would probably give the water thing a go.. I've had water in mine before and I've seen others fill theirs up. So at the least the water shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't try to drive it around with water in there of course..

Or like dave said. Maybe pull it apart and clean it properly. While your in there do a clutch kit. I haven't talked to anyone that regrets adding one.. Some had to mess with theirs more then they would have liked.. But once right everyone seems to say its worth it..
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 am

Well, I got the water pump seal taken off yesterday, it wasn't too bad at all. The only rough part was getting the seal out, but no leaks.

I put the cover back on the clutch and filled with water and ran the shit out of it, drained and dried it out. Then I lubed up everything I could get at and I think the primary slid a little better but it's not where it needs to be. I'm going to try to get the parts I need for a puller today and get the primary off and see what i can do with it once I get it off. I appreciate the suggestions but it didn't work this time.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:10 am

Chipper make sure you clean and re-grease two way the bearing. The two way, original OEM, is not sealed and water and trash are probably in there. It sounds like your weights are worn at the bolt hinge. There should be some slack in them but not much. .030 to .040 at the most. Also just an FYI there are two thin washers on either side of the bearing. I dont know what they are made of but its not metallic and if they have got hot enough they will melt or break. If they are still there....the bearing is probably still OK if they are not, the bearing has been very hot and most likely burnt.
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 am

dave, I really know nothing about clutches, just really what i've read over the last week since brimstone. Is the two way bearing on the primary on the first housing that comes off? I've got about 600 miles and it really seems that something needs grease/lubed in a really bad way, kinda like messing with an old cougar, just too dry roflmao

I got stuck in a hole, the wife jumped on the door due to the incline we were on and grabbed the roll bar. When she did she knocked my intake snorkel lose on the one joint I left loose so I could take the bed off. Mud flew up and right into it and sucked straight into it. That's why I believe it just needs lubing.

Do I need the spider tool to get to the bearing? I'm off now to get to the what I need to pull the primary, I hope.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 pm

The bearing is between the two halves. So yes you would need to take it apart. As for the spider....I used a piece of 2 x 12 and cut some slots with a skill saw to hold it. You will also need a hole in the middle. I screwed the board to another 2 x12 to keep from braking the board. I used a vice and some dowel pins to hold it the first time.....I didnt break anything but I also felt like I was going to break something at any time.

I dont believe the bearing is your problem. Its just easier to go ahead and do some PM while you have it broken down. It sounds like you gonna have to break it down anyway. The problem is somewhere inside the clutch. Several things could be causing the problem, hopefully its just needs cleaning. There is no grease on an OEM driven RZR clutch except the bearing. Grease or lube, which belt dust would stick to, will just cause you more problems. With that few miles I would think it just needs cleaning. But you never know till you get in there.

Sounds to me like its your wifes fault anyway. Make her fix it. Smiles And if you get her to....let me know how the hell you did it.
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Well, I took it apart and played with it the best I could and finally gave up and took down to corbin motorsports. I got the call that said it was shot. He could replace all bushings in the primary and new belt and would probably be ok, cost around $400-$450... New primary would be $650 new.

Has anyone changed out their primary and have the old one sitting around and want to sell it? If I buy a new one I'll upgrade I'm sure but not wanting to do it just yet.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Can you post some pics of the wear? 600 miles just doesnt sound right. There is only one bushing that would prevent the clutch for going from closed to wide open. Have you ever had to replace the belt?
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Im picking it up in the morning at the shop. The belt now needs to be replaced because of the clutch not disengaging. Its not that it's wore out, just all the mud in it has damaged and scratched the sliding surfaces I was told . I know the primary when I rev it up is very jerky and not a smooth fluid like move. I can post some pics when I get it tomorrow. I've got a video of it I'll post when I get home

I did find a primary in colorado for $200 if it fits. Off an 09 s and a brand new belt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal   Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal Empty

Back to top Go down

Dirty Clutches & Water Pump Seal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next