Earlier this year President Obama held a conference on America’s Great Outdoors and established the America’s Great Outdoors Initiative to be led by the Secretaries of Interior and Agriculture, the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency and the Chair of the Council of Environmental Quality. The initiative is tasked with reconnecting Americans, especially children, to the outdoors and they have asked for public input and ideas.
It is vitally important that the Administration hear from you about how you recreate on and enjoy public lands. We can be sure that they are hearing from those who would support limiting or ending access for motorized recreation, but we have an opportunity to tell our side of the story as well. Please visit http://www.doi.gov/americasgreatoutdoors/,
sign-up and weigh in.
Now is the time to make it clear that OHV recreation is a family oriented activity that allows for father and son and mother and daughter to spend quality time outdoors. Too often OHV recreation is defined by the renegade few who behave irresponsibly. Please take this opportunity make it clear that millions of Americans responsibly enjoy motorized recreation on public lands.
• OHV use is a legitimate, sustainable use of appropriate public lands, particularly on National Forests and Bureau of Land Management Units.
• Motorized recreation is a healthy family activity and provides a great opportunity for families to “get away from it all,” and to experience the great outdoors.
• OHVers, like other recreationists, seek opportunities to not only enjoy the riding experience, but also opportunities to learn more about cultural and historical context, take in scenic views, observe wildlife, camp, hunt, fish and other activities.
• The overwhelming majority of OHVers are conservationists, who seek to preserve the same outdoor experiences they enjoy for children and grandchildren.
• OHVers are volunteers. OHV clubs and organizations groom and maintain trails, trailheads and other facilities as well as adopt trails and provide the tools and experience needed for constructing and maintaining all sorts of recreational trails; not just OHV opportunities.
• ATV and off-highway motorcycle riding encourages and promotes physical fitness
• OHVs provide the opportunity for Americans of all ages and physical capabilities to enjoy the outdoors.
Please take a few minutes to visit http://www.doi.gov/americasgreatoutdoors/
and have your voice heard.