SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalRegisterLog in

Need help with brakes

Go down 
+3
wvyankee2
nocerisdave
rhino nut
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rhino nut
SSXSRider Member
rhino nut

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Need help with brakes Empty
PostSubject: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Hello can some of you pros out there help me with my brake problem? I put a new set of rear brake pads on my 07 450 rhino an now i dont have hardly any pedal an hardly any E-brake, The only thing i didnt do is re-install the white shims that go between the metal shims with the holes in them an the pads can someone tell me if the white shims need to go back in? Beacuse i do not have any idea what else the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks Rhino Nut
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Did you bleed them? What model is your Rhino? My 07 didnt come with any white shims.
Back to top Go down
rhino nut
SSXSRider Member
rhino nut

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 7:18 am

Yes i bled them well, yes it is an 07 they are some kind of assbestos or something they go between the metal shim an the pad. Thanks Rhino Nut
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 1:13 pm

Yes, you need to reinstall the shim pads on the rear brake. Number 8 and 9 here.

Need help with brakes 0037x
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 2:55 pm

I agree, you need to reinstall it. Its put there for a couple of reasons from what I understand. One is to transfer heat the other is as a spacer. If you don't put it back you can eat up brake pads.
Back to top Go down
rhino nut
SSXSRider Member
rhino nut

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm

Thank you all very much for the help, I ordered them today an will get them put back in, Because the landfill is the new owners of mine. Stupid me. Thanks very much Rhino NUT
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 11:51 pm

Dang mines an 07 too. I dont remember thost shims. I just changed my rears Friday. That must be my problem eating up the rear pads. Thanks for bringing this up Rhino Nut, and for the answer Yank! Does anybody know for sure what they are made of?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 12:56 am

nocerisdave wrote:
Dang mines an 07 too. I dont remember thost shims. I just changed my rears Friday. That must be my problem eating up the rear pads. Thanks for bringing this up Rhino Nut, and for the answer Yank! Does anybody know for sure what they are made of?

There kind of like a piece of felt.
Back to top Go down
Last Chance Rhino
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 10:19 am

How do you stop the brake "squeal"?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 11:24 am

Last Chance Rhino wrote:
How do you stop the brake "squeal"?

It's really just something you have to live with. Grit gets in between the outside disc pad and the rotor and is the source of the squeak. The self adjusting feature of this brake causes the outside pad on caliper to pull back against the disc. Any tiny particle there will cause the squeak. Next time you clean up the Rhino, take a water hose and flush out well that caliper and disc. Noise will be gone........until the next time it hits the woods. Wink
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 11:39 am

i find that after cleaning it i still have that chatter noise and grinding sound marty has heard it . i wear bigger ear plugs or crank up the tunes i havent heard a rhino yet that doesnt make brake noise
Back to top Go down
sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 6:18 pm

next time you ride...try holding your foot on the brake and give gas at the same time.creates a scuffing effect on your pads and rotor.Sometimes a pad will become glazed over and shiny creating squeaks.But doing this is a quick way to try and scuff them up a bit.Or if you have the time..take your pads off and just ruff them up with some sand paper.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 pm

I've found-out the softer the pad, the less the noise. The Yamaha pads are supierior as far as wear goes, but they are rock-hard resulting in more noise ,that's why they last so long. I have used sintered and non-sintered EBCs, they are a little softer, but wear quicker than the Yammies.
My current set is some E-Bay ,24.95 for all three discs, super-soft and quiet big-time, but they are not going to last but 200 miles the way they look now. Being so sticky tho they stop better than either of the others, hands-down. I like the E-Bay ones so much, I ordered two more sets. This pertains to 660 rear.
Back to top Go down
rhino nut
SSXSRider Member
rhino nut

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:24 pm

Put the shims back in an have my E-brake back but the pedal still drops more than it used to. An if you ride for a min without hitting the brakes the pedal feels a little soft you can pump them one time an they feel good again. I have bled them i think plenty. Could there possibly still be air in them? Thanks you guys an gals for the help. Rhino Nut
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 8:41 pm

rhino nut wrote:
Put the shims back in an have my E-brake back but the pedal still drops more than it used to. An if you ride for a min without hitting the brakes the pedal feels a little soft you can pump them one time an they feel good again. I have bled them i think plenty. Could there possibly still be air in them? Thanks you guys an gals for the help. Rhino Nut

If you did not open the lines you should not have air in them. If you did, you might have a little in there. You dont have to open the lines to change the pads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with brakes   Need help with brakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with brakes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: General :: Tech Talk-
Jump to: