SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

which is better?

Go down 
+6
ridepate
nocerisdave
cajuncoot
2Slow4U
AIRBORNE
DOG
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DOG
SSXSRider Member
DOG

Number of posts : 1305
Registration date : 2010-02-20

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: which is better?   which is better? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:41 am

if you can only afford one of the two which would you get? msd or clutch sheeve first? i will be able to get the other in about 3 to 6 months but money is getting tighter so i need to make the right decision so i need your input. thanks.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:59 am

I would go with the sheave first. It will allow you to have more low end and also increase your top speed.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 7:55 am

AIRBORNE wrote:
I would go with the sheave first. It will allow you to have more low end and also increase your top speed.

X2...

And, you may want to consider putting lighter roller weights in it at the same time. The greaseless rollers seem to be a good alternative to a sheave that will let you do both at the same time -- equivalent of a sheave for top end + improved low/mid range of lighter roller weights. Both benefits, yet still less expensive than a normal machined sheave... could be a great way to "pinch pennies"...

They're not available for a 450, so I don't have direct experience with them. Lots of folks seem to love them, though, and I've heard of folks with 1500-2000 troublefree miles on theirs, and still going...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:26 am

check with todd at hunterworks first
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 am

RZR!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 pm

my 700 hits rev limiter at 41 mph with 26" terracross but i also have rear cage and seat in back.have not done anything to the motor really dont want any more topend but would really like more torque at lower end for the rock climbs
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 7:44 pm

You know you can buy the grease-less O/D weights and get the same benifit from a machined-sheave at less than half the cost......

http://hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/34168
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

spud, get the gold secondary spring from HW
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:00 am

I am not sure about the grease-less rollers. Never had them. But I do have a Unleash dunner clutch kit in the Rhino and was very happy with it. It added a very noticeable difference in bottom end.
Back to top Go down
Mollieandgil

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-04-30

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptySat May 01, 2010 8:42 pm

ridepate wrote:
You know you can buy the grease-less O/D weights and get the same benifit from a machined-sheave at less than half the cost......

http://hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/34168

Without a doubt, get the greaseless OD weights! You'll use your stock sheave, and no grease! They are virtually maintenance free.

Just this past weekend I installed the gold secondary spring, and while I was in there I checked the greaseless OD weights in the primary. They still looked brand new, and I've put some hard miles on them since they have been installed. Stock, my rhino went from 41 to 49 miles per hour. After other mods and raising the rev limit to 8,000rpm, it hit 62mph. And I don't experience roller flop that some have with machined sheaves.

Gil
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:41 pm

If Todd, the owner of Hunterworks, stands by them, and he does, you can bet they work. That was the direction I was going until the S came along.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? EmptySun May 02, 2010 10:33 am

spud wrote:
my 700 hits rev limiter at 41 mph with 26" terracross but i also have rear cage and seat in back.have not done anything to the motor really dont want any more topend but would really like more torque at lower end for the rock climbs

Slightly Lights clutch weights and a stiffer secondary spring will raise the RPM's down low and theoretically put you in a better power band.. It made a good difference in my 450 and well worth the money...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
Sponsored content

which is better? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which is better?   which is better? Empty

Back to top Go down

which is better?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: The Machines :: Yamaha-
Jump to: