SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...

Go down 
+7
Gimpy
KY. Colonel
nocerisdave
Woodtick
Hollon
Rhino Rob
2Slow4U
11 posters
AuthorMessage
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... Empty
PostSubject: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 11:07 am

... that went into general production? This old fart does -- I owned a Yamaha DT-250 and was getting smoked by the smaller Elsinores, for example...

It was a game changer, for quite a while, and every manufacturer had to develop one to compete. Now, it's the norm.

IMO, this new Can Am TTI rear suspension on the Commander has the same potential, if it proves reliable on the trails. It's proven on their quads, but this is a whole different level of stress...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 2:29 pm

friend had a yz 80. running little machine.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:
friend had a yz 80. running little machine.

Yes, and you could run full-throttle over about any terrain. You only let off it to engine-brake going into a curve... then crank it again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Yup, I traded my Yamaha 125 as soon as they came out. it was a new world on the mono-shock. were going to guess and speculate this thing to death until somebody gets one so we can test it against whatever we already own, cause we all think we have the one to own now. but this thing sure has a lot of potential!!! If it is in fact what it looks to be, I'll have one, already thinking about the possible mods!!!
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:22 pm

My pal Gary had a Yamaha 400 mono shocker one lunger! If you didn't hit the compression brake on that SOB just right it would about break you dang leg! But man would that thing run!
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Mono and then inverted fronts.........ahh the good ole days.
Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:07 pm

YZ250 traded up to the 400... No terrain it wouldn't handle but heavier than the older twin shock model. Ended up with a KX500 Kawi that damn near killed me! But what fun!!! My wife sold it when I was still under anesthesia...from the last crash.

The Colonel,
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 3:27 pm

KY. Colonel wrote:
YZ250 traded up to the 400... No terrain it wouldn't handle but heavier than the older twin shock model. Ended up with a KX500 Kawi that damn near killed me! But what fun!!! My wife sold it when I was still under anesthesia...from the last crash.

The Colonel,

I dont think you could have possibly put more power in a 500 than that KX, back then at least. The lawyers would have a field day with the old two strokes.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 8:22 am

Cannondale Mountain Bicycles came out with a Mono front shock too. It rode great, I just never gave up my Treks.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:51 pm

nocerisdave wrote:
KY. Colonel wrote:

The Colonel,

I dont think you could have possibly put more power in a 500 than that KX, back then at least. The lawyers would have a field day with the old two strokes.

AMEN To that Dave!!!

The Colonel,
Back to top Go down
Roo

Roo

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 3:21 pm

HAHAHA!!!!! 76' YZ 125, then a RM 250 when they came out with the full floater shock. The RM with a paddle tire was awsome in the dunes.
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 4:17 pm

old 125 elsinore , then a 501 maico not a mono ,but holy sheeet !! raw power !!
Back to top Go down
Big Ed
SSXSRider Member
Big Ed

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 5:00 pm

what about the old CR480 that had the kicker on the left side and chain on the right side. those where death traps!!!
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Big Ed wrote:
what about the old CR480 that had the kicker on the left side and chain on the right side. those where death traps!!!

If you thought that was a death trap you should try a Suzuki TM400. That thing was insane with its on and off powerband.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 7:24 pm

ah mr i75 elsinore. 2 shocks but fun neverless.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:05 pm

It is truly amazing the power the four strokes are making these days. I rode a yama 250 back a couple of months ago.....holy shiat! Or maybe im just gettin to old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...   Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes... Empty

Back to top Go down

Who else remembers the first monoshock dirt bikes...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: General :: General SidexSide Discussion-
Jump to: