SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PLOW PROBLEM

Go down 
+4
Foxfire
ChrisC
wvyankee2
rat123
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rat123

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 11:42 pm

I have a new eagle plow but for some reason when pulling it up it won't stay it just goes back down. I had just installed a new 4000 lb viper winch so the first thing I did was put back on the original 2500 winch. I was thinking the brake on winch wasn't working. But after I put original winch back on it did the same thing. So to me it isn't a winch problem. I have a 2008 motobishi chase 700 UTV. The eagle plow is 72 inches. I'm wondering if the plow is to big for the winches or is there something else it could be causing the problem blade that doesn't want to stay up. Please I need help
thanks
Ron
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 12:49 am

I wouldn't think the winch should let the plow back down. Sorry but I cant think of anything to help. Is the winch cable pulling back out?
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 1:51 am

I really dont have the answer. I understand a warn
XT models have a disk brake on them. i dont know about other winches.

Sorry ....., Chris.... No

Last edited by ChrisC on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 8:37 am

The only thing that holds the plow in the upright position is the winch....got to br the winch.
Back to top Go down
rat123

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 9:46 am

What I can't understand the 4000lb winch and the 2500lb winch are doing the same. I don't know to much about winches but why are both doing the same. Could it be the switch? or the contact switch , or the plow? These are the only things that are the same on both winches. We know the winches are different sizes.
thanks
Ron
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 am

You have to have a brake on the winch, otherwise their would be no need for the power out function. The only thing I can think of is maybe your winch cable is loose on the spool. Pull it all the way out and winch your Rhino back to it to tighten it up fully. Use a tree or telephone poll or whatever. If it's loose on the spool the weight of the plow might not be enough to tighten up while raising, but has enough weight to unravel the loosness after it's raised. Thats the only thing I can think of. If it was just one winch I would say you had a brake problem, but two would be too much of a coincidence.
Back to top Go down
jimrs

jimrs

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 am

I don't have a plow but the first thing I asked myself is the winch cable tight on the drum? If it's not then it will slip back down. Try putting pressure on the winch cable and rolling it back up so it's tight on the drum. You need to make sure it's rolled out all the way and then use it to pull the "whatever your ride is" up to the hook. This should eliminate the slippage.
Back to top Go down
rat123

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi
I already tried this. When I put back on the 2500lb winch cable was a mess so I pulled out cable and got the cable tight against drum. I already had the cable tight on the drum already. I had to used the 4000 lb winch last week to get the utv on the trailer with a broken clutch
thanks
Ron
jimrs wrote:
I don't have a plow but the first thing I asked myself is the winch cable tight on the drum? If it's not then it will slip back down. Try putting pressure on the winch cable and rolling it back up so it's tight on the drum. You need to make sure it's rolled out all the way and then use it to pull the "whatever your ride is" up to the hook. This should eliminate the slippage.
Back to top Go down
Gary

Gary

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 1:55 pm

just wondering about your front shocks ,or do you have a tenison spring hooked in line with your plow an it is streching on you while it is in the up postion.find very hard to belive that two winches doing same thingit has got to be plow or your hookups under neath your machine
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Is there a free wheel lever, like on Truck winches? Just a thought
Back to top Go down
rat123

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 9:04 am

Hi
I got the 2500lb winch to work by moving the hookup closer to the utv. My Dealer told me that the 2500lb winch didn't have a clutch. So it works. I talked to A guy from Viper and he said it was a contact switch problem. Then I told him I was using the switch from the 2500lb. So On the weekend going to install the switch that came with the mx 4000lb viper and this winch has a dynamic and mechanical brake. I don't understand how the contact switch would cause me this problem. If someone knows please can you explain why the switch would cause this problem
thanks
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 1:55 pm

rat123 wrote:
Hi
I got the 2500lb winch to work by moving the hookup closer to the utv. My Dealer told me that the 2500lb winch didn't have a clutch. So it works. I talked to A guy from Viper and he said it was a contact switch problem. Then I told him I was using the switch from the 2500lb. So On the weekend going to install the switch that came with the mx 4000lb viper and this winch has a dynamic and mechanical brake. I don't understand how the contact switch would cause me this problem. If someone knows please can you explain why the switch would cause this problem
thanks

I can't see it being the contactor. It either is on or off, no in-between. NO current flows to the winch unless its being told to do it via switch, ect. It would overheat and self destruct, probably. Usually they just die.
Back to top Go down
Mudxtc

Mudxtc

Number of posts : 106

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 4:22 pm

OK, I just took a look at my Warn 4000, Looks like you are going to have this problem regardless. I cranked mine down tight (my spool is extremely tight also) to my trailer with the winch and after just a few minutes it loosened up also (I watched the spool rotate out). I asked a buddy about it and he informed me that ATV winches do not have a brake on them to stop this. (he also warned me to make sure and NEVER secure my Rhino to the trailer with just the winch) He told me that all of them will lose thier hold if they dont have power to them. He also mentioned that this is why most "northern" folks have a lever style system on thier ATV's and this is also why trucks use hydraulics instead of winches for snow plows!

Hope this makes sense...........
Back to top Go down
rat123

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi
I just installed my contactor switch and all is working like normal. So it looks like it was the contactor switch
thanks for all the help
Ron
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PLOW PROBLEM Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLOW PROBLEM   PLOW PROBLEM Empty

Back to top Go down

PLOW PROBLEM
Page 1 of 1