SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Belt Drive Case Filter

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Belt Drive Case Filter Empty
PostSubject: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 12:55 pm

Has anybody here at SxS had any problems yet with their clutch rollers being "Flat sided" from dust and dirt being in the belt drive?? Well this will fix that problem!!

FoxfireBelt Drive Case Filter DSCF0214
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Yea, I got one on my Rhino. Heard alot of pros and cons to it, and actually thought about removing it once or twice. One thing is do not oil it. It will cut too much air flow and overheat the cvt. Reason I thought about removing it is people have been riding CVT ATv's for years with no filter and no problems, so why do UTV's need em? Anyway, Mine is still on there and I clean it after every ride. Never put oil on it though.
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 4:04 pm

. Never put oil on it though.[/quote]

Nope....no oil....and yes, clean very often. My roller weights were all flat sided before I put the filter on and MAN, I could not believe the dirt/dust that was in the case.
But since I put the UNI on the intake side of the belt drive, everything is spotless. I did check to see if there was a noticeable loss of air coming out of the exhaust side of the belt drive .....if there is I can't tell.

Foxfire
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 6:27 pm

when i changed my sheave i didnt notice any dust in the stocker so opt out till proven wrong by my rhino
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 6:53 pm

shawnley1222 wrote:
i didnt notice any dust in the stocker

I don't remember where the Rhino's intake for the belt drive is located, but on the Prowler it sucks the air from between the dump box and the back of the cab and it
is suckin in dusty air.(unless you are on the black top Cool ) When I had mine apart to replace the weights/rollers there was like an inch of packed dust in the bottom of the case No

Foxfire
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:23 pm

ok i guess i miss read or miss thought i have a cvt intake filter sorry but still i didnt have any dust in my grease on the stock rollers
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Rhino intake is behind the drivers seat.
Back to top Go down
Triple J

Triple J

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 9:18 pm

foxfire
Your pic is gone, what filter are you installing on the cvt intake?
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 9:16 am

[img]Belt Drive Case Filter DSCF0518[/img]

[img]Belt Drive Case Filter DSCF0501[/img]

It's a Uni.....don't remember the # though
Back to top Go down
Triple J

Triple J

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks I thought I'd seen what you had done but at my age I'm not sure of anything I think I remember.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 12:43 pm

I have never ran one on my rhino and have had the cover off several times to check, I was amazed at how clean it was with no filter......

With no oil, all the foam filter is good for is stopping larger particles, the dust will still get sucked through correct? I have debated on the filter but have been told by several racers all it does is heat up the components and cause premature failure of the belt (on the rhino anyway)...

I would think the added heat (from restricted air flow) would do more damage then the dust....
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 2:34 pm

M & G....ya, some dust will pass through the filter w/no oil. If filter were oiled it would be to restrictive, in my opinion.
I had a little over 1" of dust inside the case when I first took it off to look around. Since adding the filter it is way cleaner.
As far as a heat issue.....I have none.Have had the filter on for well over 1,000 miles w/no issues. Lots of air comes out of the exhaust side of the belt drive. So my conclusion.......works very well on the "Prowler"
After speaking with an engineer @ Arctic Cat I was told that they toyed with the idea of filtering the belt drive, but did not due to the average individual not servicing it as would be required
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Foxfire wrote:
M & G....ya,
I had a little over 1" of dust inside the case when I first took it off to look around.

Man that is a lot of trash in the cvt!!! I swamped mine and filled the sheave on my rhino with mud one day (what a mess) but found no mud anywhere but inside the sheave..... To my surprise the rest of the cvt had no build up...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belt Drive Case Filter   Belt Drive Case Filter Empty

Back to top Go down

Belt Drive Case Filter
Page 1 of 1