SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Took a ride today

Go down 
+2
njcraddock
Goose
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Took a ride today Empty
PostSubject: Took a ride today   Took a ride today EmptyFri Nov 20, 2015 9:56 pm

The chairman of the board and I went to our local Yamaha and Can Am dealer today. I drove the YXZ. Very nice.
Pros
Everything looks very accessible mechanically
Comes stock with very nice doors and roof
A lot of leg room in both seats
Very comfortable seats that hold you in
Fast
Reaction to peddle is smooth
Power steering is great
Smoothed out the bumps nicely. Although there weren't a lot of them

The Clutch----------
Let me start by saying I am very familiar with driving a clutch. The clutch engaged very quickly I maybe moved it an inch and the RPMs started to dive. It didn't stall because I really got into the gas. Not a bad thing just something you chalk up to learning curve. I headed toward a rather steep pile of gravel that was about three feet high. When I went up the first time I hit it at about three mph. There was a little bogging down down but we went right over it. Next time I stopped at the bottom of the pile and tried to crawl it slow. It stalled. I started up again and got into the gas by the time I got to the top and there was a real good clutch chatter going on. I repeated the climb and got it up to about 3000 rpms and maintained it while letting the clutch out and got to the top with no trouble. Bottom line is I think that if you were doing some serious crawling your right foot and the clutch would have a workout. It seems that lower than 3-5 mph and it wants to stall. I could see where it might blow on the trail especially if you were a clutch novice. I told the sales manager about my experience and he told me about the recluse clutch you could add and eliminate those problems. So if you want to crawl slow you spend another 800-1200 bucks. Not a deal breaker but I really don't want to lay out that kind of money and then have to put more into it right away. I guess it isn't much different than adding mods right away.

Cons-----

It is very loud. The engine and the trans
The chairman said she didn't like it because it sounded clunky
The worst thing of all is that it is 122.8 inches long and my haulers garage is 120 inches

I like it. I would probably get one and put a new clutch in it ( if it didn't void warranty) if it fit the hauler.

So we drove a base model Maverick hide I liked it. No purchase yet. affraid
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Took a ride today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Took a ride today   Took a ride today EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 7:01 am

Are you dead set on something other than a Polaris Goose? I really like the XP1K and it would still fit in your trailer. It would be worth at least test driving one if you haven't already.
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Took a ride today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Took a ride today   Took a ride today EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 7:14 am

I am open to all. I really like the Looks of the general also. The XP1K is a possibility too. I thought everyone would like another impression of the YXZ. As you can tell I'm on the fence.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Took a ride today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Took a ride today   Took a ride today EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 pm

The XP1K might not fit in your garage if you add bumpers. The Maverick was another choice I considered too, for the 10 foot garage. I was going to go ahead and get the turbo Maverick for the resale value. Man they jumped in price over the new year models. XP1K's were down in the 15,000 range this year for the 2015 left overs. If you hold out long enough for the 2017's to come out, then the 2016's will drop too.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

Took a ride today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Took a ride today   Took a ride today EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks for the review Goose,
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

Took a ride today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Took a ride today   Took a ride today EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 2:18 am

That's pretty much what I was worried about. Thanks for the real world review
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Took a ride today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Took a ride today   Took a ride today EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 7:49 pm

The General Goose!
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Took a ride today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Took a ride today   Took a ride today EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 9:32 pm

That is one of the ones I'm really looking at Jimbo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Took a ride today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Took a ride today   Took a ride today Empty

Back to top Go down

Took a ride today
Page 1 of 1