SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Couple more newb questions...

Go down 
+9
nocerisdave
Smith700
Dean
Big-R
Stakk
Woodtick
Craig_C
wvyankee2
SCRIDER
13 posters
AuthorMessage
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-02-09

Couple more newb questions... Empty
PostSubject: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 am

I have definitley decided to go with a Rhino, I'm going to look at a couple this week, I'm trying to find one more on the stock side so i can do the mods myself, thats half the fun in owning a machine IMO. This will be my first belt driven machine, i've always owned Honda ATV's. Is there anything i need to do to the belt or case to protect the belt from water to decrease the chance of it slipping or getting wet? Is there an upgrade belt that should be installed before hitting the mountains? Where do most of you get your parts at a good deal for Rhinos and where do i buy the radiator guard that keeps mud off of it, i keep hearing about. Apparently overheating issues and this is supposed to help. Thanks again for answering my "new guy" questions that probably seem pretty trivial to most of you veterans. I have only been a member for a week and the support has been outstanding already. I'm about to go orange! thatsright
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:49 am

Rhino's belts have no issues. Always good to keep a spare though. Get a Yamaha stock belt. There is no better than that.

As far as mud in the radiator goes. Just get it clean after every ride and you will have no issue. It is tricky to get in there with a hose and clean it though. You have to spray through the fan to get the center of the radiator good and clean. Flush it out real good after every ride. I never had a overheating problem with my 660 in 2600 miles i put on it.

RedNeckRanger made up a copper tubing piece that attached to the garden hose that was good for cleaning. PM him and ask about it.
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 12:52 pm

The 700 rhinos are more prone to clogging the radiator. Just depends on how you ride! Make sure it stays clean

The belt housing has a drain plug in it, nothing to worry about!
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:38 pm

I meant to answer your other post about the Rhino and for some reason didn't?? I have an 09, 450 that I bought new and have NEVER wanted for more. I'm not a speed demon like some on this board. Just isn't important to me. I too am a hunter and it's ability to carry a couple deer and everything we need for a day is more important to me. The only issue I ever had with mine was a fuel pump. I replaced it and no more problems yet. Although the fuel pumps on them have a very bad rep and I bought a spare and carry it in my tool box all the time. The beauty of all this is just this: that's why they make all different kinds of these things because not all of us want the same thing. Mine does all I ask of it and more. I'm very happy with it. Good luck.
Couple more newb questions... Farm%2011-11-10%20013
Back to top Go down
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks woodtick. I'm on the hunt for a Rhino. It is definitely the machine to suit me from everything i have read and researched (ALOT).
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:17 pm

If the Rhino has more than 2500-3000 miles on it, it may be a good idea to service the clutch, pull apart clean all the old dried grease from the roller weights, re-grease and re assemble, thats about all the maintanance the Yami clutch needs
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:19 pm

The best thing about the Yamaha is the belt drive. I have 2600 miles on my rhino belt (I got a thousand miles on the RZR belt). You will not have a problem.
Back to top Go down
Dean
SSXSRider Member
Dean

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 am

IF you do by a spare belt go with stock i bought a big high performance belt didnt last no time went back to the stock belt no more problems i have a rhino that i love 10,xxx on it with hardly any problems i ride it alot in the winter got a heater in it dont get cold i think you will not regret the rhino choice
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 5:05 pm

No issues, I have a 09 700. No problems, never had a clogged radiator in 4 years of owning it. It gets ridden every weekend. No axle problems, and I have a built motor, depends on how you take care of your machine. I love mine and I have rode every trail at Windrock, Brimstone, Royal Blue, and many others....and there hasn't been a place it hasn't gone.
Back to top Go down
Dean
SSXSRider Member
Dean

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Smith what did you break at windrock last oct to much power uplaugh AXLE
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Lil Smith....how many miles on that Rhino....... pot
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Yea I had examined it a little more and I had a busted boot, which caused all the grease to come out, and a stick got in the bearing......

Couple more newb questions... Img_5012

Smiles
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Smith700 wrote:
No issues, I have a 09 700. No problems, never had a clogged radiator in 4 years of owning it. It gets ridden every weekend. No axle problems, and I have a built motor, depends on how you take care of your machine. I love mine and I have rode every trail at Windrock, Brimstone, Royal Blue, and many others....and there hasn't been a place it hasn't gone.

My 660 I never had any issues with the radiator clogging. Had a few buddies with 700's that did however. Its not a big deal if you dont ride balls out though, as that was the only time they would get hot.

Now axle problems.....that was another story! But, take that with a grain of salt.....we ride hard!
Back to top Go down
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Looking forward to it, do most of you guys run the maxxis bighorns? I'm kinda of prone to hit a hole when i see one,nothing too major but i dont mind jumping off in one. I have always ran mudlights which are "decent" in the mud but a great trail tire, im wondering if the mud light XTR would be a good fit for a SXS. Also cant help but look at the outlaw radial but i do a lot more trail riding than mud digging, theres no way they are a good trail tire...just sayin. Also seen a 660 on CL with Kendra Executioners, man they looked good but again, cant be a good trail tire. What ya'll think about great trail tires that allow you to "dive off in to something if your in the mood."
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 9:51 pm

SCRIDER wrote:
Looking forward to it, do most of you guys run the maxxis bighorns? I'm kinda of prone to hit a hole when i see one,nothing too major but i dont mind jumping off in one. I have always ran mudlights which are "decent" in the mud but a great trail tire, im wondering if the mud light XTR would be a good fit for a SXS. Also cant help but look at the outlaw radial but i do a lot more trail riding than mud digging, theres no way they are a good trail tire...just sayin. Also seen a 660 on CL with Kendra Executioners, man they looked good but again, cant be a good trail tire. What ya'll think about great trail tires that allow you to "dive off in to something if your in the mood."

XTR's are a great tire for the Rhino. That is what I always ran.
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:28 pm

SCRIDER wrote:

I had kendas and outlaws and outlaw radials all on my rhino at somepoint.... there is a reason i have already got a set of outlaw radials on my commander and my bighorn take offs are still at 90 % sitting in the corner of the shop.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:13 am

Dean wrote:
Smith what did you break at windrock last oct to much power uplaugh AXLE

Whoops.............busted......Can't say nothing tho, I broke an axle in in mid-air.....

Really tho, stopping up a radiator is just from pure stupidity, nothing else. Ease into those muddy spots and you won't have a problem.
Back to top Go down
Joe.USMC

Joe.USMC

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:50 am

I have XTR's on my Rhino and they have done great. They are a radial tire and wear and ride very nice!
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 am

Smith700 wrote:
Yea I had examined it a little more and I had a busted boot, which caused all the grease to come out, and a stick got in the bearing......

Couple more newb questions... Img_5012

Smiles

Your digital dash is failing Smith. That eight looks like a two. hide
Back to top Go down
mason
SSXSRider Member
mason

Number of posts : 2247
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:50 am

uplaugh scratch pic is worth a 1000 words ownedsm Eat
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Love the Bighorns.......about 5000 miles you can get out of a set.

Just took the XTRs off my Grizzly and put them on the Rhino......
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Smith700 wrote:
Love the Bighorns.......about 5000 miles you can get out of a set.

Just took the XTRs off my Grizzly and put them on the Rhino......

Sorry on the eight poke.....that five in your digital dash is backwards, FYI. Just messin Smith. hide

Hijack
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple more newb questions...   Couple more newb questions... Empty

Back to top Go down

Couple more newb questions...
Page 1 of 1