SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clutching questions and more

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Clutching questions and more Empty
PostSubject: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 10:59 am

Hey guys. Looking for some opinions here. I got the Unleashed UTV Sheave, Gold Spring, 660 Plate and sliders. It gave me a lot of the low end grunt back that I lost with the 27s and Motorsport wheels. Got my top end up to 50mph. If the speedo is right. Not quite as peppy as stock though ( bottom end ). Not far from it, but not quite there. The question I have is this. Unleashed says to run the stock roller weights. Has anyone ran lighter weights? That seemed to be the ticket on the 660. They say that the 700s setup is quite different than the 660's. I have looked at it, and there are a number of differences. The other issue i have noticed is a big drop in power at 41mph. Its like you have taken a 5 spd manual tranny and shifted from 3rd to 5th. Kinda boggs then speeds back up. That is really the most annoying part. Unleashed says that the Stock ECM is causing this. I plan on putting a MSD on it in a few weeks. Then Dual Muzzys eventually.

BTW i put a Hunterworks Muffler tip on it and lost power. Noticeable.... All thru the RPM range. Will only do 47 with the tip. Its also much louder- in an obnoxious way. May try it again when I get the MSD and a K&N. They said i would notice an improvement with a MSD, K&N + Tip. Unleashed says that the msd and Muzzys will cure the problem. It will overcome the clutching issues then. for $1000 bucks I would hope so.... What do you 700 owners think about all this. Do my ramblings make sense? drunken
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Clay, I added the same sheave to my 700. Except I did not do the spring at first. My machine was much more peppy (26" XTR) then stock. Then I added the spring a few rides latter and the pep was gone. However, the power and RMPs were much better when climbing hills.
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 3:41 pm

Did yours act funny around 40 mph ?
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 7:34 pm

ClayW wrote:
Did yours act funny around 40 mph ?

Yes, it is around 42 mph. It is what they call roller flop. It is the rollers moving through the machined part of the sheave.

Now if you put a MSD on, it will help but you will always have that roller flop. I have a new Dynatech that I have not installed. The old one was acting up. Now that gave the old rhino some pep.
Back to top Go down
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:03 pm

If you thought the tip was obnoxious .... wait till you install the Muzzy's and put your foot in to it!!!! It is better with the Whisper Cores so don't forget to add those to your order as well.

What was the purpose of using the 660 plate and sliders on a 700? Was it because of the Unleashed sheave only?
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Wingman wrote:
If you thought the tip was obnoxious .... wait till you install the Muzzy's and put your foot in to it!!!! It is better with the Whisper Cores so don't forget to add those to your order as well.

What was the purpose of using the 660 plate and sliders on a 700? Was it because of the Unleashed sheave only?

The 660 has metal slides where the 700 are some kind of plastic. The guys out west were melting them so unleashed suggest the 660 sliders for the 700.
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:28 pm

I'm not sure about the plate. They said something about it being slightly different. Allowing more roller travel. Don't get me wrong. I had a tip on my 660 and loved the sound. 700 sounds way different. In a obnoxious way. Louder but Tuned is different story. I have heard the muzzys without the quiet core. Sounds fine. I know what I like. What I have sounds like ass!
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:32 pm

It's the sliders and fixed plate. I thought about the Dynatec but have read about so many people having them act up. Sounds like the MSD is more reliable.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:33 pm

From what I know, the MSD is a much better box.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Well I have a 660 and went with a 700 plate and sliders!!!
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 11:02 pm

dont really seem right too me, i have 26" Bighorns and a UNI Filter....and the HW tip sounds GOOD and i think it gives it a little more low end , but just a question......why does everyone care so much about what the top speed is......mine will run this or that with all this stuff on it, but you know you arent gonna run 50 or 45 or whatever on the trails......IMO.
but anyway i know nothing about clutching..... but the only reason i put a tip on mine is cause the stock one is rusted from mud baking on it.
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 11:23 pm

I don't care about top end myself. But when talking about overall performance it is a good indicator of the power you have. If I had the same setup and was only getting 40.... That would indicate a problem. Make sense? I would be happy with gobs of low end power and a 45 mph top speed.

