SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?   Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 8:38 am

I've only used my winch a couple times, and try to wind the cable back on the spool nice and flat and neat. But it won't stay that way. I hate to leave it TOO TIGHT and under too much tension to keep it that way. Any other options? Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?   Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 8:53 am

Best thing I can tell you is to use a wireless remote (like the Warn) and hold the hook and slowly use the remote to walk it in while keeping tension on it. I want to swap my cable for a synthetic rope when I get back. They are easier to manage, IMO.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?   Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks Chris, I'll give that a try again.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?   Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 11:48 am

10-4 what chris said. I always hold mine when going back in so you can get it on the spool even.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?   Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 11:50 am

You have to have it a little tight so it wont unwind Tick. Can your wife hold the button while you walk it in?
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?   Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 pm

When I take mine out to clean it and all I'll hook it off on the truck and have the wife steer it in. I'll have her turn the wheel to keep it tight spool then turn the wheel slightly the otherway so that it will wind up nice and tight. Do that and it'll look like it did from the factory.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?   Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks guys. I have the R/C deal on my Ramsey. I guess I just haven't taken enough care to do it right. Will take care of that right soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?   Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone care to share a tip or three about winch cable?
Page 1 of 1