SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides

Go down 
+11
bush
r6realtor
Mud-and-Guts
2Slow4U
ChrisC
4x4pac
Big-R
nocerisdave
ridepate
mason
wvyankee2
15 posters
AuthorMessage
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides Empty
PostSubject: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 7:49 pm

On Fox news today.

Back to top Go down
mason
SSXSRider Member
mason

Number of posts : 2247
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 7:58 pm

they need to keep there nose out of my fun thatsright we have to pay for other stupid peoples doings NoPoo
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 8:00 pm

The dumb-asses ruin it for everybody else ,everytime.....................
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 8:27 pm

Thats a Po what? False sense of security? Inexperience? refrigindickulas.....
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 8:36 pm

and you can't take a turn in a car to fast????? And they do regulate that. WTF All it will lead to is a fun TAX of some kind. They see more and more people buying them and they see money.
Back to top Go down
4x4pac

4x4pac

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 8:49 pm

I found the problem. They let stupid news reporters ride around in a ROV and he doesn't follow the safety rules. He stated that a warring sticker says always wear a helmet, were was his helmet?
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4pac.com
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 9:07 pm

A whole lot more people are killed in other ways
like car's and other stuff than in Side by Sides.... Rolling Eyes
Government wants there nose in everything.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Cell phones (especially texting) have likely killed far more people than that, while driving... What does CPSC say about those?

Let's outlaw and ban cell phones, OK?
--------------------------------------------------------------

Teen Driver Cell Phone and Text Messaging Statistics

• Despite the risks, the majority of teen drivers ignore cell phone driving restrictions.
  • In 2007, driver distractions, such as using a cell phone or text messaging, contributed to nearly 1,000 crashes involving 16- and 17-year-old drivers.
  • Over 60 percent of American teens admit to risky driving, and nearly half of those that admit to risky driving also admit to text messaging behind the wheel.
  • Each year, 21% of fatal car crashes involving teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 were the result of cell phone usage. This result has been expected to grow as much as 4% every year.
  • Almost 50% of all drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 are texting while driving.
  • Over one-third of all young drivers, ages 24 and under, are texting on the road.
  • Teens say that texting is their number one driver distraction.

Adult Driver Cell Phone, Texting, and Car Accident Information

• Talking on a cell phone causes nearly 25% of car accidents.
  • One-fifth of experienced adult drivers in the United States send text messages while driving.
  • A study of dangerous driver behavior released in January 2007 by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. found that of 1,200 surveyed drivers, 73 percent talk on cell phones while driving.
  • The same 2007 survey found that 19 percent of motorists say they text message while driving.
  • In 2005, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that ten percent of drivers are on handheld or hands free cell phones at any given hour of the day.
  • A study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Motorists found that motorists who use cell phones while driving are four times more likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves.
  • In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.
  • According to the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, drivers talking on cell phones are 18 percent slower to react to brake lights. They also take 17 percent longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked.
  • An estimated 44 percent of American drivers now have cell phones in their automobiles.
  • Of cell phone users that were surveyed, 85 percent said they use their phones occasionally when driving, 30 percent use their phones while driving on the highway, and 27 percent use them during half or more of the trips they take.
  • 84 percent of cell phone users stated that they believe using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of being in an accident.
  • The majority of Americans believe that talking on the phone and texting are two of the the most dangerous behaviors that occur behind the wheel. Still, as many as 81% of drivers admit to making phone calls while driving.
  • The number of crashes and near-crashes linked to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
  • Studies have found that texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

MORE: http://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cell/statistics.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 9:54 pm

If they keep that up we will have to pay more taxes to pay to have Rangers/Officers on the trails to give us tickets for not wearing helments.

That's a bunch of bull. 116 died of 400,000 vehicles in use!!! That's good odds to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
r6realtor

r6realtor

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:00 pm

Hey guys I'd like to see this video but for some reason I get nothing but codes, no links, this seems to happen on almost the vids on this site for me, I get to miss everything! Help Sorry about off topic.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:35 pm

r6realtor wrote:
Hey guys I'd like to see this video but for some reason I get nothing but codes, no links, this seems to happen on almost the vids on this site for me, I get to miss everything! Help Sorry about off topic.

