SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oil in RZR airbox

Go down 
+6
stanthaman
TBONE21
Craig_C
ridepate
Big-R
8ball_99
10 posters
AuthorMessage
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Have a question.. I know the crankcase has vent line going to the airbox.. I went and looked at a RZR and when I checked the filter there was quite a bit of oil in the air box. The guy hasn't drove it since we got that big snow in january. The machine is under warranty and he is taking it to his dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. Dealer told him snow probably blocked of his intake causing oil to be sucked up the vent. I guess that could happen. Just wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen?.. The oil looked clean and the RZR cranked and idles NP..
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 12:07 am

I usually have some oil in my air box. I am betting the dealer will tell him it is normal. I have read about this a few times on RZR forums. No one has ever given an answer that made any since to me.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 am

I'd say normal. There was always a small amount in my S.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 1:46 am

It was a little more then small amount.. At least a few ounces. It was enough that the filter was sitting in oil. It didnt' look like the oil came through the filter though. Its probably fine just surprised both of us... Its odd cause I've never had any oil at all in mine..
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:06 am

8ball_99 wrote:
It was a little more then small amount.. At least a few ounces. It was enough that the filter was sitting in oil. It didnt' look like the oil came through the filter though. Its probably fine just surprised both of us... Its odd cause I've never had any oil at all in mine..

I might be concerned if it is getting into the air box.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:21 am

When my Rzr was new...during break in, it put enough oil in the airbox that it ran out when I pulled the lid. Once broken in, it stopped doing it. It will put a light coating in the box near the vent hose location, thats no big deal. If its already broken in, and is putting enough oil in the box to puddle up, theres too much blowby, presurizing the crankcase.
Back to top Go down
TBONE21
SSXSRider Member
TBONE21

Registration date : 2011-02-15

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 1:20 pm

After every ride I clean out my airbox and spray white lithium grease all in the airbox then clean the filter or replace it.

I also run the outerwear pre filter like Bush does.

Its a pretty good setup!
Back to top Go down
stanthaman

stanthaman

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm

All engines make a little oil steam and it will gather at the air filter box unless it was an excessive amount I would'nt even worry.
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

stanthaman wrote:
All engines make a little oil steam and it will gather at the air filter box unless it was an excessive amount I would'nt even worry.

Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:47 pm

When I ran the Uni Filter I got a lot of oil in mine. Switched back to stock filter w/Outer Wear and have no more problems. I now have over 1000 miles on mine too.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 pm

2210 miles and I have had very little oil in the air box. I would say less than an aerosol lube would spray. I have ran stock filters since Ive had it. I would say if he got some snow in the crank case breather, via the air box, something is not right. That amount of oil sounds excessive to me.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Gimpy wrote:
When I ran the Uni Filter I got a lot of oil in mine. Switched back to stock filter w/Outer Wear and have no more problems. I now have over 1000 miles on mine too.

Hmm I wonder if the Uni filter restricted the airflow causing the oil to get sucked up the vent line. I figure I will call the guy tomorrow and see what his dealer said.
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Registration date : 2010-06-21

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:22 am

Ive been running a Uni for over a thousand miles, no issues. I did have the oil issue when I first got the Rzr, while it was breaking in. After that, just the normal oil film is all I get.
Back to top Go down
jlsh4e
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 pm

I had oil in there 2 times once when I over filled it . This will not hurt it but the extra oil has to go somewhere. The other time was from rolling it over and leaving it running while turning the front wheels into the ground to spin it into a better position so I could flip it back over , which is much easier down hill by yourself. Lots of oil in it that time but didn't hurt it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil in RZR airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil in RZR airbox   Oil in RZR airbox Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil in RZR airbox
Page 1 of 1