SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Off Road Camera Systems????

Go down 
+3
PWM
ridepate
matt2558
7 posters
AuthorMessage
matt2558
SSXSRider Member
matt2558

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2009-11-12

Off Road Camera Systems???? Empty
PostSubject: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:27 pm

I am trying to find a camera or camera system that I can mount on my rhino to capture video while out riding. There are a few things online that look somewhat random....Does anyone have any ideas or cameras that you use and recommend???
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:29 pm

I have not owned, but have some experince with the Go-Pro Hero. Only thing I didn't like about it was no play-back until you D/L'ed the vid.. I've seen them for around 159.00 on E-Bay

http://www.goprocamera.com/?_kk=go%20pro%20camera&_kt=6debae42-19e9-4fd8-8277-6b13521b643f&gclid=CObVpOrCpaECFR9lswod8RHzFg
Back to top Go down
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Here is a good site to read reviews

Helmet Cam Central

Here is a good place to purchase.

ATV Utah

This is the one I ended up with and I am very happy with the videos and results.

Oregon Scientific ATC 5K

Here is a Sample Video that I did at a very low resolution to keep down the file size. In reality, the video is much, much better quality.
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
matt2558
SSXSRider Member
matt2558

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 8:29 pm

ridepate wrote:
I have not owned, but have some experince with the Go-Pro Hero. Only thing I didn't like about it was no play-back until you D/L'ed the vid.. I've seen them for around 159.00 on E-Bay

http://www.goprocamera.com/?_kk=go%20pro%20camera&_kt=6debae42-19e9-4fd8-8277-6b13521b643f&gclid=CObVpOrCpaECFR9lswod8RHzFg

There were two on there site that seemed really nice. There was standard definition one and an HD one. It sounds like they have a lot of options for mounting so I sent them a message to see which system they recommend the most. I would really like the HD one, the quality is crazy, but the standard def is much cheaper by $150. They say you can also use a 12v adapter for power which is nice. whats your opinion? Is HD a little overkill or is it worth it you think?
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 8:53 pm

I guess the HD would probably be worth it. The standard, which I had experience with, was just O.K., good ,but not the best.
Back to top Go down
stealth
SSXSRider Staff
stealth

Number of posts : 2219
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 pm

I have the GOPRO set up. Its easy to use but the video has a fisheye look from being wide angle. The EPIC Cam shoots just as good of video and has lots of mounting ops and is a lot cheaper.
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:53 pm

heard good things on contour hd look for reviews go-pro contour.
Back to top Go down
matt2558
SSXSRider Member
matt2558

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 am

stealth wrote:
I have the GOPRO set up. Its easy to use but the video has a fisheye look from being wide angle. The EPIC Cam shoots just as good of video and has lots of mounting ops and is a lot cheaper.

Where can you find Epic cameras?
Back to top Go down
stealth
SSXSRider Staff
stealth

Number of posts : 2219
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Sams Club or Bass Pro Shops
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:41 am

Anyone tried one of these dual cameras? Records front and rear, plus has a GPS builtin that lets you "follow the track" on Google Earth...

http://www.motorsportscamera.com/

Here's a Youtube video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaZj6F02zsA&feature=player_embedded

$300, plus shipping
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Ryanscat

Ryanscat

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 12:38 pm

KentT wrote:
Anyone tried one of these dual cameras? Records front and rear, plus has a GPS builtin that lets you "follow the track" on Google Earth...

http://www.motorsportscamera.com/

Here's a Youtube video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaZj6F02zsA&feature=player_embedded

$300, plus shipping

That camera appears to have a slow frame rate. Heres a vid I took last summer at Royal Blue using a plain Flip camera bolted to the rollcage with a .79 cent corner bracket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci0vZ6TJZyA

I'm going to mount my mini HD camera up this summer and try it out. It cost about $200 a few years ago at Target and takes much better vids than our cheap Flips.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Ryanscat wrote:

That camera appears to have a slow frame rate.

It's 24 frames per second, the same as movie film. Commercial video is 30. Most people's eyes can't tell the difference...

Do you notice jitter at the movie theater, for example?

In comparison, most of the old Apple Quicktime movies used to be 10-15 frames per second, and you'd sometimes notice it..
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Ryanscat

Ryanscat

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 6:13 pm

KentT wrote:
Ryanscat wrote:

That camera appears to have a slow frame rate.

It's 24 frames per second, the same as movie film. Commercial video is 30. Most people's eyes can't tell the difference...

Do you notice jitter at the movie theater, for example?

In comparison, most of the old Apple Quicktime movies used to be 10-15 frames per second, and you'd sometimes notice it..

I looked my cameras up and the flip and my mini hd are both 30 fps. The hd is 6 megapixel as I recall. The gopro records at 30 or 60 fps (60 is 720p) for the helmet cam which is the cheapest. The 24 fps is why it shows the jumpiness I would go with at least a 30. It does seem to have a good picture and I really like the front and back views thats cool. I believe the slower frame rate really shows itself when the action speeds up. But if it doesn't bother you go for it and post up some vids!!
Back to top Go down
matt2558
SSXSRider Member
matt2558

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Ordered the gopro hd yesterday, we will see what happens! Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
matt2558
SSXSRider Member
matt2558

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyThu May 06, 2010 8:53 pm

I got my GoPro camera today and put it on tonight. It works really well and doesn't move at all. I made a sample video and I am thinking the only thing that I will do is transfer future movies to a new video and add music because there is a little static with the mic but I had to modify the watertight box to make the power cord work, so it could be coming from that, but that isn't a big deal. The picture is extremely clear in all types of conditions though. Just thought I would share.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? EmptyThu May 06, 2010 9:46 pm

matt2558 wrote:
I got my GoPro camera today and put it on tonight. It works really well and doesn't move at all. I made a sample video and I am thinking the only thing that I will do is transfer future movies to a new video and add music because there is a little static with the mic but I had to modify the watertight box to make the power cord work, so it could be coming from that, but that isn't a big deal. The picture is extremely clear in all types of conditions though. Just thought I would share.

Matt,
if you are getting wind-static, get a little piece of foam and cover the opening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Camera Systems????   Off Road Camera Systems???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Off Road Camera Systems????
Page 1 of 1