SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grease your U-Joints?

Go down 
+3
FLY TRAP
shawnley1222
wvyankee2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Grease your U-Joints? Empty
PostSubject: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 10:52 pm

I was wondering if anyone has an easy way of greasin the driveshaft U-Joints. I got about 400 miles on my Rhino now, and it has seen ALOT of creek crossings. I figure it's time to grease them, and the Zerks look like a bitch to get grease into. Any ideas are appreciated. scratch
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 10:55 pm

some people say that a needle tip will do it .i have tried but doesnt seem to get mut in the hole lol!
i keep meaning to go by the dealorship and ask them how they do it :cyclops:
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 11:49 pm

I was thinkin about putting in a 90Deg. Zerk, and takin out the 45's they have in there. You may be able to get on there with a flexible grease hose, but I dont have one to see.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 pm

i think i used a flexible hose i cant rmember sorry
Back to top Go down
FLY TRAP

FLY TRAP

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 11:09 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
I was thinkin about putting in a 90Deg. Zerk, and takin out the 45's they have in there. You may be able to get on there with a flexible grease hose, but I dont have one to see.

What ever you do dont take them out! I did, they are a funkey thread and i couldnt find one to fit back. After two hours and taking my front diff loose and moving it foward to drop the drive shaft off so the joint could be turned out of the way got mine back in. I used a injector adapter from napa to grease mine. you have to hit it just right but it will work. Heres a link

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=7151251&Description=Grease+Injector
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 11:30 pm

I will have to try that one.i got mine at advance and it looks like a little needle compared to that one!!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 2:00 am

thanks Flytrap Exclamation
Back to top Go down
wrenchhead

wrenchhead

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:16 pm

the fitting threads are metric and i also use a needle to grease the ones on my atv I have not found a small enough head to fit the fittings
Back to top Go down
greenhead

greenhead

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 9:31 pm

Just done it last week it takes a needle adapter for you grease gun and then it wasn't that easy but it works. I was thinking if I don't do it now then it will cause bigger trouble later. Cool
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 9:55 pm

Has anyone ever checked with their Yamaha shop to see how they do it? Just curious.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Nope i try and the those people suspect they just want my money :evil:
Back to top Go down
fredfast

fredfast

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 8:07 am

FLY TRAP wrote:
wvyankee2 wrote:

What ever you do dont take them out! I did, they are a funkey thread and i couldnt find one to fit back. After two hours and taking my front diff loose and moving it foward to drop the drive shaft off so the joint could be turned out of the way got mine back in. I used a injector adapter from napa to grease mine. you have to hit it just right but it will work. Heres a link

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=7151251&Description=Grease+Injector

they sell one really similar to this at tractor supply too!! its only like $4.00 there ! works pretty good, thats what i use,
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 5:38 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Has anyone ever checked with their Yamaha shop to see how they do it? Just curious.

Marty the yamaha dealer just takes the three bolts out of the front
diff and pulls if foward. and it falls out. i dont know why yall have such
a problem with this. i did it in 30 min..... Rolling Eyes

Chris.... Wink
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 7:34 pm

ChrisC wrote:
wvyankee2 wrote:

Marty the yamaha dealer just takes the three bolts out of the front
diff and pulls if foward. and it falls out. i dont know why yall have such
a problem with this. i did it in 30 min..... Rolling Eyes

Chris.... Wink

No problem lineing it back up or putting it back in? What supports it when you disconnect it? scratch Looking at it seems like it would be a bitch to get back together if there was any pressure or weight to deal with. Not much room to work in there.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 7:53 pm

All you need to do , is make sure the yokes are lined up

As long as there lined up when you put the shaft in you are fine.
there is no weight. i can hold the front diff with one hand.... Wink
slide shaft out. turn yoke side ways and grease with normal grease
gun. put back together. Done.... cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grease your U-Joints?   Grease your U-Joints? Empty

Back to top Go down

Grease your U-Joints?
Page 1 of 1