SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone work weekends only????

Go down 
+5
DOG
RangeRover
edge22
njcraddock
bacon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2011-09-06

Anyone work weekends only???? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 5:32 am

Looking at possibly taking a job on a weekend only shift. Has a lot of ups like work 36hrs a week and get paid for 40hrs, possible some overtime pay to or a good pay increase to make up for going to the shift, 4 days off every week, get some good experience to use in the future. Now for the downs- Working on the weekend, missing rides and other events. Curious if anyone else worked this schedule and could tell me what they thought of it or if anyone else has any advice on it. Gotta make my mind up pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 6:40 am

My brother has a weekend shift job. He's done it for years and seems to be really happy with it. His main hobby is deer hunting so it doesn't interfere at all. I moonlight on weekends in addition to working during the normal work week. I'll usually schedule myself for 2 or 3 days a month. The additional money is good and allows me to have some expensive toys that I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. BUT I also have flexibility so I can schedule around things I want to do on certain weekends. If I couldn't then it would get get really old really quickly and I probably wouldn't do it anymore. Kids also change things, so if that is something that is in your foreseeable future I would also take that into account.
Back to top Go down
edge22

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:24 am

Man thats a tough one with our hobby the way it is. You can still ride but not the normal gathering with most of your friends like we do. Good luck with your choice.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:39 am

Hay man your still young, if it would better yourself in your field of work I would jump on the chance. A couple years goes by real quick these days. Plus you get 4 days off not 2 for same amount of pay.
Sometimes you have to give a little up front to have a bigger pay off in the end!!!!!
Back to top Go down
DOG
SSXSRider Member
DOG

Number of posts : 1305
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 2:31 pm

I agree with RangeRover it would suck in some ways but if it pays off later then it is worth it.
Back to top Go down
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Only reason I have even considered it is some of the people I ride with also have days off during the week. My wife doesn't like the idea but she also doesn't like me working night shift rite now. They are talking about giving the few that try it a 6 month trial and if you don't like it you get to go back to your old job. Only other thing keeping me from just doing it is leaving my partner at work in a bad position since we are already short handed. I just don't know what to do lol
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 8:39 pm

I usually worked 7 days a week on roadway projects most of my life. We would take off and go camping during the week when kids were out of school. Beat the crowds. More than doubled my income most years too. If I was not working for the government, then I always did something else, like plumbing on the side, or you could have called me a AFAB (anything for a buck).
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm just the opposite.After working every Saturday and some Sundays for almost 15 years and after getting laid-off in 2011 after 10 of those working-weekend years. I'll never work another weekend as long as I live! That's why I went back to school. I'm now M-F 7 to 3:30 and loving it!
Back to top Go down
seweljj
SSXSRider Member
seweljj

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 11:38 am

I would rather work a weekend shift than be stuck on nights. To me it would be a no brainer over working a night shift. It would suck missing planned rides, but you say you would have someone to ride with during the week.
Back to top Go down
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Well things moved a lot quicker than expected, company president asked me yesterday if I still had interest in the weekend crew yesterday and I said yes. I start bright and early Friday morning lol. Temporary trial to see if they think we have the sales to justify the shift so not sure how long ill be on it. Really did enjoy my day off and got a lot accomplished today.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 9:43 am

Good luck Buddy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone work weekends only????   Anyone work weekends only???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone work weekends only????
Page 1 of 1