SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stereo Head Unit

Go down 
+2
tim
martman100
6 posters
AuthorMessage
martman100
SSXSRider Member
martman100

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 7:48 am

Okay guys I have an Ipod hook up but not sure I really like it or not. I really wish I had a head unit has an Ipod hookup. But this way I can listen to the stereo, cd's, and Ipod. The cds would be for when sitting still. A few questions below. I did a search but could not find the answers.

What are the big issues with head units?
Did yours go out really quick?
Also is there a unit that takes an SD card or similar and will play music off of it?
Are the marine enclosures water tight? So I can wash without worry.

I am trying to avoid an amplifier so I would need a head unit with enough power to push a couple small speakers.

Thanks again. I tried searching but could not find tech info on these questions.
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 8:09 am

You can get one that takes a sd card. Check crutchfield and I think I saw one at wallyworld that had a slot for it. I would get one that has a plug for Ipod/mp3 player. I had one in my Rhino and had no ploblems with it. I could not listen to the cd player unless it was turned off. I would listen to the Ipod or radio when ridding.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 8:28 am

I have a Sony marine cd player with mp3 hookup. It works good, but will skip if you are hitting the really rough stuff. I have an enclosure on mine and it will keep most water out. I would avoid spraying directly on it. It is a 42x4 and it pushes the 6 speaker bar from J-Strong and sounds good. I paid 89 dollars for the deck.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 10:04 am

Check Online Stereo.com.......much better than Crutchfield in my opinion. I got a Boss from them ...CD, usb port, and SD card. I can lister to cd while I ride but large bumpswill cause the CD to skip. So I have loaded 280 songs on a 2Meg SD card....works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll need to put the unit in an Marine en closer....which you can get from Hunterworks.com Speakers are the key to a good sounding stereo.....so I splurged on them.....bough Wake Board speakers from Liquid Audio.

Head unit is 350 watts $ 180.00
En closer ....................$ 100.00 (?)
Speakers......................$420.00
Back to top Go down
mking
SSXSRider Member
mking

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 10:29 am

Me tim moore and 3 other people bought the extreme metal products en closers that mount in the dash and have had the same radio in them for over two years
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 pm

mking wrote:
Me tim moore and 3 other people bought the extreme metal products en closers that mount in the dash and have had the same radio in them for over two years

Same enclosure I had for the unit when I had it in the dash. It is a metal box that protects the unit. On the front I have that white enclosure with the black "bubble" face plate cover.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
martman100
SSXSRider Member
martman100

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks everyone and especially to the alternative to Crutchfield. Now I just need to eat my pride and tell the wife I made a bad decision on my initial purchase. scratch
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 9:06 pm

Here's a pic!
Stereo Head Unit DSCF0216-1
Here is a closer pic of the "Marine Enclosure"
Stereo Head Unit DSCF0146
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:14 pm

I got the same 1 as Fox its holding up really good. After a ride the cover is all dirty and I wash it and it still works like new cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stereo Head Unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Head Unit   Stereo Head Unit Empty

Back to top Go down

Stereo Head Unit
Page 1 of 1