SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bought a Rhino, couple questions...

Go down 
+4
ridepate
nocerisdave
Hollon
SCRIDER
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-02-09

Bought a Rhino, couple questions... Empty
PostSubject: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 9:31 pm

I bought an 05 660 yesterday and have been pleased other than the loud cab noise from the exhaust. The exhaust is stock but seems to maybe be louder than normal or just plain wore out. Maybe this is normal, this is the first SXS i've been around. It has a roof, windshield and a rear "canvas/plastic" enclosure/window. It's loud enough that you have to speak pretty loud to talk to the passenger, even at 5-10 mph. Is this normal and due to the roof, winshield and rear enclosure or do i have an exhaust issue? By the way i will post pics soon, bought new wheels and Outlaw MST's for it before i brought it home, hope to get them put on tomorrow and get some pics, got a great deal on it. Also has CDI and possibly machined sheave, it will run 54-55 with the 25" tires that are on it now.
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Use some good heat wrap tape on the exhaust then insulate the inside of that engine cover with some heat resistant sound proofing that will make a huge difference
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Check to see if the seal between the header and muffler is still there. They are graphite and get blow out over time. I would also look for pin hole leaks in the header. Insulate under both seats will help too. If there is anything other than the stock air filter.....that could also make it loud. Is the stock air filter cover still on the machine? If not that makes it very loud too. Other than that Rhinos are just plain loud in the cab, but not at 5-10 MPH.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 1:02 am

It could be more the intake, not the exhaust....
Back to top Go down
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:46 am

This is great advice, i will check all of this out today. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 am

660 Rhino's are really loud in the cab.....even when they are new.
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:53 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
660 Rhino's are really loud in the cab.....even when they are new.

thatsright thatsright
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm

What makes me think it could be any of these things is the 5-10 MPH and 'having to talk pretty load to the passenger'. I dont remember my 660 being that loud at 5-10 MPH, but then again I dont remember a lot of things. scratch
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:59 am

It could have the intake-vaccume-cleaner mod done to it....What was that called?? I forget...
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 5:20 am

the exhaust pipe cracked on my 05. raise the bed and wiggle the pipe some...........
Back to top Go down
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 8:41 pm

I will try that Rob, after riding it more, the best way to describe it is a loud "rattle" under the bed area. Minus the rattle, it wouldnt be too terrible. It smooths out at certain RPM's and is an acceptable noise level. I would still like to do the heat resistant noise insulation on th engine cover but havent had any luck finding it yet.I checked the auto parts store as well as Lowes. I know of Dynamat fo car audio but i'm not sureif it is heat resistant and it is very exspensive. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Thinking about it.....do you have any backfiring? Thats a sure sign of a crack or the graphite missing.
Back to top Go down
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 6:30 pm

No backfiring, the exhaust seems fine from what i can tell. I'm starting to think it's the bed rattling. Have any of you tried the kevlar looking dust shield they are selling on ebay? It goes under the seats and about 1/4 up the rear openening. Says it helps with heat too but it also seems like it would help some on noise reduction in the cab. I'm thinking about buying one, looks pretty neat. It has small bag in between the seat with drink holders. Anyone have this one?
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 6:45 pm

my bed rattled i bought a couple of 3/4 inch rubber pads about 1/8 thick and placed them on the point where the bed contacts the frame ,, problem cured ,, try that its cheap fix !! got them at wal mart
Back to top Go down
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks Cajun, i will do that tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bought a Rhino, couple questions...   Bought a Rhino, couple questions... Empty

Back to top Go down

Bought a Rhino, couple questions...
Page 1 of 1