SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

XP vs S durabilty

Go down 
+3
8ball_99
Big-R
bacon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2011-09-06

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Are the RZR XP's any tougher than the S models?

My Rzr-S was drug outta windrock last nite due to the hub nut coming off while riding which is weird it came off so soon since it just had the frame replaced and should have been good to go for more than 2 rides. In the process of draggin it out it rippped the a-arm mounts off the frame and done alot of damage to that side of the rzr. I have had nothing but trouble out of mine and it seems like i get about 2 ride per a-arm bushings. Its spent more time in the shop than on the trail which may be from being half assed when fixed could have caused alot of those extra breaks. What im getting at is im done with mine, and thinking of trading for an XP if they are any better (durability wise).
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Well, it is still a Polaris. However, There are no A arm bushings in the rear of the machine. So that helps...
Back to top Go down
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Big-R wrote:
Well, it is still a Polaris. However, There are no A arm bushings in the rear of the machine. So that helps...

LOL You have a point. Bet you never have to replace rear a-arm bushings.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Dealers can kind of suck. The nut either wasn't installed right or the spline on the hub either striped out or broke causing the axle to spin the nut off. Both my 800s were pretty good machines.. The only parts I'd say out right suck is the bushings.. I think its because polaris seems to focus on the out west crowd.. If you ask them the bushings last a while. I did break a hub on the rear of my black one right before I sold it.. Really though I'm pretty sure it was my fault.. The bearings had play in them and knew it.. I had the new bearings sitting on the shelf just hadn't took the time to install them yet.. You really have to keep an eye on these things.. One bad bushing or egged bolt hole can screw up everything on that wheel.

XP seems beefed up a little over the 800s.. Still has the same bushing setup in the front.. Hubs probably aren't any stronger either..
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Get the real XP....... Ranger.............It will go anywhere the abovementioned will..... No shit-bushings, No need for fancy bent arms,ect.ect.ect. Maybe not as fast but slow is smooth...... thatsright

Last edited by ridepate on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:18 pm

ridepate wrote:
Get a Ranger.............It will go anywhere the abovementioned will..... Maybe not as fast. Slow is smooth...... thatsright

I have thought about it alot and have spent the last 1.5 hrs watching videos of them. Only thing that holds me back is they look really top heavy to me and ive never rode with one before. Wife is the one that is leaning towards the XP. I love the thought of all the room in a Ranger also. How about durability?
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:24 pm

bacon wrote:
ridepate wrote:
Get a Ranger.............It will go anywhere the abovementioned will..... Maybe not as fast. Slow is smooth...... thatsright

I have thought about it alot and have spent the last 1.5 hrs watching videos of them. Only thing that holds me back is they look really top heavy to me and ive never rode with one before. Wife is the one that is leaning towards the XP. I love the thought of all the room in a Ranger also. How about durability?

I have not put a wrench on it other than a self-inflicted broken-axle. I drove one of the new 900 Rangers Friday, and man was I impressed. My 800 is all I'll ever need but the 900 was astounding. Go look at one.
Back to top Go down
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:41 pm

ridepate wrote:
bacon wrote:
ridepate wrote:

I have not put a wrench on it other than a self-inflicted broken-axle. I drove one of the new 900 Rangers Friday, and man was I impressed. My 800 is all I'll ever need but the 900 was astounding. Go look at one.

Yeah i have a friend that just got an orange one. Has full doors with power windows. He isn't gonna trail ride it tho, hunting vehicle only
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

I don't know,, I've drove a ranger 800 before. Apples to oranges compared to a RZR. I guess it depends on the type of riding you do. I can tell you after owning my XP4 for a couple weeks its performance blows away the 800 RZRs.. Its something to powerslide at 30 mph and only be using half the throttle..

If you just compare them by will they get down the trail.. I mean Rhino's still do that.. Its just not as fun...
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm not arguing the point RZR VS Ranger here. My point is the Ranger will go ANYWHERE a RZR will no matter the displacement. And indeed it does depend on the riding you do. We all ride in pretty much the same terrian, not sand-dunes in this neck of the woods.

I owned an S for three months and sold it with 300 and something miles. Was it "fun"?? yes of course it was but I'm smarter (or poorer) than the average bear. I saw the issues and cost of ownership ahead and was not willing to bear those costs.
I've done more "powerslides' than probably the total-sum of everyone on this site. Big-deal, woo-whooo. I'm over that.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:06 am

They all break. Even more so with the kind of riding we do. Taking them on the extreme trails and running down the mountain 50mph getting airborne is going to wear stuff out.. Commanders break on the rides, so do the Teryxs. We even have rhinos that won't start or break axles. I'm sure if we had guys riding rangers on our group rides they would break to... The only one I can remember was at windrock and it looked about brand new.. Don't think I've seen him since.

I say if you like the XP go for it.. Get a warranty.. Yes the ball joints, bushings and tierod ends will wear out pretty fast depending on how you drive it.. If you cruise around and take it easy all that stuff will last much longer.. You won't have half as much fun though...
Back to top Go down
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:12 am

Although I don't think this has EVER happened lol! but I agree with Jimbo. Check out the rangers as they will go anywhere all be it a little slower. But on the trails, what do you average 12-15 mph?
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Hell, I would just get a Rhino. I have went everywhere with it too. thatsright

Seriously, the Ranger is a fine machine but I don't think it could go anywhere an XP could. The problem is, you have to have BIG GAINT BALLS driving both machines to find out.

So yes, for the most part the ranger will work.
Back to top Go down
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 3:46 am

Cant make up my mind what i want rite now so i think i will just work on getting it fixed for now and wait til after the first of the year and see what all is out then. Maybe some new machines will be out by then to catch my eye. On another note i drove a new XP Ranger today and i must say i did really like it and it is very smooth.
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 10:46 pm

i loved my 2010 ranger .it would go anywhere i pointed it .i just couldnt stand the seat (church pew) anymore .diff seats help but the rzr is way more comfortable for me ...and the skinny petal is a blast !
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 pm

RedNeckRanger wrote:
i loved my 2010 ranger .it would go anywhere i pointed it .i just couldnt stand the seat (church pew) anymore .diff seats help but the rzr is way more comfortable for me ...and the skinny petal is a blast !

I agree with the ergos Craig, they suck!!! The new 900 Ranger has the seats lowered and back some. Big difference. Not as RZR sportscar like, but a lot better.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Big-R wrote:

Seriously, the Ranger is a fine machine but I don't think it could go anywhere an XP could. The problem is, you have to have BIG GAINT BALLS driving both machines to find out.

It will I assure you...........In fact, it will go places a XP won't thatsright and you don't have to spend 1k to change the sand-flea rear suspension..... ownedsm
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 12:01 am

lol ok not to throw stones.. But I've NEVER seen a ranger go somewhere a Rzr could not much less an XP.. With the higher center of gravity and lower ground clearance I just don't see how they could.. That is assuming driver skill was equal. The Rangers are nice, but I just don't think I would say their performance on the trails is on par with a RZR.. Thats something I'd have to see first hand..

I'm far from a RZR fanboy.. Infact if every single person that I know that bought commanders wouldn't have had nothing but problems I probably would have been giving the 4 seater maverick a very hard look instead of buying a XP4.. But as it is I think RZRs have the SxS market for now.. There is a reason why thats pretty much all you see on the trails.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 1:28 am

All right.....
Back to top Go down
will_reed

will_reed

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2012-08-23

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:48 pm

I think it depends on HOW you ride more than WHERE you ride, I have recently taken two groups of RZRs (XP and S) to our favorite local riding area and both times I had guys tell me that the trails were as rough as they wanted to ride.

The only time I feel outgunned is on long fast straights and near vertical climbs, but I only have 32 hp.

I'm closing in on 1000 miles and haven't turned a wrench on anything other than upgrades and stuff I screwed up during upgrades. LOL!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 8:30 pm

ridepate wrote:
Big-R wrote:

It will I assure you...........In fact, it will go places a XP won't thatsright and you don't have to spend 1k to change the sand-flea rear suspension..... ownedsm

Pate, I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you but you are dead wrong. I promise you the Ranger will not go some of the places I have seen XP's go.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 11:07 pm

Xp with stock suspension.. I was there and seen it first hand.. The 800 Rzrs looked like they were in slow motion going up that hill and didn't get past about 3/4 of the way. As we all know videos dont' do hills justice. I promise this hill was very steep.. This XP was the first SxS to make it up this hill they said.. Only people that try it most of the time are in custom buggies. The owner of the land said he would pay cash to anyone in a SXS that could make it. Nothing but RZRs even entered the race. There was three different hill climbs total if I remember right. I would LOVE to see a ranger try the violator
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

XP vs S durabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP vs S durabilty   XP vs S durabilty Empty

Back to top Go down

XP vs S durabilty
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: The Machines :: Polaris-
Jump to: