SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

torn boots update...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

torn boots update... Empty
PostSubject: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 12:13 am

well, i finished my right rear... it was a big pain in the foot starting out. once i figured out how to get stuff off, it became easy though. left side is next... i'm doing that tomorrow. cheers

for those of you that have replaced boots... what did you use for the fasteners? i've heard alot of people use Zip Ties....

oh, and for those of you attempting this... it's very messy, get some surgical gloves or something. I got my wife to get me about 10 pairs... they work great.

:afro:

i might turn into a mechanic before long... lol! (that's good stuff) cheers

EDIT: changed wording.
Back to top Go down
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 12:25 am

Sounds like you got things under control. Did the boots tear because of the axle angle caused from the lift?

I have some stuff on the way to add to the Rhino. I'll send pics when I get it apart.
Back to top Go down
broknbonz

broknbonz

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 7:14 am

hey Rich, sorry I didn't get your message till late last night. Glad you got it figured out. Give me a call if I can help.

yea, zip ties work

you may find some generic cv boot clamps at your local auto parts store, just take the old ones with you. They should have the size stamped on them somewhere. You will also need some cv grease if it didn't come with the new boots.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:19 am

For fasteners do you mean the bands on the Boots??? If so I use Hose Clamps. They work very well. The hose clamps hold better than anything else and won't come lose. We used them at the Yamaha dealer all the time. People liked them alot better. king
Back to top Go down
Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:48 am

You didn't have any problems with the screw part hitting anything, did you. I am running some heavy duty (big, wide) zip ties on one of mine, and was thinking about swapping them out for hose clamps. scratch The zip ties are working fine, but I think I would like the hose clamps for a little added security.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:56 am

Bad Behavior wrote:
You didn't have any problems with the screw part hitting anything, did you. I am running some heavy duty (big, wide) zip ties on one of mine, and was thinking about swapping them out for hose clamps. scratch The zip ties are working fine, but I think I would like the hose clamps for a little added security.

Nope.... never a problem No I have put them on all kinds of Rhino at the shop. I have them on one boot of my KQ now.I have never seen a problem with it on anything so far. They os so much better than the bans. I have the bans come lose and Zip Ties break. The main Mechanic at the Yamaha shop turned me on to them a few years back. Thats the only thing I will ever use. cheers The hose clamp won't let the boot ever turn or spin either.
Back to top Go down
Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 9:17 am

Cool, looks like I'll be swapping out the zip ties for hose clamps when I get home..... What size do you use, 3 1/2" on the outer and 1 1/2 " inner?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 9:50 am

Bad Behavior wrote:
Cool, looks like I'll be swapping out the zip ties for hose clamps when I get home..... What size do you use, 3 1/2" on the outer and 1 1/2 " inner?

Honestly I can't remember scratch I have taken all mine out of the packages. I know hte big side is 3.5 I think scratch Laughing You may have to get a few sizes to try on the small side. Trust me you will love them cheers
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 10:55 am

FYI: i don't know the names of a lot of the parts... so, bare with me. lol!

yeah, i thought about using the clamps... i used zip ties on the right side, so i'll probably trade them out.

yes, i believe the torn boots are from the lift... but, i think it may have been my fault though... b/c i adjusted my shocks to add to ride height and added the lift too. so, the angle was way off. i'm going to adjust the ride height on the shock back to alittle below stock( 2.5 inch's) and keep the lift on... if the boot tears again, i'll take the lift off.

I did find the reason why my boot was torn on the right side though... it was the circlip/circular ring clip on the inside of the boot(not the circlip on the end of the axle). it was in the very tip of the boot when i took the boot off.... and it was mangled/ shriveled up to the size of a quarter. Sad

Tim, no worries on the phone call... i was having problems getting the ball bearing knuckle(?) off(end of axle) after i took the circlip off... but, i finally got it off. as for the grease and what not... the kit i bought(15.00) from the local little bike shop, came with grease, boot and clamps. excellent deal IMO considering the yamaha dealership wanted 32.00 for the same thing. and... the guy told me he would install it for 15.00 if i brought the axle to him. (that's some good stuff there)

Becky and I are going to look at a couple of houses, then i will resume with the left side.

EDIT: thanks for the info on those Clamps Boot cheers
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 3:58 pm

Wheels wrote:
FYI: i don't know the names of a lot of the parts... so, bare with me. lol!

yeah, i thought about using the clamps... i used zip ties on the right side, so i'll probably trade them out.

yes, i believe the torn boots are from the lift... but, i think it may have been my fault though... b/c i adjusted my shocks to add to ride height and added the lift too. so, the angle was way off. i'm going to adjust the ride height on the shock back to alittle below stock( 2.5 inch's) and keep the lift on... if the boot tears again, i'll take the lift off.

I did find the reason why my boot was torn on the right side though... it was the circlip/circular ring clip on the inside of the boot(not the circlip on the end of the axle). it was in the very tip of the boot when i took the boot off.... and it was mangled/ shriveled up to the size of a quarter. Sad

Tim, no worries on the phone call... i was having problems getting the ball bearing knuckle(?) off(end of axle) after i took the circlip off... but, i finally got it off. as for the grease and what not... the kit i bought(15.00) from the local little bike shop, came with grease, boot and clamps. excellent deal IMO considering the yamaha dealership wanted 32.00 for the same thing. and... the guy told me he would install it for 15.00 if i brought the axle to him. (that's some good stuff there)

Becky and I are going to look at a couple of houses, then i will resume with the left side.

EDIT: thanks for the info on those Clamps Boot cheers

No Problem! How big is your lift Question
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 4:37 pm

it a tonys toys 2 in lift.im having the same problem.except i didnt tear anything up.took mine off today.when it was jacked up with the wheels offf theground, on the pass rear axle would hit the frame wear it come out off the rear end.after i took it off,i can barely get my finger between the axle and the frame.i dont know how they expected that to work.i do have some big fingers though Laughing
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 4:46 pm

craig, i did lift mine up and the axles were not hitting... not sure why yours are.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 6:00 pm

with my lift(moose lift) i had no angle problems or any hitting issues either...odd
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:20 pm

From what i have seen the Moose lift is a great design

Does High Lifter make one for the Rhino Question
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Wheels wrote:
craig, i did lift mine up and the axles were not hitting... not sure why yours are.

wonder if your offset wheels make any diff ,because i dont think ,since your wider u r going up as far
Back to top Go down
broknbonz

broknbonz

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:58 pm

rhinomcb wrote:
Wheels wrote:

wonder if your offset wheels make any diff ,because i dont think ,since your wider u r going up as far

think he's talking about suspension droop and the axle hitting the frame, ???
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:59 pm

rhinomcb wrote:
Wheels wrote:

i'm not sure... i would think that it doesn't make a difference... it would be the angles of the A-arms... not necessarily the rims and tires... but, i could be wrong. :albino:

by the way, i just finished the left side. i'm tellin' y'all... i'm getting good at this 'mechanic' thing... lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Wheels,

Good job man!!!! Nothing like diving into it yourself and either screwing it up or figuring it out. Either way ,you leaned something.kudos cheers

by the way, i just finished the left side. i'm tellin' y'all... i'm getting good at this 'mechanic' thing... lol![/quote]
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 10:54 pm

yeah, it actually wasn't that bad... and you're right Jimbo... i learned a lot!!

next time, it won't take me near as long...
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... EmptySat May 03, 2008 11:09 pm

i got spacers and yet still no problems i doubt the offset make a difference
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: torn boots update...   torn boots update... Empty

Back to top Go down

torn boots update...
Page 1 of 1