SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.

Go down 
+6
KY. Colonel
chipper
johnnybgood
njcraddock
seweljj
Woodtick
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. Empty
PostSubject: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 am

I'm 62 years old with 2 big back surgeries and 3 shoulder surgeries chalked up already. Needless to say, I'm not nearly the man I once was. There are some days when even small things are a tough chore. I ordered something this morning that should help to make my life much easier if it works as claimed. Last year I bought a new utility trailer that is 2 feet longer than my old one. It has one of those hinged drive on tailgates. Lowering and lifting that gate was really kicking my old ass, so I ordered this:
tailgate helper
Should be here middle or late next week. I'll keep you guys posted on how well it works after it gets installed. Any thoughts in advance?
Back to top Go down
seweljj
SSXSRider Member
seweljj

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 10:38 am

That looks like a really cool product. The tailgate on mine is really heavy, so if I had a bad back I would look into purchasing one of those. I suspect you will be very happy with it.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 am

I've seen those and have wondered how effective they were. Hopefully it will be the ticket for you. My dad used to own a trailer fabrication and repair business, The way that he approached a heavy tailgate was to either use a larger or more springs at the hinge. On his personal trailer it takes zero effort to raise and lower the gate. But to do something like that takes time, and time is money if you are paying someone to do it. The assist cables may be cheaper in the long run.
Back to top Go down
johnnybgood

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 11:16 am

I have the same set on my 16 foot trailer with a 7 foot wide gate. I bought mine here in Knoxville at Nothern tool and I love them. Take your time and set it up right and you will love them. I can put my toe under my gate and flip it up waist high. The reason why I say take you time is because I bought mine with two other guys and one didnt hook up both springs inside. The other guy just stretched the cable over to his gate and mounted it. So his dont have enuff tension on the springs and he still bends over to pick the gate up. The way the instructions say is to put the bolts they supply thru your mesh gate and install the cables. then check the tension on the gate. If it isnt enuff you move the cable up the gate till it takes very little effort to pick the gate up. When you find your "sweet spot" you have to drill holes in the side of the gate and install the bolts perment. It will be one of the best things you have ever bought.
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 11:17 am

I've seen those and they are pretty slick operations. I just bought a new gatormade trailer back in the spring. All of their trailers with ramp gates comes with a large spring on on side. I can just kick at the gate when it's down and it'll lift right up into place. When I lower it no more slamming into the driveway either.
Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 1:54 pm

chipper wrote:
I've seen those and they are pretty slick operations. I just bought a new gatormade trailer back in the spring. All of their trailers with ramp gates comes with a large spring on on side. I can just kick at the gate when it's down and it'll lift right up into place. When I lower it no more slamming into the driveway either.

I have the same set-up Chipper, without the spring assist I couldn't lift the gate at all. The cable system looks like it might have a smoother control though.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks a million guys. I now feel a lot better about buying something sight unseen. Can't wait to get it now.
Back to top Go down
tracker1
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Yep got that on my 12 foot trailer set it up like directions says an you can flip it up with your foot half way to grab it , an putting it down just drop an mine stops about 2" from the ground. Had mine for about four years works great, had back sergury also so I know how you feel you'll love it
Back to top Go down
DOG
SSXSRider Member
DOG

Number of posts : 1305
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 pm

oh yeah i have never used one but my buddy has one on his 20 foot landscaping trailer said it works like a charm.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 7:57 pm

My dad puts them on all his landscaping trailers. Its nothing for them to make 8+ stops a day so thats a lot opening and closing the gate. He loves them.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 9:57 pm

you will kick yourself and your dog for not buying one sooner. promise roflmao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.   Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift. Empty

Back to top Go down

Not sure which room this belongs in, so it goes here! Tailgate lift.
Page 1 of 1