SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Building a 3 seater

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Building a 3 seater Empty
PostSubject: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:38 am

Picking up my Rex Saturday and already shopping for mods...

I want to build a 3 seater so my wife and son can ride. I'm thinking about getting a baja style cage and putting a RZR style seat in the middle facing rearward - pulling harnesses from one bar for all 3 seats. I don't forsee needing to flip the bed up a lot, but would like the ability to do so. I've seen a few baja style cages that actually were seperate from the main cage and tilted with the bed.

Would like to be able to detach the seat.

I don't want so sink a lot of $$$ for the few times a year this might happen, BUT I don't want to scrimp on safety either.

Plus - when putting the Rex in my toyhauler I'm afraid a full 4 seater cage would drag, but the baja style wouldn't?

Building a 3 seater Yhst-76800471066344_2098_41700053
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 3:25 pm

To me any cage like that is more for looks than it is for function. That cage is tied to the bed only and not the frame, which means any force exerted on it will transfer to the bed itself. This i feel will do more to compromise the structure of the bed in a rollover even more than if you had no cage at all. I think it would have an opposite effect of what you are looking for which is protecting the precious cargo in the bed. 2cents
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Yank wrote:
To me any cage like that is more for looks than it is for function. That cage is tied to the bed only and not the frame, which means any force exerted on it will transfer to the bed itself. This i feel will do more to compromise the structure of the bed in a rollover even more than if you had no cage at all. I think it would have an opposite effect of what you are looking for which is protecting the precious cargo in the bed. 2cents

So the "shape" of the cage isn't as important as frame mounting? So something like this would make more sense (complete one piece)

baja cage
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah, that would be much better. allright
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 10:13 pm

You ever ridden facing backwards in anything for any time??? It will not work out, I assure you....
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Suck it up and buy the 4 seater cage? LOL!
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 3:23 am

Looks like a job for Dr. Chop!
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 3:34 am

Clayboy wrote:
Looks like a job for Dr. Chop!

Would it be better to add on a back to current cage or just fab up new?

I'd like to shorten it a few inches overall so I can add some bigger tires and still maintain current height!
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 5:08 am

I'll call the Doc and see if this would be something he would like to take on before we get any deeper. The sun is starting to shine here with warmer temps, so he may be busy on the trails. allright
Back to top Go down
sleepy23

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 11:59 am

fyi:

http://www.teryxforums.net/teryxs-parts/8664-teryx-3-seat-cage-powdercoated-400-a.html

not sure how much shipping would be.
i was quoted a price of 275 for a cage from Texas/Arizona area.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:20 pm

sleepy23 wrote:
fyi:

http://www.teryxforums.net/teryxs-parts/8664-teryx-3-seat-cage-powdercoated-400-a.html

not sure how much shipping would be.
i was quoted a price of 275 for a cage from Texas/Arizona area.

Thanks Sleepy - I've just about decided to go with a cage extension. I don't wanna change my stock seats and headrests for a pair of $500 seats. That is very tempting tho'
Back to top Go down
sleepy23

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 8:21 am

As an FYI: I am pretty sure the stock wall thickness was only around 0.070" on the main cage sections.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a 3 seater   Building a 3 seater Empty

Back to top Go down

Building a 3 seater
Page 1 of 1