I know that most of the Florida guys can't see the vids. I am not sure way. DontKnow
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 12:22 am

there was a man killed here in the county i live in this passed week but a JD gator xuv . the man was 93 y/o and they think it started to roll off and then ran him over. Shocked said he was hunting with family and they spit up to go to there hunting spots. the park brake was half set and the gator had a full cab. they think he was trying to set the brake as it was rolling and the door to the cab knocked him down and then he was ran over.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Mikebike4

Mikebike4

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 8:00 am

If you are too stupid to operate any machinery...you die. Sounds fair to me.
Who needs politicians?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 8:50 am

Damn Bush. That sounds like some tough luck for that old timer. Sorry to hear about that. I hope I can make it to 93......and it would be okay for me to kick out there in the woods doing what I love best.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 8:57 am

Airborne LT wrote:
Damn Bush. That sounds like some tough luck for that old timer. Sorry to hear about that. I hope I can make it to 93......and it would be okay for me to kick out there in the woods doing what I love best.

thats what i said to to my co workers after we got the call.

if that happens to me i atleast went out doing what i love ,especially at 93
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 11:15 am

Nice video, but he's driving a rzr and talking about all the lawsuits which we know is 99% about the rhino and yamaha WTF But why worry as said there have been so many federal studies into stuff like cell/text and driving and helmets, which many states have dumped their helmet laws in recent years for motorcyclists over the age of 18. this will result in more stickers and thats about it is my guess.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Badride
SSXSRider Member
Badride

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 12:10 pm

Yeah I agree with all of you.

I just heard from one of the factory Can Am riders that he got to take a test ride in one of the new Can Am SXSs. They were still pretty secret about it, there was covers and tape over most of it. But they said it rocks! They were told that Can Am was planning to release them in 2010 but they are now waiting until all the dust settles from the lawsuits and see what regulations the goverment comes up with before producing them.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 1:33 pm

One area that I fully expect CPSC to get heavily involved is in the "safety equipment" that's there. IMO, what's really hurt the UTV industry is the false sense of security provided by the rollcages and seatbelts -- either of which might be "substandard" by other definitions. The manufacturers have been "dancing around" these issues for quite a while now.

1. Standards and certification of the rollcage as a true ROPS that matches the capabilities of the machine -- I'm not sure the ones who now advertise their ROPS as "certified" would/should really comply, because of the combinations of speed and weight. A ROPS that would otherwise pass certification for a machine limited to 25 MPH or under (classified as a slow moving vehicle) would not (and should not, if you think about it) pass certification for a 50 MPH machine. The Kawasaki Mules are governed to stay in that "slow-moving vehicle" category, for example. So are the Kubotas, though I'm not sure what Deere does with theirs... To my knowledge, there is no similar ROPS standard for the higher-speed machines.

2. Certification of the seat belts specifically and perhaps other restraint devices such as doors, door nets, etc. Compare the quality of the OEM UTV seatbelts to those in your car or truck, for example. I think all would characterize the OEM UTV seatbelts as crap, in comparison, and perhaps totally inadequate -- and should be 4-point harnesses instead.

Even farm or hobby (Kubota BX, etc) tractors have a certified ROPS and seatbelts now, and those restrictions have been in place for a while...
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 7:06 pm

I personally think 4-points, or even 5, from the factory would save a few Darwinistic-Knuckleheads from dying, as long as they wear them of course.
The stock shoulder/laps all of them come with stock right now, like Kent said, are total junk.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 8:43 pm

The 4-5 point stock would be great but I'd bet most of the ones getting hurt would not have wore them.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 10:32 pm

Many/most of the people injured likely weren't wearing helmets nor using the seatbelts already provided, nor operating the vehicles as they're told to operate them.

My point is simply that if you are going to include some type of safety device then the safety device should function and perform as described or expected.

That's all...
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 10:07 am

They should have 4-5 point harnesses and a safety feature on it as some of the new bikes have on the parking brake so if it is not buckeled in, the bike will not move. lots will curse it but they will have to wear it till they find an override.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides   Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides Empty

Back to top Go down

Feds looking into more regulation on SidexSides
Page 1 of 1