SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion

Go down 
+4
BOOMERANG
utlover
BUZCLEV5
shawnley1222
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Here is a thread to discuss tires an wheels and your favorites.

To start the discussion off what does everyone think of a 27" Maxxis Zilla mounted on 12" Motosport Alloy Nuke Machined and Black wheels? I am close right now to going ahead an ordering this setup; since I know I will eventually, might as well do it now.

Has anyone had any problems running the 27" on the Rhino stock? Pretty sure it will clear without rubbing.

I have had experience in the past year with Mudbugs, EDL's, Bighorns so now I am going to try my luck at Zillas; and I intend to run these until they are worn out as I intend to run the Rhino until its worn out. These tires\wheels will probably be the end of my trading around.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
-Rick

Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion RhinoTires_Wheels
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 7:11 pm

i like that setup
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Been thinking off getting the Zillas My self. If i do i'm going to run the 27"s as lite as they Are probably liteer than my 26" DD XT'S Laughing
Back to top Go down
BUZCLEV5

BUZCLEV5

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 1:21 am

I RUN 27 MUD LITES AND HAVE NO PROBLES AT ALL, LOST SOME TOP END OF COURSE BUT THEY DO FINE
Back to top Go down
utlover

utlover

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 1:38 am

Like that set up good looking rims!!
Back to top Go down
BOOMERANG

BOOMERANG

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 9:13 am

That's a good looking set-up Rick................The same one that Boilermaker had picked out. Although, the Nukes were on back order and he is very impatient getting new accessories for his Rhino.

Maybe by the time you order, the Nukes will finally be in stock and you won't have to wait. The Zillas are a smooth ride on the road and hard packed trails. Stanley went with the 26" though, he didn't want to rob too much power and isn't adding any mods to the engine, yet.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 3:26 pm

Great looking combo Rick.....now the important decision..........offsets Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 4:15 pm

Thats the main thing I need to look at but I always order these as a "bigfoot kit". Guess if I want something specific I need to call them and ask for it.

What offset is everyone running an reccomends? I have not yet pushed the order button but was about too. I will also be ordering from ATVDirect.com with a decent discount.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm running 5-2 Front and Rear works good for me any wider and i couldn't stand any more Mud hitting me in the Head. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 7:55 pm

RSRRhino did you order yours as a "bigfoot kit"?

I will probably just go ahead an order the kit like I normally do. Aren't they normally 5-2 or are they 5+2 remember someone saying earlier?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Rick, mine are 4+3 all the way around, with 1" spacers on the rear. Got 55 1/2" track front, and 58 1/2" track rear.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 7:59 am

Thanks for the Replies

Can anyone figure out the offset of this kit located at:

http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTires/showProduct.php?id=8705&cat_id=754

This is now where the hold up is, I usually just order but it would be nice to get a good offset. The kit is probably 9 tires in the front and 11's in the back. Does everyone think this regualr offset is good, probably will be allittle wider?

I'll wait for my replies\suggestions and possibly order them tonight.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 9:24 am

Rick - here are my thoughts...

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE RIDING YOU WANT TO DO.... for me 26 and 27's are way to big for my trails and speed riding...great for the mud...I like mud - but dont ride in it but 25% of the time - so I cant set mine up for that. 12" wheels and 25" (8 front 10 rears) are what I like best.

I cant figure out what kind of offset they are offering in that biogfoot kit - email them and ask them in writing. Also, check this guy out for wheel and tire specials - plus he is in Greenville, SC and may help with shipping. matthewbell@atvoutfitters.net www.atvoutfitters.net

Here is my current setup and feed back.

Wheels and Offsets:

I just went from spacers and itp steel rims (stock 4+3 offset) to offset beadlock wheels....best improvement yet!

5+2 in the front, 2+5 in the rear, great stance, wider yes - but very agile. Was on 2" spacers rear and 1" front. Great stance - but I am not a fan of putting that stress on the spacer and thus the rest of the drive setup - IMO - put that stress into a wheel that can handle it. Only issue with this stance is the need for fender flares and mud control in the cab (if that bothers you)..... also - to me, Beadlocks make you feel far more comfortable in mud, ruts and crawling, provide anecessary support sytem to any wheel and tire combo, and well worth the extra weight.

Tires:

I run Maxxis Bighorns on those - and played this weekend in the mud at 5,6, & 7psi, and I normally run at 10-13 depending on terrain. I love this tire as an all around - and the MudZilla if you want to seriously mud bog. The ITP Terra cross is also a great all around radial. Just my $.02 to me - tires are personal based on where and how you ride.

Best of luck on this decision - I will say one thing - dont do like I did and piddle away on useless sets of wheel. Keep the stocks for around the house and playign around, replace the stock tires eventually with an alltrail tire when they are worn, and just get one set of fantastic wheels and tires for - what I call, trailer riding.... Anytime you load her up to go somewhere. I now have a set of stock tires and wheels that are useless to me.... buy what you want when you can get it - dont chince.

again - all just my opinions.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Rick, bottom line is that larger tires are not good 95% of the time. Here is a good article from ATV television. Also, do a little research on the net on "unsprung weight" and it's effects on a vehicle.

Questions about wheels and tires:

QUESTION? I recently purchased a new open-class 4x4 ATV and wonder what kind of tire you would suggest to put on it?

ANSWER: First let me say that the original equipment tires that come on ATVs are typically designed with light weight and low cost as priorities. A couple of manufacturers, most notably Polaris and Bombardier seem to send their ATVs out the door with good tires, but the Japanese companies don't.

I recommend radial tires as they help to make your ATV steer better and handle better on the trails. I also suggest that you come to grips with the truth about what you want your tires to do — work good or look good! It's a very common error to go with larger diameter, deep-lugged tires because they make your ATV look really good (or bad, whichever your perspective).

Larger, heavier tires affect your ATV in a number of negative ways. First, the added height results in taller or higher gearing. This will make your ATV accelerate slower. Second, the added weight adds to the flywheel effect of the tires making them much harder to start turning and harder to stop turning. This both slows your ATV down and wears the bearings and brakes out quicker. Third, the tire's added weight is more unsprung weight that dramatically increases the percentage of unsprung to sprung weight and will cause your ATV to ride much rougher. Fourth, the added height of the tires will affect the front geometry causing the steering to be much quicker feeling and less stable.

Tall, deep lugs are another feature that more often than not has more to do with looks rather than performance. Except in very muddy conditions, we have found less aggressive tires work just as good as the big mud and snow tires. Yes, even in the snow we found that the deep-lugged tires were not an advantage, and oftentimes found that on ATVs without locking front differentials the high traction mud and snow tires actually performed worse! And in typical work and trail conditions these mud and snow tires tore up the terrain much worse than more normal tires.

With that said let me add that ridden normally and not hot rodded around corners and up hills, the deep lugged tires are not much worse than a trail tire. Let me also add that because consumer demand is toward bigger and heavier treaded tires, we see few real good radial trail tires compared to trail mud and snow tires. That's really a shame!

So stick with a tire that's as close as possible to the size that came on the ATV. The big bore 4x4s can usually handle a 26" tire without too many problems when mounted on a 12" wheel. I prefer the least aggressive tires such as the Carlisle Badlands AR. These work best when mounted on 6" front wheels and 8" rears. Next would be the ITP Holeshot ATR. This is a great tire but also works better when mounted on the stock front wheels or at least a wheel that's less than 8" wide. Ridden carefully in all-weather conditions the Carlisle ACT is a great choice with the ITP XTR right behind it.

Also Rick, they will probably send you 5+2 offsets on all 4 unless you specify otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Tellico450

Tellico450

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 4:06 pm

ATV_Rick wrote:
Here is a thread to discuss tires an wheels and your favorites.

To start the discussion off what does everyone think of a 27" Maxxis Zilla mounted on 12" Motosport Alloy Nuke Machined and Black wheels? I am close right now to going ahead an ordering this setup; since I know I will eventually, might as well do it now.

Has anyone had any problems running the 27" on the Rhino stock? Pretty sure it will clear without rubbing.

I have had experience in the past year with Mudbugs, EDL's, Bighorns so now I am going to try my luck at Zillas; and I intend to run these until they are worn out as I intend to run the Rhino until its worn out. These tires\wheels will probably be the end of my trading around.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
-Rick

Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion RhinoTires_Wheels

copy-cat! :evil:
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 6:18 pm

wvyankee and rcmass thanks for the well thought out reply. Tellico how did I copy you, you were looking at a 25 or 26" Zilla but not the Motosport Nuke Wheels plus I am getting a 27" mininum.

Does anyone see a disadvantage to them all being 5+2 offset? I will probably go ahead an order it like that if thats what it is, I have ordered 2 other sets from this company. They are closed now so I can wait till later tonight to put in the order so maybe it will be processed tomorrow.

Keep the comments coming, lol!
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 6:30 pm

i got 5+2 all the way around and only wish i had a bit wider stance in the rear so gonna get spacers for rear only all 4 are 29.5 X 10 X 12
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 pm

those wheels are pretty sharp... good choice in my opinion!! as for the spacing... go with 2+5. that way, when you lift it... you'll already have the stance needed to be stable. :D not to mention, the 2+5 will help you hill climb... didn't you know? lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 10:28 pm

LOL......

Wheels, is yours 2+5 on all 4 wheels. Did you use the same size tires all the way around or stick with the narrower tires in the front an wider tires in back which is standard.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 6:16 am

I couldnt imagine turning a Rhino w/ 2+5 on 4 cornerrs with BigHorns or Zillas on - unless you are Wheelin and have power steering Wink
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 1:14 pm

i have the stock tires still on the rhino... and i went 2+5 on all four corners. I don't think it's bad at all... then again, i don't have really big meats on there yet(27-29 inch tires). cheers
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 2:46 pm

with the stock soft maxxis tire, 12" rim 2+5 all 4 corners shouldnt be too big of a deal.... but

turning 27-29 on a 14" rim with 2+5 on all 4 corners would be murder - especially with an aggressive tread like Big Hrons or Zillas, etc.

I think the 2+5 in the front...for the riding I do....would be way to out there for me.

In the rear its perfect for me with 5+2 up front. (technically still an inch out compared to teh 4+3 stock offset)
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 3:16 pm

rcmass wrote:

. (technically still an inch out compared to teh 4+3 stock offset)

The stock offsets are 5+1 front, and 5+2.5 rear with the stock steel wheels. Not sure what the sport aluminum wheels offset is.. but I think it is 6+1 by looking at them on the machine. If the stock offsets were 4+3, you would be an inch in by going to 5+2.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 3:32 pm

your math makes sense from 4+3 to 5+2... and I was misinformed about the stock offset. oops.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 3:44 pm

rcmass wrote:
your math makes sense from 4+3 to 5+2... and I was misinformed about the stock offset. oops.

The offsets do get confusing, between offset and backset. The 5+2 offset is measured from the inside of the wheel. 5" from inside to spindle face, and 2" from spindle face to outside of rim. A 4+3 would be 4" from inside of spindle face, and 3" from spindle face to outside of rim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion   Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Rhino Tires and Wheels Discussion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next