SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SXS Gear Lift Review

Go down 
+3
blu-knight
GunRunner
RZR_Joe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-04-25

SXS Gear Lift Review Empty
PostSubject: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 9:32 am

Before our annual big July ride I switched to 32" Roctanes and added a SXS Gear lift.

SXS Gear review: We rode for about ten days and countless miles on every type of terrain.

First impressions: Fit, finish, & quality are top notch. Everything is very well made and seems very beefy. Kit comes with billet housings, HD mounting brackets, brake rotor/hubs, & all required pieces parts.

Installation: Installation was fairly straight forward and easy but the instructions are not the best. The driver side brake gets swapped to the passenger side and a new longer line installed on the passenger side. The front calipers get swapped because they get relocated to the back side of the hub. If they are not swapped it puts the bleeder on the bottom of the caliper and bleeding the brakes would be impossible. The instruction left out these details put it was not hard to figure out. The rear axle needs to have ~1/2 cut off the threads in order for the cover to be installed. This was a little disconcerting to me because it's means a stock length axle can not be easy swapped in if one breaks on the trail. I run Rhino axle but I cut a stocker down to carry as a spare.

Driving impressions: I noticed right off the belt engagement seemed much sooner (perceived because of lower ratio). Even in high it has no problem roasting the 32s. I had to get use to being much easier on the throttle to avoid tire spin. It was very apparent on gravel roads, running 30-40mph it would spin the tires with a slight blip of the throttle. Out on the trail I can run in high where I only would use low before. In low with good throttle control the thing will creep along and maintain momentum over the biggest rockiest terrain. On down hill descents the compression braking is absolutely incredible. I can crawl down the steepest hills as slow as I want to go and never use the brakes.

At higher speeds you can hear the gears roaring some. At first it was a concern but after many many miles and talking with Chris (the owner) this is normal as the gears are not helical cut. I checked the gear oil and no metal flakes so we'll wait and see.

The added ground clearance makes things much easier. The best part is the ground clearance is not just under the center but the a-arms are also raised ~5" giving the clearance where needed. I took out ~2" of preload from the springs to get the ride height at an acceptable level. This softened the suspension a bit so I added a few clicks to the shocks to stiffen it out. It rides vey well over the harshest terrain.

Width: It's WIDE, but nothing I' not already use to lol! If you are not use to a wide machine then there will be a steep learning curve. IMO the wider the better.

Overall impressions: Very positive and the ability to crawl boulders and steep stuff is amazing. Much easier on the machine (belts, transmission, axles, etc..) I ran in 2wd where most everyone else had to use 4wd. It made semi-tough crawling look stupid easy. Is it worth the worth the money (~$3k)? To me yes but that's up to the buyer I suppose.

So if you are looking at these I can honestly say that I would highly recommend SXS Gear.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 12:53 pm

nopics well maybe not completely worthless but pics would be great
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 1:23 pm

SXS Gear Lift Review IMG_20150620_131041_237_zpsg2tfmbdl

SXS Gear Lift Review 8b8d333b-692a-4798-8b31-1ec98a3b1ae4_zpsbwdj233j

SXS Gear Lift Review IMG_20150621_160234_899_zpsu3teghbo

SXS Gear Lift Review 016_zps0szmldfi
Back to top Go down
blu-knight
SSXSRider Member
blu-knight

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Oh he forgot to mention that it is hard on tie rod end bolts.... LOL Poke Poke
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 5:16 pm

blu-knight wrote:
Oh he forgot to mention that it is hard on tie rod end bolts.... LOL   Poke Poke

That was my dumbass fault thatsright
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 5:35 pm

cool looking setup for sure and looks expensive too
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 10:40 pm

Ok, now that you got her machine ready, when you building your own????????? thatsright roflmao
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 6:54 am

Wow! Portal axles for IFS, who da thunk it? So how much gear reduction is there? Any plans for Chris to manufacture with helical gears in the future? Are there any other cons besides those you mentioned? Added stress to any component, like ball joints?
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 7:34 am

Gimpy wrote:
Ok, now that you got her machine ready, when you building your own?????????  thatsright roflmao

And I can't even get here to drive the dang thing lol!
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 7:40 am

njcraddock wrote:
Wow! Portal axles for IFS, who da thunk it? So how much gear reduction is there?  Any plans for Chris to manufacture with helical gears in the future? Are there any other cons besides those you mentioned? Added stress to any component, like ball joints?

It reduces the ratio by about 30%. This style gear box has been used in AG & military applications for years. It reduces the stress on the drivetrain )axles, diff, tranny, clutch) considerably by putting the reduction at the wheel. I can't say yet if it adds stress to the ball joints but I would think it adds some based on the leverage angles and the fact that that are fairly heavy.

Overall though it seems badass and I'm happy so far.....
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 10:11 am

And the cost for this set up is.......
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 6:24 pm

GunRunner wrote:
And the cost for this set up is.......

RZR_Joe wrote:
Is it worth the worth the money (~$3k)? To me yes but that's up to the buyer I suppose.

Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 3:42 pm

Any up dates Joe? Is it holding up?
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 9:21 am

Big-R wrote:
Any up dates Joe?  Is it holding up?

Rode with him plenty and still holding up. He just can't make it under a lot of the trees like I can. roflmao thatsright
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 2:16 pm

I recently looked at them seriously for the 800s. Seem pretty solid if you get the ones Joe has. I was told you get 4" lift and 3" wider. In addition a repair guy told me that I would break anymore axles because the angle of the axle will be the same as factory. Joe said Bullshit because you still break axles.
Joe seems to be very happy with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SXS Gear Lift Review   SXS Gear Lift Review Empty

Back to top Go down

SXS Gear Lift Review
Page 1 of 1