SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

uhf radio final touches for this weekend

Go down 
+2
ridepate
wvregulators
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wvregulators
SSXSRider Member
wvregulators

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2012-10-27

uhf radio final touches for this weekend  Empty
PostSubject: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 7:55 pm

is anyone coming to the ride this weekend that has the tools and know how. to hook up the coaxial cable to the back of my radio, thats all i need to get it working
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Does it not have a screw-on end????
Back to top Go down
wvregulators
SSXSRider Member
wvregulators

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2012-10-27

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 10:54 pm

no you have to crimp it on!!
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:16 pm

Do you mean you have to crimp the connector on to the antenna cable that screws into the radio or do you mean you have to crimp the cable to the radio itself? I had to put my own end on my antenna cable but I'm pretty sure both of mine needed to be soldered on not crimped.. Post a picture of what you got and I can probably help you out.. Just need to know whats needed.. I have a few different types of crimpers and a soldering iron of course.
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:16 pm

I got lots of different styles of crimps if you have a plug that has never been crimped.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Is there not any SWR issues with the GRMS radios??? I was afraid to cut/shorten my cable. Guess I need to ask KY. Mine needs to be 10-ft shorter.....

Last edited by ridepate on Wed May 15, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:19 pm

Just bring what you got, I am sure the creative minds of this bunch can come up with something. I will already have a torch with me, will grab some solder.
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:20 pm

ridepate wrote:
Is there not any SWR issues with the GRMS radios??? I was afraid to cut/shorten my cable.

I asked the same question to ky medic when I bought my radio from him. He said he was not aware of any issues with shortening the cable.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:22 pm

No you can make the cable what ever length you want.. The antenna on the other had is what has to be sized to the freq range your using.

And yeah bring your radio.. Worse case I have an extra antenna with the end already on it ready to go. So if we can't rig yours up you have something to fall back on.. lol heck I have an extra radio also..
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:31 pm

I am actually at work right now sitting at my desk in the Electrical shop and pulled these coaxial crimps out of my desk drawer. I will bring them with me, if you have a new end, we can hook you right up!!
uhf radio final touches for this weekend  20130515_232506_zps4855e690
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

GCFD112

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2011-11-02

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:56 pm

I got my radio from kymedic and he said shortening the coax was not a problem. Mine is just about 5 feet long now and works just fine.
Back to top Go down
KyMedic
SSXSRider Member
KyMedic

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:34 am

correct. you can shorten the coax without a problem. as long as you get the end on good. i have soldered a few ends on but not something i enjoy. that's why i always pay the extra $10 to have the ends preinstalled.
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

GCFD112

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2011-11-02

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  EmptyThu May 16, 2013 7:40 pm

I bought a solderless end from radio shack and it seems to work fine. You just cut the coax off clean and slide it in the end and tighten a set screw
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: uhf radio final touches for this weekend    uhf radio final touches for this weekend  Empty

Back to top Go down

uhf radio final touches for this weekend
Page 1 of 1