SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tire and wheel question

Go down 
+6
shawnley1222
GODAWGS
Big-R
GunRunner
wvyankee2
jimrs
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jimrs

jimrs

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Tire and wheel question Empty
PostSubject: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 2:58 pm

I have just bought a new '08 Rhino 700 SE and need some tires. I plan to keep the stock tires and wheels for use in the yard and road around the house. My question is what is the best tire and wheel combo to use for trail (pipeline, highline,and muddy trails. I have looked at ITP mud lite XTR, Maxxis Mudzilla's, and Outlaw. The ITP XTR's in 27" are the most affordable by a few dollars. My son has Outlaws 28 X 9.5 X 12 on the front and 28 X 12 X 12 on the back. I am afraid that would cause too much wear on the Rhino parts. He has a 06 Rhino with aftermaket exhaust and a CDI. I don't know if he has anymore stuff added as he got it used. I don't know which ones I need I keep looking at the 27" and 28". I also would like to stay with the 12" wheels. I don't want to add spacers or lift kit yet. Any suggestions would be appriciated.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 3:19 pm

You will get a lot of different opinions from people depending on what their primary riding is like. I went with these.

Duro Power Grips, 6 Ply radial comes in 25/8/12, and 25/10/12. $71.00 at Rocky Mountain ATV for the 25/10/12.

Tire and wheel question Dur08tirpowgriqh9

Also, these wheels in a 4.0+3.0, 12". Douglas Rattlesnakes.

Tire and wheel question Dou06wherattd4

I got them here. Need to order the wheels for a 98 Honda Foreman if you want that offset.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.do;jsessionid=923E6731905335E471DA6ADD3C44B72A.westring1

I like both wheels and tires very much and they have been very good in all kinds of terrain. But, If I was a big mud bogger, I would have gone with these. They are Super Grip Super Lights.

Tire and wheel question Superlighttreadvm1

You can get them here:

http://www.outdoorsmanatv.com/index.html

I had the Super Grips on a 2004 Honda Foreman and would not hesitate to buy them again if I wanted a Mud tire.

These are just my opinions and I'm sure will here from others with what they have liked with their experiences. Hope this helps. :) I would also not go over 26" on a tire myself because it robs too much power.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Just remember the bigger you go on tires the more power it robs, also you get clearance issues too. Best setup with most gain would be 26" and not bigger.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 4:33 pm

I have XTR's. I think this is the best all around tire. Great through the mud, over the rocks and up the hills. I agree with Gunny and Yank, 26" tires are the biggest I would put on the rhino. I go every where I want to go. I have 26x(9/11)x12. Moreover, If you buy ITP wheels you get a life time warranty. Bend or break, they will replace Wink

My $.02
Back to top Go down
GODAWGS

GODAWGS

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 4:41 pm

I got the XTR's and love them, bought mine at motoxmall.com
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 4:51 pm

I have Swamp Lites and love them but down in FL all there really is is mud so need mud tires...mine are 29s but it so i can go deep and not be too worried but 27s dont rob as much as they make it seem but bigger the more it does rob but i still turn mine pretty good
Back to top Go down
GODAWGS

GODAWGS

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Mine will turn them pretty good
Back to top Go down
Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 6:21 pm

For the type of riding you are talking about, I would go with the XTRs or something similar. The Mudzillas and Outlaws are PURE mud tires, not good on trails. I had Outlaws on my Grizz, and they would rattle your teeth out on hard pack trails, but they would go like the devil in mud. Mudzillas are the same. I wouldn't go bigger than a 27, IMO. Another tire you might look at is the Highlifter Outlaw MST.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 7:06 pm

yank - those duro look like a killer less expensive option to the bighorn - and its a 6 ply and $20 a tire cheaper there abouts...nice find...

Jim - my persoanl opinion is - unless you are going to mud nationals - stick with 26's....

26's in a bighorn i know run like 27's.... now for serious mud tires... like a mudzilla or mudweiser... i would think this to be the same....

now for wheels.... again, this just my opinion, but I am adament about it - 12 inch wheels are the only option for the rhino - 14's are overkill and 12's have just as many tire options IF you dont go over 26"

My whole reasoning for this.... is the rhino abilities (or lack there of) to turn anything bigger than a BIG 26 or a true 27.... especially in that gumbo you will probably be in...

if oyu need more clearance - DONT DO IT WITH TIRES... do it with a lift and aftermarket shocks.

as always - just my thoughts - please let us know what you get - take pics and WELCOME to the money pit support group - aka SOUTHERN SXS RIDERS

best of luck - stand back - it gets addicting!

cheers
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 8:23 pm

it seems if i go too long with a new mod of any sort i get a twitch while welding at work and it suffers lol! it sure is addicting and never ends....GO BIG or GO HOME 29s :D dont let em scare you pot
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 8:27 am

I have 25" XTR's and like them. I ride the trails and mud of WV mostly. I do wish I had gone with beadlocks. Popped a XTR off on 20F temps and had a tough time setting the bead. Now I run 10psi before was 7psi. I'd like some beadlocks so I could run 6psi or so.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 8:34 am

Also -- not sure what hills you ride. We have a couple that I like to take the Rhino up but probably should not. I'm talking 300 to 500 ft long and steep enough that you cannot stand on. Before my rejet I could top several of the hills in Low WOT at 3mph or so. This was after starting the hill at 15+ mph. After the rejet I can now do it at 10mph or so at the top. No way would I go larger than the stock 25's if you plan on some really steep and long hill climbs.

The Low Range gearing on the Rhino is not low enough as is. Bigger tires just make it worse. Not much you can do about it below 10mph since the belt is bottomed on the sheave.
Back to top Go down
jimrs

jimrs

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 9:13 am

I think I am going out today and look locally at wheel / tire combo's. I don't know what I will find but I will look around. I think that 26 or 27 is as big as I want to go. There is a High Lifter store in Shreveport and I will go there also a Rhino dealer down in Mansfield That only sells Rhino's and accessories he is a big accessory dealer might make it down there also. As soon as I figure it out I will post some pictures.

The best deal I have found online is ATV Direct on the ITP Mud Light XTR 26" @ $716.00 and the 27" @ $762.00 With the same kind of wheels I already have only ITP brand and free shipping. So who knows?

'08 Rhino 700 SE
Midnight Armor
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 9:49 am

Roammer hit one thing I forgot to mention (even though I have them)...

IMO - beadlock wheels are a must!! I also recommend a 5+2 up front and 2+5 offset in the rear.... added stability and let the wheel work for you if you are going to spend $ on wheels...

I recommend atvoutfitters.net

if you know the exact wheel (size, offset and finish) and exact tire - then email this guy and he will email a quote to you... he is SC so its lil more local than CA.... matthewbell@atvoutfitters.net

but my rhino dealer matched his prices and gave me free shipping....
Back to top Go down
jimrs

jimrs

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 8:45 am

I went to High Lifter and felt that I was disturbing the guy there. I wanted to see some tires and wheels and he wanted to look on the computer and see what I wanted. I did see the wheels I wanted but he said they were old style. I asked about the ITP XTR's and he said they are too expensive. So he quoted me a price for Outlaws and some fancy ITP wheel and I left. I drove down to Mansfield to the dealer down there. He had every tire I have seen on the internet and a bunch of wheels. He recomened that I don't go over 27" and stay with 12" wheels. He showed me The Outlaw M/S. and the ITP Mud 585 M/S and the ITP Mud light XRT. He Recommended that ITP mudlight XRT in 27" as that is what he runs on his Rhino 450. So I ordered a set to pick up today all he had on those tires were 14". He was a little higher than the price on the net but he threw in the tax and any other charges and so for about $38.00 more than the net I get to get them today no waiting for UPS.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 9:28 am

good to hear - get em on - take a pic - post a pic - and let us know what you like and dont like about em!!

sometimes local can be just as cheap as the net - especially when you factor shipping and extras! Also sounds like the Mansfield fella steered you in the right direction.... did you ask him if his 450 was stock as far as engine mods???
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 11:27 pm

High Lifter guy's wife: Let me do a computer lookup for the body part you'd like to touch.
How would he like that, reckon?

Congrats on the new stuff!! Get us'uns some pics... STAT!
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:34 am

Avoid the Perelli Mudwisers!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:53 am

yea, ive got 28s and wish mine was smaller now..
Back to top Go down
jimrs

jimrs

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm going to try and post some pictures, I hope this works. I drove down the street and found that they handle as good as the stock tires did on blacktop. And it looks like I have not lost any power or top speed. I hit 42 pretty fast, it runs real good and smooth around 35 to 38 M.P.H. So far I am happy with them. I will know more this week-end as we are going trail riding. Let you know more then. I just noticed that the front tires are on the wrong side. I guess I will have to go out and change that Unless I use the front tires for
backing up and the back tires to go forward. I should have
had my glasses on while installing them.

Tire and wheel question IMG_0283Small
Tire and wheel question IMG_0284Small
Tire and wheel question IMG_0277Small
Tire and wheel question IMG_0282Small
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 3:39 pm

looks good - just flop right anf left front - should straighten out that tread pattern Wink

look nice though!!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 4:09 pm

Yep, got ya some cool diggers now. cheers
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 5:07 pm

probably ride even smoother after the swap
Back to top Go down
jimrs

jimrs

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 11:43 am

We went out last night and rode for about 2 1/2 hours. I'm real happy with the tires, they went through some pretty deep mud and came out the other side. I only thought I was stuck once I had to drop to Low and go locked 4 wheel drive and still could not go through. I was Hi-centered coming out of the hole. I backed up and kind of went around. One wheel in the deep hole and one on dry ground. I thought that I was going to turn over. Water came in over the door but we made it through. Wife was a little P*$$@d as she got kind of wet and muddy and I was High and Dry. We are going out again tonight I have no idea where we were or where we were going but we had FUN.

There were just 3 of us last night, Tonight there should be 5 or 6 more join us. I did find that you need better lights on the Rhino. So I guess that's my next project. I guess it never ends.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 5:15 pm

glad you like em!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire and wheel question   Tire and wheel question Empty

Back to top Go down

Tire and wheel question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next