SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?

Go down 
+6
bush
shawnley1222
moto92
ChrisC
Big-R
RZRSguy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
RZRSguy

RZRSguy

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? Empty
PostSubject: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:06 pm

I am looking at purchasing an enclosed trailer to convert into a toy hauler. I drive an 06 Nissan Titan that can pull up to 9500 lbs. For the people using similar vehicles do you think my truck could pull a 8.5X20 or 8.5X24 with a rzr without struggling. Any insight would be great.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 pm

RZRSguy wrote:
I am looking at purchasing an enclosed trailer to convert into a toy hauler. I drive an 06 Nissan Titan that can pull up to 9500 lbs. For the people using similar vehicles do you think my truck could pull a 8.5X20 or 8.5X24 with a rzr without struggling. Any insight would be great.

LT's Z-71 didn't like pulling his enclosed trailer. I think a 20 footer would be a little big for the Nissan.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Keep in mind. pulling an inclosed trailer , is like pulling a brick.
because of wind drag. just by adding my windshield to my Rhino.
my Yukon burn twice as much gas to TN. this weekend.

Chris.. Eat
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 pm

what motor is in the titan. ive got an f150 with the 5.4 triton and i pulled a 7x16 dolittle like it was nothing. i had a buddy with the 4.6 and he pulled a 20 ft but you could tell that smaller motor was working harder. it was always downshifting and way high in the rpms.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:56 pm

Big-R wrote:
RZRSguy wrote:

LT's Z-71 didn't like pulling his enclosed trailer. I think a 20 footer would be a little big for the Nissan.

dont hate on the Nissans they are stronger then you would think I think the Titan is a 5.6 :D
Back to top Go down
RZRSguy

RZRSguy

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 10:48 pm

the titan has a 5.6
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 11:08 pm

shawnley1222 wrote:
Big-R wrote:
RZRSguy wrote:

dont hate on the Nissans they are stronger then you would think I think the Titan is a 5.6 :D

I am not a Hater

Any gas powered truck is not going to like a 20' enclosed trailer. That is if you drive any distance. $.02
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 12:27 am

Shocked i would't say any gas truck, big-R i pull a 24ft cattle trailer thats over 15000lb when loaded with no trouble at all with my gas Smiles
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 am

bush-rhino wrote:
Shocked i would't say any gas truck, big-R i pull a 24ft cattle trailer thats over 15000lb when loaded with no trouble at all with my gas Smiles

1/2 ton gas Wink
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 5:49 am

My trailer is an 8.5'x18'. My truck has no trouble pullling it around on flat ground, but once it was loaded and we were doing a lot of starting and stopping, and especially going up hills, my truck got hot. Keep in mind, it was around 95 degrees that day and I was running my a/c. I had my cousing put in a larger radiator and a transmission cooler, so I am hoping my truck does better. I will find out soon enough. My Dad is pulling it from WV to KY tomorrow completely loaded with my Rhino and a lot of my household goods.
I would say a 20' or 24' may be a little much if you are going to travel through the mountains, but around the local area you would be okay. For one SxS, you don't really need that much. P-anerman uses a 16' for two atvs and my 18' fits my Rhino and King Quad with a little room to spare.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Gary

Gary

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 7:38 am

another thing also is do you have enough mirror to see around a 8.5 trailer also what does your dealer say , then I would invest in a heavy duty hitch an sway bars. the most inportant is check your rear door height that it is high enough to get in an do what you want.It might haul a po po but a rhino is taller .my f350 4x4 7.3 gets 12.5 pulling a 28ft trailer an yes I know its there in the mts.If you couild find a 5th wheel or goose neck would be the way to go,better ride an pull easyier to put in tight places just my 26cents worth
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 9:24 am

I'm not going to get elaborate here, but will throw this into the pile.....the weight of your truck is more of the issue.
An S10 will pull the trailer....not well and no MPG, but it will pull it. Problem is that the S10 ( used as an example ) is to light and doesn't have the suspension to handle the weight. Another thing to consider is aerodynamics. A bull nose trailer smashes a lot of wind, were as a V nose trailer will cut through. Any one pulling a loaded 20' trailer with a 1/2 ton gass burner is a over the line.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 10:17 am

Gary wrote:
another thing also is do you have enough mirror to see around a 8.5 trailer also what does your dealer say , then I would invest in a heavy duty hitch an sway bars. the most inportant is check your rear door height that it is high enough to get in an do what you want.It might haul a po po but a rhino is taller .my f350 4x4 7.3 gets 12.5 pulling a 28ft trailer an yes I know its there in the mts.If you couild find a 5th wheel or goose neck would be the way to go,better ride an pull easyier to put in tight places just my 26cents worth

I agree. You will no doubt run into issues with some trailers and clearance at the rear door. I had to request and additional 6" with mine when I ordered it. I was advised about a load distributing hitch and when I inquired, the camper dealer told me to pull it first and see if it was necessary. I ended up going with a hitch with a simple anti sway bar. The hitch and sway bar were less than 100 bucks total, and it does a fine job. If I were going with a larger trailer than what I have, then I would definitely want a load distributing hitch because the 18' makes my truck squat pretty good. I would also consider a bigger truck if I were going any bigger than 20'.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 am

Big-R wrote:
shawnley1222 wrote:
Big-R wrote:
RZRSguy wrote:

I am not a Hater

Any gas powered truck is not going to like a 20' enclosed trailer. That is if you drive any distance. $.02

kidding
Back to top Go down
Dreth

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 12:23 am

Foxfire wrote:
I'm not going to get elaborate here, but will throw this into the pile.....the weight of your truck is more of the issue.
An S10 will pull the trailer....not well and no MPG, but it will pull it. Problem is that the S10 ( used as an example ) is to light and doesn't have the suspension to handle the weight. Another thing to consider is aerodynamics. A bull nose trailer smashes a lot of wind, were as a V nose trailer will cut through. Any one pulling a loaded 20' trailer with a 1/2 ton gass burner is a over the line.

I AGREE 100%. I have a 18' V nose that is 7ft wide. I have a f150 5.4 triton 4x4 and that is the biggest i would ever try to pull with my truck. I am in florida and I only get 8 miles to the gallon @ 70mph. I can pull the same cargo on my open trailer and get 14 mile per gallon @ 75mph.

Now you put a 20' or 24' flat nose behind my truck and i would have to pull a gas station with me too lol!
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 7:48 am

Well, my Dad pulled my 18' v-nose all the way from WV (FULLY loaded, and I mean FULLY) and it did okay, but the MPG sucked. I drove it some of the way once he got close to base. It did fine once you get up to speed, but it sure took a few seconds to get there. I can tell you this for sure........I won't be getting that trailer loaded like that again and trying to go any distance without a bigger truck. Granted, I had the Rhino in there and all the rest of the space was household goods. He even had the bed of the truck loaded down and the inside of the cab, so it was a lot of weight, way more than when I will be going out riding.
Back to top Go down
Dreth

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Airborne LT wrote:
Well, my Dad pulled my 18' v-nose all the way from WV (FULLY loaded, and I mean FULLY) and it did okay, but the MPG sucked. I drove it some of the way once he got close to base. It did fine once you get up to speed, but it sure took a few seconds to get there. I can tell you this for sure........I won't be getting that trailer loaded like that again and trying to go any distance without a bigger truck. Granted, I had the Rhino in there and all the rest of the space was household goods. He even had the bed of the truck loaded down and the inside of the cab, so it was a lot of weight, way more than when I will be going out riding.

My truck pulled it fine. Stopped it good. Had plenty of power. The fuel milage sucked badly!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?   Question about pulling an enclosed trailer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about pulling an enclosed trailer?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: General :: General SidexSide Discussion-
Jump to: