SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tierod?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Tierod? Empty
PostSubject: Tierod?   Tierod? EmptySat Dec 27, 2008 7:51 pm

I have a tierod end question? We got to go on a good ride today, and I got in a bind aginst a tree and the tierod end pulled off of the rod. It was only on with about three treads.It just pulled out. We put it back on and screwed on on more, but now I am out of line in the front.Can I screw the rod out more from the part where it goes to the steering part in the fram? It has a black looking rubber boot on it.I could not tell what was in it/how it was atached. That did not end out ride. But a few hours later I popped the tierod off again same side. This time it popped off on the spindel I had to use bunngy cords to hold it together for the long slow ride home.

Last edited by tim on Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Tierod? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tierod?   Tierod? EmptySat Dec 27, 2008 8:05 pm

Tim,
There are no threads on the rack-side, just a ball and socket. I'd center the steering wheel first.Look on top of the rack where the shaft from the steering wheel connects, there should be a pink mark on the rack and a blue mark on the shaft, line those two up and it should be centered. If the wheels are cocked at that point, adjust the tie rod ends to get some toe-in and the wheels straight.
No reason for the end to come off the shaft unless the jam-nut was loose or the steering wasnt centered from the factory. If the end popped off the ball at the spindle the second time, you need a new end. It can be hammered back on but will pop off again.
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

Tierod? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tierod?   Tierod? EmptySat Dec 27, 2008 8:18 pm

I hammered it back on with a rock and them drive about 15 feet and it pooped off agian. We then used a bungy cord to hold it down. I am going to order a new one. I will work on centering it up when I put the new one on.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Tierod? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tierod?   Tierod? EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 10:38 am

Give me a call, I got a tie rod end for ya, I still need to change that ball joint! allright
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

Tierod? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tierod?   Tierod? EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 6:06 pm

Update thanks to clayboy we/he got it fixed today. The spindel was bent probly cosed to to pop off. What a nice guy he even let me use his presser washer to spray the mudd off. Thanks agian Clay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tierod? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tierod?   Tierod? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tierod?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: General :: General SidexSide Discussion-
Jump to: