SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OHV Outlaws

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Lyin King

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-07-29

OHV Outlaws Empty
PostSubject: OHV Outlaws   OHV Outlaws EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:57 pm

Vandals Mucking Up Access For All

"OLALLA — Heavy rainfall filled wallowed-out vehicle ruts to form muddy, new streams in an area known as the Olalla Flats.

“This is like ground zero,” local forester Eric Geyer said, pointing at new roads cut through a young tree plantation about 10 miles east of Winston.

Two-year-old seedlings lie crushed in tracks running behind shot-up signs notifying trespassers the property belongs to Roseburg Resources Company, the affiliate that owns and manages all Roseburg Forest Products land.

Mud-running and off-road riding is nothing new in Douglas County, but private landowners and law enforcement say the abuse they now see on timber property is escalating to the point that they may close land where they've historically tolerated public use".

More here . . . http://www.nrtoday.com/article/20100404/NEWS/100409924/1063/NEWS&ParentProfile=1055

Kern County Sheriffs Step Up Efforts to Curb ORV Abuse on Private and Public Lands

"As conflicts between property owners and illegal off-roaders reach the boiling point, the Kern County Sheriff's Department is increasing efforts to both cool tensions and rein in lawless riders.

Law enforcement agencies nationwide have been performing a delicate balancing act, weighing the property rights of landowners against the rights of recreational vehicle enthusiasts, as they address the issues of criminal trespass, harassment, and violent threats.

Competing interests often collide. In Kern County, ranchers and other rural landowners have complained of property damage, threats and trespassing. Illegal off-road riders, they say, cut fences, chase livestock, and even threaten residents. Spokespersons for the off-road vehicle industry contend that only a small number of ORV users engage in such activities".

More here . . . http://www.examiner.com/x-42080-Bakersfield-Crime-Examiner~y2010m4d1-Kern-County-Sheriffs-step-up-efforts-to-curb-ORV-abuse-on-private-public-lands
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

OHV Outlaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: OHV Outlaws   OHV Outlaws EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 6:34 am

"Spokespersons for the off-road vehicle industry contend that only a small number of ORV users engage in such activities".

Unfortunately its those that ruin it for the majority. They caused it to be shut down in tellico and i cant blame them for shutting it down in response, unfortunately they move on to other places, Windrock Brimstone and the private lands in those areas. I have mini hill climbs on my property thanks to irresponsible riders and have a mud runoff running thru pristine woods as a result of uncontrolled erosion. I can only imagine what effect that effect is having on the aquatic life in local streams and creeks.

I have see homemade videos on different sites that promote outdoor riding and inevitably you see someone creating new trails that will forever remain unless reclaimed and all the response is "cool video dude"

Nobody wants to address irresponsible actions, or better yet, misinformed notions of responsible riding.

Think before you ride and leave a natural beauty, beautiful so others can enjoy or we all will be watching dudes "cool videos"
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

OHV Outlaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: OHV Outlaws   OHV Outlaws EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:
"Spokespersons for the off-road vehicle industry contend that only a small number of ORV users engage in such activities".

Unfortunately its those that ruin it for the majority. They caused it to be shut down in tellico and i cant blame them for shutting it down in response, unfortunately they move on to other places, Windrock Brimstone and the private lands in those areas. I have mini hill climbs on my property thanks to irresponsible riders and have a mud runoff running thru pristine woods as a result of uncontrolled erosion. I can only imagine what effect that effect is having on the aquatic life in local streams and creeks.

I have see homemade videos on different sites that promote outdoor riding and inevitably you see someone creating new trails that will forever remain unless reclaimed and all the response is "cool video dude"

Nobody wants to address irresponsible actions, or better yet, misinformed notions of responsible riding.