As far as the tip goes. My buddies 660 sounded much deeper than mine. More tuned too. Mine just doesn't do it for me. I loved my Fully uncorked Yoshi pipe on my 700 kingquad. That joker would talk to ya. Buy it sounded tuned. Not like a coffee can.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 11:44 pm

To start the 700 and 660 just sound different from each other. Therefore, when you start modding you can really tell.

Now back on top speed. When you are road jumping from one trail to the other, 41mph sucks. 50 is much better.

I have no idea how fast the RZR will go. I have had it to 60+. It is just nice to know the speed is there if you need it.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 5:52 am

[quote="smith700"] but just a question......why does everyone care so much about what the top speed is......mine will run this or that with all this stuff on it, but you know you arent gonna run 50 or 45 or whatever on the trails......IMO.
quote]

I have had mine over 55 several times. I even got it up to 60 once or twice. Granted, that was on blacktop, but when you ride with guys that can hit 55 or better, pegging your machine at 41mph sucks. At least with the sheave on the Rhino you can get up around 50-52.

Clay, I hate to hear you having problems with this thing. I am sure after you toy with it you will get it worked out. Gonna be tearing into mine soon to give everything a good cleaning and inspect the belt.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 6:49 am

I don't have a clue how fast our Rhino is ..... although I thought I was going to find out when we rode with Boddy D and Geterdun in WV last year!!!

Because of the design of the CVT most mods that you do to gain low end will also give you improvements on the top end. I think the only thing that I have done that was the opposite was changing the secondary spring.
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Chris, I wouldn't call it problems. Just a little agrivation. I knew this going in to it.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Big-R there is no way i would attempt going 41-55 on any " roads between the trails" i am not silly enough, because i know what will happen ........... i seen it happen, some idiot going 60+ on the asphalt (P1) and lost control he was going so fast, he ran off the side,killed instantly. ......you have seen all the memory crosses on that road , and that is a reminder to me, not to even think about going that fast on that road.......pass me on the trail or the gravel if you want to but i really do not care, pass me on the trail because i am going "too slow" but running fast on the trails, all you are going to to is tear things up........i would think if you want to go fast then get a motorcycle, but on a off road vechile i wouldnt go that fast on the trails for anything.....
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 6:43 pm

smith700 wrote:
Big-R there is no way i would attempt going 41-55 on any " roads between the trails" i am not silly enough, because i know what will happen ........... i seen it happen, some idiot going 60+ on the asphalt (P1) and lost control he was going so fast, he ran off the side,killed instantly. ......you have seen all the memory crosses on that road , and that is a reminder to me, not to even think about going that fast on that road.......pass me on the trail or the gravel if you want to but i really do not care, pass me on the trail because i am going "too slow" but running fast on the trails, all you are going to to is tear things up........i would think if you want to go fast then get a motorcycle, but on a off road vechile i wouldnt go that fast on the trails for anything.....

Smith, we are talking apples and oranges. First, I never said anything about doing 60 in the trails. Second, you are talking about Windrock roads and I am talking about public roads. Most of the them with a speed limit of 55. There are a few places that we ride that are not pay trails. You ride some trails then come out on asphalt. Run the asphalt for a couple of miles then back on the trails. These are two lane county roads. Not one and a half lane curvy ass windrock roads. I would never drive 60 mph up on Windrock.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:31 pm

ok...i see what you are saying now....i misunderstood you.
.....and no offense but i wouldnt go 60 in one of these machines anyway, if you were to hit a car by ACCIDENT it would be all over but the crying
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm

smith700 wrote:
ok...i see what you are saying now....i misunderstood you.
.....and no offense but i wouldnt go 60 in one of these machines anyway, if you were to hit a car by ACCIDENT it would be all over but the crying

Yeah and if I flip off one of these hills that I climb at 5mph it will be all over but crying also.....
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:49 pm

If a car hits you period, your toast. Parked, Rolling, whatever. They are Gona pick you up in pieces regardless. Few MPH will just make it quick! We like to just get it over with. roflmao

splat
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:41 pm

ClayW wrote:
If a car hits you period, your toast. Parked, Rolling, whatever. They are Gona pick you up in pieces regardless. Few MPH will just make it quick! We like to just get it over with. roflmao

splat

roflmao just go on and get it over with fast thatsright thatsright
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutching questions and more   Clutching questions and more Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutching questions and more
Page 1 of 1