SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UHMW Skids

Go down 
+3
hillbuggy
Cuz
crs
7 posters
AuthorMessage
crs
SSXSRider Member
crs

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2013-08-08

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptySat May 30, 2015 8:24 am

Looking at either the 3/8 or 1/2 inch skid plates for the Mav. Max. Last 2 outings have really played hell on the stock ones. I guess i'll use the stock ones as a sled for the grandson this winter. I was just wondering what ya'll take was on these and personal preferences. Just looking for input and maybe even a good supplier of these. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cuz
SSXSRider Member
Cuz

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-06-04

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptySat May 30, 2015 1:28 pm

I put the 3/8 on my 800 when I had it. Liked it so much that was the first thing I put on when I bought my 900 and 1000
Back to top Go down
hillbuggy
SSXSRider Member
hillbuggy

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2013-08-20

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptySat May 30, 2015 4:48 pm

A good question. I am looking for a 1/2 inch UHMW skid plate for my RZR 1000. The problem is that many of the skid plate manufacturers require you to drill too many holes in your machine's frame. I am worried that this will weaken the frame and I already know from experience that it causes the frame to rust. I want a 1/2 inch UHMW plate that uses mostly factory mounting holes.

I used a Trail Armor skid plate on my previous machine and the frame rusted around the holes. Some of the rust places were severe after only about two years.

Let me know if anybody has suggestions of what skid plate to buy...
Back to top Go down
pushrod 1
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2011-12-19

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:31 pm

I been looking at uhmw sss offroad.com skid plates.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 3:37 pm

I've used Tusk 3/8" skid plates on my last two buggies and have not had any problems. Personally I feel that 1/2" are overkill. But they've both been on XP 900s, I wouldn't have a clue about the Mav. Have you checked to see what they're saying on the Mav forum?
Back to top Go down
pushrod 1
SSXSRider Member

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 3:46 pm

I think 1/2 is over kill and heavy, iam going with 3/8
Back to top Go down
hillbuggy
SSXSRider Member
hillbuggy

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2013-08-20

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-04-25

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 8:05 am

3/8 UHMW is all that is needed..>TUSK brand works well and is 1/2 the price of most. Try rockmountainatv.com
Back to top Go down
crs
SSXSRider Member
crs

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 10:06 am

Thanks for the input's. I'm going to try to respond to each in a separate paragraph.

RZR4; The 3/8 didn't seem to be that much thicker than the stock Can Am plates. That's why i was thinking about going the 1/2 inch route. Seems the general consensus is that 3/8 is the ticket. I haven't read any bad reviews. Thanks.

Joe; Haven't looked at Tusk. Good idea and that's why i'm asking. Open for options. Thanks.

Pushrod1; I have checked into SSS Offroad unit. They seem to make a good product and i was leaning that way. Overkill is what i'm into. I like to do things once and be done. Murphy and I seem to be buddies.

Hillbuggy; SSS Offroad is the company i was thinking about when we talked last. Not sure of the mounting on a Polaris. They seem to use all the factory mounting spots on the Can Am. Only holes you drill are the factory rivets for stock outer plates under floorboard. Mine are done already due to accessory mounting.

Nathan; Ya, i have looked around on Mav. site's. Just looking for more input. Reading some of these forums will have your head spinning by the time your done looking for info. Factory Can Am plates are good. Didn't have issues with the Commander at all. These stock plate are good also. Problem is Murphy caught up with me . Between extra length and trails being deeply rutted, i have caught something at a seam. I have the skid pan / earth mover effect happening now. Not bad, but it needs to be addressed. I can't really go much higher, (ground clearance), without cutting rear section of cage. Toyhauler height. I know this new skid is going to see abuse. Just want one with no seams or tight seams so this won't happen again.

Thank's for ya'll input. That's why i asked, case there is something i might not be thinking about, that ya;ll might know from past experience. Been pretty lucky with all my other machines in the past. Never have replace any skid plates, so this is a first.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 pm

Cory, I don't know about the Mav but even the two seat RZR Tusk skid was a two piece unit. The four seater is in three pieces. They fit pretty tight and the edges are rabbeted and overlapped but it's still three pieces. I think the sheets of UHMW are only available in 4' widths and that necessitates the multiple pieces. It used all the stock mounting holes plus I had to drill a few dozen (it seemed) holes for additional screws especially along the rockers where it boatsides a little.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 12:44 am

http://ricochet-off-road.myshopify.com/

15% OFF FOR MEMBERS!

We are giving a 15% Member Discount on Ricochet Skid Plates and Ricochet Bumpers for your machine(s)!

All you need to do is enter the following discount code at the checkout page on our website!

Attention rzrforums-2015   Attention   this is the discount code

Follow these steps armor up now:

1. CLICK HERE to go to our site & select your model.

2. Click on the picture of the set/part you want.

3. Choose your options and add what you want to the cart.

4. Once you are ready to buy, you can click CHECK OUT or the little shopping cart icon on the top right of the page if you are not already there. Choose your country and state from the drop down menus and put in your zip code too. Click Calculate next to where you put in your zip code and you will see your shipping price to the right. There are additional shipping options below in which you change by just calling in your order.

5. Click CHECK OUT to the right if you want to just use your credit or debit card. Click the Check Out With PayPal if you want to use your PayPal.

6. Fill out all int required information and click where it says "Have a discount code? Click here to enter it" on the right in blue and enter the discount code above.

7. Finish up the order. That's it.

Call us at 1-866-273-1197 if you have any questions after you order. This includes tracking info.

Note: This deal does not include the "Free Ricochet Gift Pack." Also, anodizing adds to the shipping time. Most orders are shipped within a few days. However, it can be around 10 days before shipping if we are swamped.

As always, thanks for stopping by!

Best Regards,

RicochetJamey

Jamey Garrant
1-866-273-1197
Marketing & Sales Dir.
Ricochet Offroad
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
crs
SSXSRider Member
crs

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 10:49 am

njcraddock wrote:
Cory, I don't know about the Mav but even the two seat RZR Tusk skid was a two piece unit. The four seater is in three pieces. They fit pretty tight and the edges are rabbeted and overlapped but it's still three pieces. I think the sheets of UHMW are only available in 4' widths and that necessitates the multiple pieces. It used all the stock mounting holes plus I had to drill a few dozen (it seemed) holes for additional screws especially along the rockers where it boatsides a little.

I pretty much knew i couldn't get a one piece, but it sure would be nice. Shipping would be thru the roof. I was looking for quality with good tight seams. Everybody advertises they have the greatest thing out there. My history with aftermarket stuff has been hit or miss, with more miss. Screwed

I called CT WORX and talk to Adam. Apparently they / he are heavily involved with racing and have a reputation for making quality aftermarket components for the off road market. He reaffirmed what Joe said about the weight of the 1/2 " skid. So long story short, i pulled the trigger on the 3/8" skids. allright

I try not to over think or research things, but like i said before, my past with aftermarket has not been the greatest. Thanks again for everyones input.
Back to top Go down
pushrod 1
SSXSRider Member

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 9:49 pm

ordered 3/8 tusk fri., lot better price, 362.00 free shipping
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UHMW Skids Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Skids   UHMW Skids Empty