Think before you ride and leave a natural beauty, beautiful so others can enjoy or we all will be watching dudes "cool videos"

Well said, thank you my OHV brother!!!
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

OHV Outlaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: OHV Outlaws   OHV Outlaws EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Thats a different perspective....thanks Rhino Rob!
Back to top Go down
RMEF Lifer
SSXSRider Member
RMEF Lifer

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-12-22

OHV Outlaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: OHV Outlaws   OHV Outlaws EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Well said Rhino Rob!! I cannot agree with your thoughts more. As a former landowner (and hopeful future one), I feel your concerns. I spent two deer seasons in Middle Tennessee hunting trespassers and poachers full time rather than deer a few years back after a public hunting area opened up adjacent to my 400 acres. I was amazed at the arrogance of some of the folks I intercepted .... needless to say there were some tense moments given the fact that both parties were generally armed affraid
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

OHV Outlaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: OHV Outlaws   OHV Outlaws EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 1:38 pm

RMEF Lifer wrote:
Well said Rhino Rob!! I cannot agree with your thoughts more. As a former landowner (and hopeful future one), I feel your concerns. I spent two deer seasons in Middle Tennessee hunting trespassers and poachers full time rather than deer a few years back after a public hunting area opened up adjacent to my 400 acres. I was amazed at the arrogance of some of the folks I intercepted .... needless to say there were some tense moments given the fact that both parties were generally armed affraid

The more they close us out the more this stuff is going to happen, currently less than 1% of OHV users do these sorts of things and they are the ones who ruin it for the rest of us.

OHV Outlaws should consider the following.

As a "private land" owner here in CA, where I live I am by law allowed to "secure" my acreage with appropriate signage every so many feet, yards or miles, no fencing required. I am also allowed to shoot on my property for game, sport or target practice.

Tragic accidents sometime happen even in controlled sport, target practice or hunting situations like the one Dick Cheney was involved in.
Back to top Go down
RMEF Lifer
SSXSRider Member
RMEF Lifer

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-12-22

OHV Outlaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: OHV Outlaws   OHV Outlaws EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Tennessee is about the same way Lyin King (or at least it was in the 90's). When I owned the property, the laws and regs were such that if you marked your property line and signed it at each "obvious" entrance as well as every 100 feet (I think that was it), the game warden or sheriff could make an arrest for hunting without permission and/or trespassing if the person they caught on your property did not have written permission to be on your property on them. Once my partner and I signed the property, we had a little pow-wow with the local game warden and gave him free reign. After 3 or 4 arrests and prosecutions, our problems dropped off.
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

OHV Outlaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: OHV Outlaws   OHV Outlaws EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 2:31 pm

RMEF Lifer wrote:
Tennessee is about the same way Lyin King (or at least it was in the 90's). When I owned the property, the laws and regs were such that if you marked your property line and signed it at each "obvious" entrance as well as every 100 feet (I think that was it), the game warden or sheriff could make an arrest for hunting without permission and/or trespassing if the person they caught on your property did not have written permission to be on your property on them. Once my partner and I signed the property, we had a little pow-wow with the local game warden and gave him free reign. After 3 or 4 arrests and prosecutions, our problems dropped off.

Here we can do as you did with the Game Warden but if you encounter a trespasser you must inform them they are doing so and ask them to leave. If they do not comply you are required to call the Police and have them remove the offenders. You are not allowed to detain the perps by force while awaiting the arrival of the Cops which could take as long as 45 minutes.

My comments were just meant as food for thought to those who would violate the law.

The law in my County has more generous spacing allowances but I have signs every 200-300 yards or so just to be generous. I don't fence my property since I enjoy watching all the animals who find sanction and refuge on it, I don't hunt.

It just so happens that my property has very closely spaced substantial hills and is heavily wooded, the law doesn't require me to post the location of my target range or information about the areas I shoot clays, often with a 12 GA using 3" high base 00 buck for the sport of it. Were someone to pop up over a hill ignoring my signs and enter my back drop areas unexpectedly while my friends and I were enjoying our rights, an accident is possible.

I would never intentionally take someone's life for merely trespassing on my land but since I am also legally allowed to carry loaded and concealed on my private property without a permit I would not hesitate to defend myself, family or friends if threatened with deadly force by a trespasser. I have Mountain Lions and Bear to deal with while I'm working my land, so I do pack.

We also have a bunch of Meth heads in the County who take advantage of the remoteness by practicing thievery to feed their habit. Enter my home uninvited and forget about leaving breathing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

OHV Outlaws Empty
PostSubject: Re: OHV Outlaws   OHV Outlaws Empty

Back to top Go down

OHV Outlaws
Page 1 of 1