SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fossil hunters

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 11:24 pm

Any body else out there hunt fossils?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 12:27 am

Done a little Indian artifact hunting. lots around here in the Kanawha Valley.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 1:29 am

I have stumbled across lots of points over the years here in Alabama. Its very hard to find a legal place these days. I live about 2 miles from a very large burial ground and lots of other smaller ones. There once was 15 named tribes in a 20 mile radius around me. I have never desecrated an Indian grave but there are lots of lowlifes that do dig. I have recently helped a couple tribes with catching the scum in the act. Its supposed to be a felony here but neither group of diggers was charged with a crime. No consiquences so I am sure they wont stop. Now when I come across points or other atifacts I let them lay. I tried to keep a couple but just didnt seem right to do so. OK im done with the rant now.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 6:03 am

Around here you go to the fields around the river, after they are plowed for spring and fall. The flint is laying around everywhere, and flint is not existant in this area. All was brought in. This was a major trade route from North Carolina to Ohio. Flint and Mica were what was traded mostly.They estimated at one time there were over 100,000 indians living in this valley along the river. Almost as many that live here now. There are many burial mounds here. Some right in the center of the city.
Back to top Go down
Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 8:29 am

I used to hunt arrow heads when they plowed the soybean feilds past my house when I was younger. I knew the man who owned them. And I've gotten many shark's teeth out of the river that runs on my property. Haven't hunted anything like that years, though, I used to love it...... scratch
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Lots of sharks teeth to be found here too. We seem to be in a shallow area of what was once ocean.....but the futher south you go in AL the sharks teeth are plentiful. Maybe we could take a geology type ride one of these days....I would love to check out other areas.
Back to top Go down
Clutch

Clutch

Number of posts : 217

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 4:14 pm

We have a major dig not far from me it called Windover Farms they think its one of the oldest sites in America, we used to ride dirtbikes in that area years ago. I also have a friend that goes scuba diving in the Gulf looking for Megalodon (sp) teeth once a year. I get into that kinda stuff on the history channel and my wife hates it :)
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Lots of guys and gals from Florida on a geology forum I go to. Scuba is very popular with most of them. Some of the caves and outcropings they goto under water look scary as hell to me...but to each his own. Ive heard about the dig near you that sounds cool. Same stuff here at my house the wife loves HG TV and I think it sucks, and visversa on the learning channels like History and the others. Thats why god gave us the ability to come up with two receiver sattelite dishes and DVRs, (my personal fav).
Back to top Go down
Clutch

Clutch

Number of posts : 217

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 7:31 pm

nocerisdave wrote:
the wife loves HG TV and I think it sucks
Laughing Usually when Im here is because HG TV is on and she has the control other wise its on Discovery, History, National Geographic or animal planet channels.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 10:10 pm

same here my gf likes all theose stations im all bout discovery and what not...::Certified Diver:: lookin to get certified in cave divin...im cert. in open and boat right now the basics so i cal go loberstirin and rec. diving
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 11:34 pm

Hey I Have Found All Kinds OF Skeletons(Animals) lol! Serious though we iwas Growning Up we Found All Kinds Of Civil War Stuff in the Feilds Behind My House and Also Real Good Stuff Around the RailRoad Tunnel. We Uncovered a Camp Site Made By Soilders Who Were Guarding it During the War :) Love That Stuff If I Had Time I Would Love To Do That :) My Father-in-Law Has Hundreds Of Arrow Heads and Old Artifacts He Hunts That Stuff All The Time Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fossil hunters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil hunters   Fossil hunters Empty

Back to top Go down

Fossil hunters
Page 1 of 1