SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

XP sometimes won't start

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2010-06-17

XP sometimes won't start Empty
PostSubject: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 3:39 pm

I have a 2011 XP, recent replaced the stock battery with an Odyssey 925 L because the dealer said the stock was weak.
I do not have an extended warranty.

Sometimes when I turn the key to start I either get a "click' or nothing at all. Switch the key a couple times and she starts right up.

what I have done:

1) if I hit the brakes with the key turned on - the brake lights work.
So this should eliminate the brake sensor switch correct?

2) Battery has a full charge, like I said if I turn the key off / turn to start a couple times she fires right up.

From what I read it might be solenoid or starter. Should I just replace the solenoid?

I will check for a loose wire tonight, but I doubt it.

Found a used Solenoid on Ebay for $20 shipping included.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Sounds like solenoid. But being a 2011 XP, definetly could be the starter. My 2011 starter was China junk. The magnets were glued inside of the casing instead of being bolted. On the second riding trip when it was brand new, was hot outside, glue got soft and magnets came loose. But it killed it instantly, so yours sounds more like solenoid. To eliminate starter possibility. Jump across the large wires on solenoid a few times and see if the starter engages every time. If it does, then hook a meter or test light to the small wire or wires on the solenoid. Hook to both if there are 2. If there is only 1, hook to it and put the other lead to ground. Turn key to crank position and see if you get 12 volts or lights up the test light. If you get power, then solenoid bad. If you don't, then it is farther up your control circuit (key switch, brake pedal switch, broken wire, etc.)
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Does it do anything when you first turn the key over?
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Baditude wrote:

I wouldn't recommend a used solenoid either. I consider solenoids a wear item, they can only cycle X # of times. And the quality of Polaris's solenoids have alot to be desired, so that # is definetly low. A used one would make a good spare though. If (when) mine goes bad, I will upgrade it to an automotive (old style Ford) solenoid and should never have to replace it again.
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Big-R wrote:
Does it do anything when you first turn the key over?

Its hit or miss

1 of 3 things happen:

Starts
nothing
a click

Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm

I just went and looked at my solenoid. Unplug that control wire plug and test at that plug to see if you are getting the signal from the key switch to activate the solenoid. The power and the ground are in that plug.
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:57 pm

will do, leaving work now should have 12V right?

Last edited by Baditude on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:58 pm

jhoncho4x4 wrote:
Baditude wrote:

I wouldn't recommend a used solenoid either. I consider solenoids a wear item, they can only cycle X # of times. And the quality of Polaris's solenoids have alot to be desired, so that # is definetly low. A used one would make a good spare though. If (when) mine goes bad, I will upgrade it to an automotive (old style Ford) solenoid and should never have to replace it again.

dang I bought it lol oh well might be a cheap test
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Yes, 12 volts when you turn your key all the way over to the spring loaded crank position.
It was cheap enough, as long as it is any good.
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:04 pm

You might have trouble getting both leads into that small plug. You can take 1 lead to ground and the other into the plug. If I had to guess, the blue wire is +.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 6:51 pm

It could be just the ignition switch. They are junk too. I had one go bad in my 08 RZR.
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Update

I was unable to get my probe in the connector, however after reconnecting the plug:

I mostly get just a "click" maybe 7 out of 10 times
the rest she starts right up.
No longer have the turn the key and nothing happens.

Solenoid?

what a pita to get to
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Baditude wrote:
Update

what a pita to get to
Yes it is. Without a voltage test, can't say with any certainty. If it was me, I would either peel back a little insulation after the plug to test or just cut the wires to test. A lot of test lights and meters have sharp points for the purpose of poking through the insulation to test.
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Does sound like solenoid though.
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks for the help, according to ebay the $20 solenoid should be here by this weekend. Hope it does the trick, replacing the starter would suck allright
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:05 pm

Ya, got to remove the air box and go in through the top. Starter should not be old enough to need brushes yet unless you have really racked up the hours or are running it everyday. And when thoses magnets let go, it ceases to function at all. If it happens on the trail, remove clutch cover, wrap strap around clutch primary, hook it to your buddies sxs, turn key on and tell him to haul ass!! Put clutch cover back on (carefully) and dont shut it off the rest of the day.
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:14 pm

This is why I wish I had a warranty, bought it used with 300 miles 1 month out of warranty lol
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:22 pm

I had multiple warranty claims on mine in the beginning. Caused me to buy the 5 year extended. Of course I have not had a claim since. This past Trails End ride was the first time I have taken it on a riding trip and did not have to take it to the dealer on Monday with a warranty claim. Hopefully all of the bugs are out of it now. Everytime I took it in, the parts that were replaced had new part #'s were Polaris had figured out the part was junk. Mine has a very early build date, late 2010. My dealer felt bad and sold me my warranty at his cost.
Back to top Go down
girdlerrzr
SSXSRider Member
girdlerrzr

Number of posts : 824
Registration date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 pm

ive been having the same problem in my 11 xp
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:48 pm

I would say since you already have one on the way just slap a new solenoid in it and see if that does it.. Sounds like that's the problem anyway. If it still does it I would figure out a way to test the plug that it is getting a signal from the ignition. Don't know about polaris starters but most of the time when they go bad they are just bad. Solenoids though when they are going out act exactly like your talking about. I've had to tap on several with a wrench to get them to work with ones on their way out.. Starters will work fine and then just stop out of the blue..
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 2:03 pm

ended up being the Solenoid thankfully,
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Good to hear. Definetly the easiest and cheapest solution.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: XP sometimes won't start   XP sometimes won't start Empty

Back to top Go down

XP sometimes won't start
Page 1 of 1