SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

chopped or custom cage

Go down 
+4
8ball_99
samiam
AIRBORNE
girdlerrzr
8 posters
AuthorMessage
girdlerrzr
SSXSRider Member
girdlerrzr

Number of posts : 824
Registration date : 2011-10-26

chopped or custom cage Empty
PostSubject: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 10:28 pm

pros and cons!? For the people that have seen my max in person do you think the cage would be ok just to chop?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 4:33 am

I don't see why not.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
samiam
SSXSRider Member
samiam

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 7:45 am

The pros are that it can be done yourself and a little help depending on your skills and of course, low cost. The cons, which have been discussed on a previous thread ( don't remember the title ) are pretty serious if you think about it. You are altering a safety device that has been designed to perform at a certain level to protect you. If something happens and someone is injured that could have been prevented if this mod had not been made, it would be hard to live with yourself. Also it needs to be addressed that if you ever sell or trade this buggy and someone is injured or worse, the court system could get involved. That being said, I chopped mine about 5 in. and it looks better. Not sure I've seen a yellow bus chopped.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 8:37 am

I also want to say there was a thread on here some where about cages with a lot of pictures of bent stock cages. I can't think of it either.
Sure you can chop it if you want. Lots of guys on here do it. I don't know about canams, But IMHO I wouldn't chop a stock RZR cage with out atleast adding some bracing. I braced my 800s cage with out chopping it. In a bad roll these cages will give a lot. If your cage is only 2" from your head then guess what happens when it gives... That's why I never lowered my 800s. I knew the tubing was thin and I didn't want it to crush my wife or kid in a roll. On my 4 seater I had to lower the cage cause it would not fit in my trailer. I was going to just chop it and add braces, But I went a head and just built a whole new cage out of American made .095 DOM tubing. With a 4 seater and knowing I could have 3 passengers not just 1 I wanted the extra safety. You have to look at it this way pretty much the only reason to chop over replace is money or time. If one of my kids got hurt because I was more worried about either of those I'd feel like chit. So I'd say if your going to chop it just make sure its much stronger then stock when its done. Cause once its that close to your head it can't afford to give like the tall stock cages can..
Back to top Go down
Raccer
SSXSRider Member
Raccer

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2013-08-24

PostSubject: Re: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Custom.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 pm

I know my CMF custom cage is MUCH stronger then the stocker. And it looks MUCH cooler too!!!!  thatsright 
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Back to top Go down
girdlerrzr
SSXSRider Member
girdlerrzr

Number of posts : 824
Registration date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 pm

8-ball you make a really great point about the cages and your right! Ronnie is marty paying you some commission lol,,,thanks guys
Back to top Go down
chadboehne
SSXSRider Member
chadboehne

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2014-02-08

PostSubject: Re: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Custom. I would rather spend 2 grand on a quality custom cage than watch my boys grow up from heaven.

Here's a video of the guy that built my cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaDqr9PiTYY
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: chopped or custom cage   chopped or custom cage Empty

Back to top Go down

chopped or custom cage
Page 1 of 1