SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Engine Work - JX

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Reeko
SSXSRider Member
Reeko

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2012-05-30

Engine Work - JX Empty
PostSubject: Engine Work - JX   Engine Work - JX EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 7:53 am

Finally got around to taking my JX in for diagnostics as it started burning oil at a fierce rate. Turns out I need a top end and a new head/valves. I-75 quoted me $3000 for the rebuild with parts and labor. Looking for opinions on a good shop as LMS did the top end 326 miles ago and it appears they didn't do a very good job the first time around. Engine has a grand total total of 626 miles on it. I have only put 125 miles on it since I bought so you can imagine I am not so happy.

The only saving grace is I have been slammed at work since July so I haven't been riding much since then.

So give me some opinions on good shops around Central KY as I want to get some woods time in with this buggy in the spring.
Back to top Go down
Cuz
SSXSRider Member
Cuz

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Engine Work - JX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Work - JX   Engine Work - JX EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 10:51 am

Talk to Big Al Cashin
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Engine Work - JX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Work - JX   Engine Work - JX EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Cuz wrote:
Talk to Big Al Cashin

Yep, he might do it and he is damn good!
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Engine Work - JX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Work - JX   Engine Work - JX EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 11:15 pm

I've yet to see any success with a rebuild.  Talk to Swingarm or Alba on Rzrforums and both only offer an extremely limited warranty.  I remember 30 days or just "workmanship".  I mention this since between those 2 that have built many 100's of engines.

I recommend picking up a new factory engine for $3800.  Sell your old one as is for $1000 or more on rzrforum or ebay (I would list for $1600).  It's worth that much since the good parts (or entire engine) are used in rebuilds or making a stage 3 or more engine.  Rzr Engines are not very big so shipping them is easy.

http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oemparts/a/pol/52b77c08f87002112c8923a8/engine-transmission-mounting#

Installing a new factory engine will give you a fresh start and should allow you to have several thousand miles with minimal issues.
Back to top Go down
Reeko
SSXSRider Member
Reeko

Engine Work - JX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Work - JX   Engine Work - JX EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Guess I should have called around more. Cheapest I could find a new motor was $4700.

Now the crazy thing... Ordered parts for the rebuild with the intention for I-75 to rebuild it as I know one of the mechanics. Turns out LMS just purchased them. I have had terrible luck with LMS over the years so I am going to pick up my parts when they come in and find another option for the rebuild. Most of I-75 staff is now gone including my buddy.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Engine Work - JX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Work - JX   Engine Work - JX EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 4:18 pm

Contact Swingarm on Rzrforums and see how much he will build the engine with your parts for. Or even better see how much he will buy the engine and parts for. You can then buy a new engine.
Back to top Go down
Reeko
SSXSRider Member
Reeko

Engine Work - JX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Work - JX   Engine Work - JX EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 7:48 pm

So it turns out that I-75, after being bought out by that crappy company in Lexington (whom I have never had a good experience with) has ordered a new head but now claims they didn't know it didn't come with valves, will need valves purchased (and then machined/lapped). I am really starting to hate this JX. I have put on just over 100 miles since I bought this POS and I have almost as much in it than I do my Hybrid Camry. At least the Camry runs.....

By the way, unless you have had a good experience with LMS, stay away from I-75 Yamaha.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Engine Work - JX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Work - JX   Engine Work - JX EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 8:16 pm

I don't understand how they would not know they bought just parts...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine Work - JX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Work - JX   Engine Work - JX Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine Work - JX
Page 1 of 1