SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Windrock to Tackett Creek

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
70BOSS302

70BOSS302

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-06-04

Windrock to Tackett Creek Empty
PostSubject: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:37 am

For those of you that have done this, or want to do this, can you provide some (any) help on how this ride might be done. I have Dan's maps loaded in my Garmin and I also checked out the Google Earth verison, but when you get out of the windrock area, I not too familiar withe any of the surrounding areas. Could anyone help with possible routes to take? I found this off the internet, but the exits off I-75 are throwing me off.

1st leg: WR trailhead to the east side of Exit 141, I-75 (1st refueling stop), via way of Caryville Flats, Turley, Exit 144, I-75, then trails 10 & 12 to the service station.

2nd leg: Exit 141 to McLean's Rock, Tackett Creek area, via Peabody Gap, Duff Rd, Davis Creek Rd, Koker Knob, Childress Gap (rock climb), Stout Knob, and the Sand Cave.

3rd leg: McLean's Rock back to Exit 141 (2nd refueling stop), via Tackett Creek Rd, a trail @ Little Tackett Creek thru Clay Gap to Davis Creek Rd, Westbourne Rd to Cotula Rd and W Cotula Ln, over Brushy Mtn to Peabody Gap, Town Rock, Ab Hollow, Hickory Creek Falls, and McNew Gap.

4th leg: Exit 141 back to WR trailhead, via Titus Creek trail and Rd, Turley, Eternal Flame, Montgomery, Smoky Junction, Shea, County Line Bridge, Hwy 116 to the Low Water Bridge and Phillips Cemetery Rd, up the mountain to WR G7 and back to the trail head.

If I was much more familiar with the area, I am sure this wold make more sense, but it doesn't. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Somehow I missed this...

That round trip is about 185 miles. It can be done in one day provided you start early and stay late... and ride like you stole it in between. I did it once this way... not again. If I ever do it again, I'll spend the night somewhere in the Tackett area.

That route has several trails thrown in to keep it interesting. There is also quite a bit of gravel/pavement riding also.
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Is all that a legal ride?
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

PostSubject: Re: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Are you inferring that we would do something illegal? Windrock to Tackett Creek 13435
Back to top Go down
poolboy

poolboy

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Dan wrote:
Are you inferring that we would do something illegal? Windrock to Tackett Creek 13435

roflmao roflmao lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
girdlerrzr
SSXSRider Member
girdlerrzr

Number of posts : 824
Registration date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 6:42 am

if you can make it to tackett then you could actually make it on to around the gatliff/williamsburg,ky area if u wanted to go farther lol
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:31 pm

No never!! Just curious what all is involved.
Back to top Go down
70BOSS302

70BOSS302

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 12:24 pm

roflmao Everythings legal till you get caught isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

PostSubject: Re: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Craig_C wrote:
No never!! Just curious what all is involved.
The two best things would be a good, soft, easy riding seat and some saddle-sore ointment...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windrock to Tackett Creek   Windrock to Tackett Creek Empty

Back to top Go down

Windrock to Tackett Creek
Page 1 of 1