SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RZR vs Commander by Polaris

Go down 
+13
2fast4u
Goose
samiam
garnog
Big-R
roadiestar
Stench
DirtDawber
GunRunner
hillbillyrzrs
ChrisC
AIRBORNE
nocerisdave
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

RZR vs Commander by Polaris Empty
PostSubject: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 6:35 pm

I love my S and would have to see a world of impressive performance off-road to buy into the Can-Am Commander hype.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Very good Video Dave. allright
I knew that can am would not mesure up to the king.... cheers
Back to top Go down
hillbillyrzrs
SSXSRider Member
hillbillyrzrs

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 10:20 pm

I guess that video just busted a lot of can-am dreamers.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 11:10 pm

I guess the vid should be taken with a grain of salt. It was produce by Polaris. I would guess any company could put their own spin on things. The whoops and that damn visco lok speak volumes though.

With the type of riding I do, and I would say most everyone else here, its a deal breaker.

Hear is a particial review from a Can-am forum.

Bombardier ATVs’ four-wheel drive system is the most intelligent in the industry. Visco-Lok constantly monitors front wheel speed and, if it detects one wheel spinning faster than its mate, it progressively sends more power to the wheel with the better traction. And it does it all without the rider even having to lift a finger."

That is exactly true. Push the 4wd button and it works when needed and disengages when not needed. The big benefit to having this differential is with the 4wd button engaged,you have"3wd" or an "open"differential. This makes steering and handling very easy and also gives the extra traction of the 3rd wheel being driven. When things get a bit tougher going and you start to lose traction, the Visco Lok will sense the front wheel is spinning and lock in the other side. Now you have a locked front end, true 4wd to help claw your way out of that nasty mud hole.

This works very well in most situations, however, there are times when a "true locker" is superior to the Visco unit. For example: say you are climbing a steep technical rock trail. You start spinning enough to lock in the front dif. and things start goingOK, but you have to let off the power. Now you are back to "3wd" and have to spina front wheelagain to lock it. This is a situation where you do not want any wheel spin and a true locker would be much better.

The Visco Lok only locks the front dif as long as you are on the gas. When you let up, it reverts back to "3wd" or open differential. This is because when the ViscoLok pumps up, the front end is locked in true 4x4 until you stop spinning, then the oil pressure bleeds off to unlock the front differential. This is the only downside of the unit that I can see. Although itcan be abig downside, if you are in that situation.

Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 11:18 pm

What's funny is they even used the standard s without fox shocks to beat the can am thatsright
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 11:44 pm

Yeah, tell me about it, Gunny! I damn near sharted myself!
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 12:45 am

Dawber is the Master Sharter!
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:36 am

That Commander has the regular cheep shocks not the Fox. thatsright
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:48 am

roadiestar wrote:

So does the RZR.
Back to top Go down
garnog

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-10-11

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 9:45 am

How many of you ride in the desert?
Back to top Go down
samiam
SSXSRider Member
samiam

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 10:11 am

80% of what is wrong with the Cam Am could be fixed with long travel. The S is King now but May be DE-THRONED with some mods. Careful, the machine we are bashing today may be under us next year thatsright
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 10:15 am

Good Vid Dave! It does show alot. GARNOG--- No deserts here in Georgia.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 1:39 pm

samiam wrote:
80% of what is wrong with the Cam Am could be fixed with long travel. The S is King now but May be DE-THRONED with some mods. Careful, the machine we are bashing today may be under us next year thatsright

Like the review says....the Visco Lok can leave you in a predicament on hills and in mud. I dont care for mud but I love hill climbing. Even with long travel the Visco Lok is a deal breaker. I have looked at the X very hard with lots of research, and was very close to buying one. Until the 4 wheel drive and the suspension is as good as a S I see no reason to change. The machine seems to almost cater to the sand.
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Big-R wrote:
roadiestar wrote:

So does the RZR.

Compare the regular RZR to it. Compare the RZRs to the Commander with the with the Fox shocks to the RZRs. Don't forget the RZRs was made for that kind of riding. I drove the Commander and don't care for it. I would rather have a polaristhere I said it.
thatsright
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Stench wrote:
Dawber is the Master Sharter!
Takes one to know one, stinky boy. thatsright

Back to top Go down
2fast4u

2fast4u

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 5:52 pm

I dont drive with the diff lock engaged,but when I do have to use it I have usually allready done alot of spinning(more than 5 rotations) so I dont know how it would be for myself DontKnow but the several people that I ride and have rode with that have the Can's (4wheelers) love it scratch After watching the video though it kinds worries me Shocked
Back to top Go down
http:// www.MAGOffroad.com
aweisgarber
SSXSRider Member
aweisgarber

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 7:35 pm

The S is a nice riding machine,but Polaris needs to have someone build them an engine that has enough HP and will hold up.
Back to top Go down
hillbillyrzrs
SSXSRider Member
hillbillyrzrs

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 am

I haven't really seen any engine problems unless there has been some extreme abuse and some one is not changing oil or air cleaner, are you riding a yamaha aweisgarber.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:19 pm

The problems I have read about are air box, or filter related too.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm sure the video was setup for Polaris to shine. But the higher weight higher center of gravity and the Visco lock system are all real drawbacks to the machine.
Back to top Go down
aweisgarber
SSXSRider Member
aweisgarber

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:36 pm

hillbillyrzrs wrote:
I haven't really seen any engine problems unless there has been some extreme abuse and some one is not changing oil or air cleaner, are you riding a yamaha aweisgarber.
Can-Am powered Yamaha.
Back to top Go down
Hellrzr

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-12-06

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Yeah, I don't think I will be trading my RZR in anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 3:34 pm

samiam wrote:
Careful, the machine we are bashing today may be under us next year thatsright

X2

I try not to bash anything! Although I do bleed Yamaha blue.. ownedsm
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Mud-and-Guts wrote:
samiam wrote:
Careful, the machine we are bashing today may be under us next year thatsright

X2

This is true, sometimes we might get to a place a can am gets stuck and we just have to crawl over it. roflmao
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RZR vs Commander by Polaris   RZR vs Commander by Polaris Empty

Back to top Go down

RZR vs Commander by Polaris
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next