SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?

Go down 
+5
TexasChopper
AIRBORNE
ChrisC
wvyankee2
RZRSguy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
RZRSguy

RZRSguy

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? Empty
PostSubject: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:06 am

I currently get about 14 mpg going through KY and Tn while pulling my old rhino on an open trailer. I am considering a v-nose enclosed 7x16, for those who have pulled similar trailers what do you think my mpg will be with a rzr in it? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:38 am

Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 5:16 am

Gas milage with any inclosed trailer is not good.

I drug one around for 20 years pulling the race cars.
with everything from a 454 gas to a duramax.
milage is never as good as an open trailer.
you just got to decide if the security of it being inside is worth
the extra cost.... Wink Thay are much nicer i grant you. But thay
are a pain to park in some places. and hell to turn around.
Keep in mind alot of our rides. the hotels we stay in. you will have
a hell of a time getting that thing in and out. and turned around.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 9:24 am

I don't regret buying mine. Granted, I am in the military and move more often than most. Having this trailer saved me around 300-400 just with bring my stuff from WV to KY this week. Also, I like the idea of having a place to sleep that is dry and comfortable when we go places that are not near hotels, like Land Between the Lakes. My family will be out there alot over the course of the year, and I feel like it made sense for me. Tent camping was okay, but cold and wet at times. This way my wife and little one won't have to deal with that.

BTW, the MPG thing.......sucks.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
TexasChopper

TexasChopper

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 9:28 am

I get around 10mpg pulling a 6X10 enclosed trailer behind an 07 Wrangler. Not a V-nose though.
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 1:08 pm

I have a 2004 ford Powerstroke, stock was getting 15 empty, put on a programmer, gutted the cat, and did an airaid air filter, I now get 18mpg empty around town, out shop trailer is extra tall about 7-8ft. and 8 ft. wide and 14 ft. long pulling it to Hatfield McCpy I got about 12mpg
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 1:42 pm

You will get around 9mpg with a gasser. I'd be shocked if it was any better. Does not matter if it's the Ford 5.4, Hemi 5.7 or Chevy 6.0/5.3. If you get 9mpg with a 7 x 16 enclosed with Rhino then you are doing good. I assume when you say Ky and Tn there will be some hills...

Now if you have a Diesel it's a different story. They like a little load and I have seen them get as high as 15mpg+ with a similar trailer.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 2:49 pm

Wind drag is huge in towing. It has twice the effect as the weight of what your pulling. One of the reasons Nascar spends so much money on aerodynamics. It gobbles Horsepower. Mad
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Wind drag is huge in towing. It has twice the effect as the weight of what your pulling.

Is that ever true. I get between 6 and 7 mpg towing my 27ft ToyHauler with my Hemi. I've got plenty of power but it takes lots of fuel. There is nothing like having to stop for gas after only 150 miles.
Back to top Go down
Dreth

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 6:29 pm

You will get no more than 10mpg in any case. Like has been said above, security and a place to sleep is worth the milage if your trips are not over 150 miles.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dirt

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 10:32 pm

I have a 24' enclosed that I get 9.5 mpg pulling with my 08 F450...I also have a 40" Fuzion toyhauler that is 13' 4" tall and I still get 9 to 9.5 pulling it too....go figure that ! Truck has a 6.4 twin turbo with a 430 gear.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kentuckyriders.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?   Gas mileage with enclosed trailer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Gas mileage with enclosed trailer?
Page 1 of 1