SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either

Go down 
+6
Big-R
rubicon05
ChrisC
Neuromax
GunRunner
Bobby D
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bobby D

Bobby D

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either Empty
PostSubject: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 2:02 pm

I have an 09 with 20 hours on it, 10 with the stock intake setup and 10 with the DFR snorkel kit.

Mine is already screwed. I have to clean my TB every 5 hours and refill the oil as it burns about 2 qaurts per 5 hours of riding. I plan to pull it down this weekend and see what is going on.

My verdict is 09's have just as many dust problems. The verdict is still out on the DFR airbox, I plan to keep using it once I freshin the motor so I will see how it does (everyone else seems to have great luck with it). I am hoping my problems occured within the first 10 hours of riding with the stock air box setup.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 2:11 pm

His problem could lie in his build date, 09 models built before sept,02 08 did not have all the updates. Then he could have made things worse with the DFR, since i have found out WHAT THE REAL ISSUE IS! It is the dirt going in the airbox , I cant say how good dfr's filter is, id bet the new one from polaris is much better as to filtration. The old filter was just not good enough to stop the huge amount of dust getting to it. The key to all this is to make the air intake take its air from a cleaner source and not from the dust stirred up under the bed. For any of you that are interested read this up to page 4, a few tips are after that but the key to the fix is here.

Ok, I have searched for the answer and here it is. First this stuff is not rocket science, if you push dirty air into the airbox unless you have a super filter it will enter the motor. The "new" filter is better than ever before but the key is to feed it fresh air, not a dust cloud. Here is a topic from the PRC forum I found after days of searching the subject. If you do this and run the new intake boot, 3 clamp lid, new filter. I would bet you will have no dirt get in the motor.

Bobby i strongly suggest you do these mods to yours before you ride it. I am.

http://www.prcforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2896&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Bobby D

Bobby D

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 2:46 pm

I got a free new air filter from Polaris that the 09's are using and it's not as good as the Donaldson that comes with the DFR airbox IMO.The Irishman has had a filter between his seats for a long time now and his is using oil again.I have read the post on this issue on PRC since I have been a member there for over 2 years now from when I had a full size Ranger so I researched a while myself before I bought a RZR and knew about the problem before I bought mine and that's why I bought the ext warranty.

Last edited by Bobby D on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 3:07 pm

Bobby, is yours an 09? I didn't realize you got a new one. I thought you had an '08 you got in FL. This really sucks for you, I hope they get it fixed to your satisfaction.
Back to top Go down
Bobby D

Bobby D

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Neuromax wrote:
Bobby, is yours an 09? I didn't realize you got a new one. I thought you had an '08 you got in FL. This really sucks for you, I hope they get it fixed to your satisfaction.

It's a 2008 the 09's have only been out for a few months I think.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 3:25 pm

You read it, but did you do what they did and seal the intakes in the air intake and check for leaks in the rest of the system? I would say the dfr filter is not that good if it let dirt in. At 500.00 bucks it should not be a spec of dirt get thru even if you filled the airbox up with dirt lol! Its simple to me, if you have a good filter, and you have made the air intake going to it, leak free and have it getting 100% of its air from inside the cab as it should, it will not have dirt in the motor. Your issue you keep going back to is the use of oil, I would have looked at that intake myself before taking it to the dealer, and if that big buck air cleaner had let it get into my motor after the dealer talked me into buying it he would be forking over my money back. Oil use could be from many things, poor workmanship on the last repair, not being broken in right, it could be loosing it thru the crankcase vent too. If its using oil it should be putting out blue smoke and the plugs will have crust or sludge on them. The 800 only holds a little less than 2 qts, if its over filled it will spit it out. IMO if you dont break it in like the method I posted, use the correct weight oil, 0-50 and seal the intake leaks you might as well sell it cause you will be at this point again.
Back to top Go down
Bobby D

Bobby D

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 4:59 pm

Who knows what my problem is when the mechanic says he does not know unless he is covering his ass from a shitty job on the 1st rebuild Laughing The bottom line is know one should buy a machine for what they cost and have this issue IMO Eat
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 5:19 pm

In a perfect world youre a 100% right, but S#it happens and stuff gets improved as new models come out. Its the same with any of the brands of sxs's not a single one came out perfect and had no issues. But you can help yours stay fixed imo it just will take a little effort to do a few things.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Bobby D wrote:
Who knows what my problem is when the mechanic says he does not know unless he is covering his ass from a shitty job on the 1st rebuild Laughing The bottom line is know one should buy a machine for what they cost and have this issue IMO Eat

Bobby , when that thing is fixed , get rid of that crap. Rolling Eyes
since you dont like a Rhino at least get you a 09 Tyrex and be
done with this mess. I ant hateing on the RZR , it just ant worth all this
crap. get something that is going to stay together. obviously this is not
working for you..... Wink I am being serious.

Chris.... Eat
Back to top Go down
Bobby D

Bobby D

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:03 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Bobby D wrote:

Bobby , when that thing is fixed , get rid of that crap. Rolling Eyes
since you dont like a Rhino at least get you a 09 Tyrex and be
done with this mess. I ant hateing on the RZR , it just ant worth all this
crap. get something that is going to stay together. obviously this is not
working for you..... Wink I am being serious.

Chris.... Eat

I like the Rhino I just like giving you a hard time lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:10 pm

Wow, less than 2 quarts???? Guess it wouldnt take long, if your burning it, to use that up.
Bobby,
You know what I'd do if it was ME. (I'll delete this post) Drain the oil and save it, get out on the road and run it until it blows, and I mean blow it..........put the rods thru the cases,put the used oil back in it, or however much will stay in it, and say it blew............then a new motor will be yours. Right??Wrong??? You be the judge..
Back to top Go down
rubicon05

rubicon05

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:20 pm

pate,
not a bad idea..

is that your rhino in your Avatar? did you put long travel on it?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Rubi,

No that's my dream machine.......a roller that's for sale out in AZ with no motor. It could probably be bought right. He wants 8 k for it, it has the best of eveything without the motor.......and my guess could be bought for 6.......but right now I'm just dreaming.................
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:37 pm

ridepate wrote:
Wow, less than 2 quarts???? Guess it wouldnt take long, if your burning it, to use that up.
Bobby,
You know what I'd do if it was ME. (I'll delete this post) Drain the oil and save it, get out on the road and run it until it blows, and I mean blow it..........put the rods thru the cases,put the used oil back in it, or however much will stay in it, and say it blew............then a new motor will be yours. Right??Wrong??? You be the judge..

I would disagree with pate if...... Ether po po or your stealer didn't do anything wrong. And I don't think that's the case.... 2cents
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Ronnie,
I would not recommend it either if the dealer was willing to do the right thing, but in Bobbys case, make'em pay..............It just ain't right. I've been around this stuff all my life, the bottom-end has been exposed to the grit as much as the top, even if they put a new head and cylinder on it, sooner or later the bottom rod bearing will go, it has had the dirt run through it too. Yeah ,it might last until Bobbys done with it, but I'd be leary. My next suggestion is put it in neutral and see how long it holds together..........bet it wont take 2mins........limiter and all....... boom.

Last edited by ridepate on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 pm

Bobby , pate makes a good point...... Wink
there is more than one way to skin a cat..... :D
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:53 pm

ridepate wrote:
Ronnie,
I would not recommend it either if the dealer was willing to do the right thing, but in Bobbys case, make'em pay..............

I know pate. Just making a good point on top of a good point.

Your a good dude in my book allright and your right on the money here........ Bobby is getting hosed along with a lot of other RZR owners pot
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 11:07 pm

Big-R wrote:
ridepate wrote:
Ronnie,
I would not recommend it either if the dealer was willing to do the right thing, but in Bobbys case, make'em pay..............

Your a good dude in my book allright and your right on the money here........ Bobby is getting hosed along with a lot of other RZR owners pot

Is this the most honest route to take?? Maybe yes, maybe no. Since we all have a pretty good investment in these machines, and I use the word investment only in the fun factor, we have a certain expectation as any consumer, it will perform as advertised. I'm sure the paperwork or ads did'nt say "Razor-Sharp Performance,Just Bring A Few Quarts Of Oil"..........I personally would have no problem grenading the motor.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 11:11 pm

ridepate wrote:
Big-R wrote:
ridepate wrote:
Ronnie,

Is this the most honest route to take?? Maybe yes, maybe no. Since we all have a pretty good investment in these machines, and I use the word investment only in the fun factor, we have a certain expectation as any consumer, it will perform as advertised. I'm sure the paperwork or ads did'nt say "Razor-Sharp Performance,Just Bring A Few Quarts Of Oil"..........I personally would have no problem grenading the motor.

Bobby is handling it much better then I. I would flameing
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:19 am

Hell its insured just roll it off a mountain lol! You know after discussing Bobby's problems for days the one thing that ive figured out is, (and Im not blasting you Bobby) Most all of us know that these things are not just plug and play. They require owner intervention, You just cant hop in them and go riding every weekend without keeping a eye on things. If it was me, and my motor was rebuilt due to dirt ingestion, I would have pulled that filter after every ride and inspected it for dust, first sign of it, back to the dealer since they talked him into that 5 or 600.00 air filter. The 08 RZR was a first year and it had some issues, you even said you knew going in what could happen. It seems to me and correct me if im wrong but you love to ride but really are not into the running's of it. I get this from what you said about it using oil, you never looked in the filter or anything just loaded it up and took it to the dealer. Like I said Im not blasting or blaming you, alot of people are like this, but to be honest you would be happier with a rhino that you can do that with. They are far enough along being in the 5th year of production that you can get by with just turning the key and riding, its kinda like having a family car rather than a sports car. I really like my RZR, and it will have no dirt in the motor as I will see to that. I love tinkering with them like 90% on this forum do and it will get the attention required to keep it top notch and running strong. allright DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in this post are my own, youres may differ so if they do. :foff: :(lmao:
Back to top Go down
GODAWGS

GODAWGS

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:45 am

I have an 08 RZR and havent had any troubles but then again I relocated my airbox. Gunny is that you on the main page wearing that navy sweat jacket?
Back to top Go down
Bobby D

Bobby D

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:04 am

I did check the filter after each ride after the motor was rebuilt with the DFR airbox and cleaned it and I never saw where dirt was getting past the filter.The dealer never talked me into the DFR airbox or did I buy it from them.I researched a fix for the dust problem and after reading up on different fixes I chose to buy the DFR airbox and have it shipped directly to the dealer and have them install it when the motor was rebuilt so I would never have the pronlem again I thought.I do ride more than most people I know and you are right I need something that don't require as much care or work on my part since i don't really care for working on stuff myself or have a garage to do it.

Gunny, Are you going to install a plate and filter between the seats and close off you factory fresh air intake and if so what are you going to do?I have been thinking about the EHS http://www.ehsracing.com/products/universal_2203_airbox_EHS.htm double plate system with two plates and a prefilter.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Ok, I thought i read that you said the dealer installed it i assumed he sold it to you. Ok, if you read this, http://www.prcforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2896&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ok, the problem with the 08 is that the cover behind the seats had no seal so it lets dirty air go directly into the intake box,and the stock filter could not filter it all out. on my 09 that has been fixed with a foam seal,and the new filter is 100% more effective than the old one. But im going a step farther and going into the air intake box like in the pictures on that post and sealing around the air and cvt intake with black silicone, then im going to close off the bottom of the intake hood and add a K&N filter as a pre filter, then not only will it stop 99% of the dust from going into my filter cannister it will put clean air in my cvt which will keep dirt out of it too. If you do the same and close that gap in the cover and use the updated throttle boot(tell dealer to install it, even if you have to buy it its just 23.00) you will not have any more dirt issues. I wish you were closer id do it for you! The only thing i have not figured out is what kind of cover to use over the k&n, but a quick fix is a 6x9 speaker grill, i tried it and fit was perfect. The kn cost was 37.00, the rest is just labor, that kit you showed is not near as effective as the kn.Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either Kn_ins11
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 12:12 pm

GODAWGS wrote:
I have an 08 RZR and havent had any troubles but then again I relocated my airbox. Gunny is that you on the main page wearing that navy sweat jacket?

All i see on the main page is the ass end of yanks rhino lol! Just look for the big guy in the prowler if yank puts that pic back up, imo that was a great header pic we should always use or one like it from our next big event.
Back to top Go down
Bobby D

Bobby D

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 12:20 pm

[quote="GunRunner"]Ok, I thought i read that you said the dealer installed it i assumed he sold it to you. Ok, if you read this, http://www.prcforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2896&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ok, the problem with the 08 is that the cover behind the seats had no seal so it lets dirty air go directly into the intake box,and the stock filter could not filter it all out. on my 09 that has been fixed with a foam seal

Polaris did a recall and added the foam strip to the early 08's and mine had that done.With the DFR airbox the new throttle body boot is not needed because the way the DFR airbox is mounted it will flex with the motor where the factory airbox will not.What are you going to use to block off the factory air intake opening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either   Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't sound good for the 09 RZRs either
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next