SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spittin and Sputterin

Go down 
+4
wvyankee2
Clayboy
Foxfire
shawnley1222
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Spittin and Sputterin Empty
PostSubject: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 10, 2008 10:56 am

Ok when i am at half ish or more throttle and let off it spits and sputters but only when i let out of it, i already changed my fuel filter thinkin maybe that but still the same...so next im gonna try and pull the spark plug and either clean it or just flat out replace it. Any other ideas of what it might be?

p.s. i have the HW CDI and never had a problem but checked my connections and good and the switch is on the WFO setting...and i know one solution is run WFO all the time but cant always and wanna resolve this before our "FL Ride" in O.N.F. next weekend
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 10, 2008 11:51 am

Ya....next step for me would be to pull the plug.....did you ever find any plastic from the tank??? Know that has caused many a Rhino owner a fit.....then somewhere on
www.ridesidebyside there was an article about the position of the "T" for the fuel return
which gave many trouble.

What color is the plug??
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Check all the vacuum lines from the tank to pump and carb. Change plug and check plug wire. Check air filter too. If still no good then try the stock CDI.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Got it snorkeled? If you do, remove the snorkel at the airbox and take it for a ride. See if it runs Ok then.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 10, 2008 11:47 pm

I just replaced the fuel filter and i have the HW CDI, sheave and ex. tip but have had it for a while with no problems at all, so tomorrow mornin im going to be checking the exhaust for leaks/loose parts(happend once already and fixed it) and possibly change the plug so it just might be bad gas..if so should i just keep runnin it or drain it out? And my filters are all clean(just serviced the rhino) and no it aint snorkeled.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySun May 11, 2008 12:21 am

Check the hoses off the carb. There is one vent i believe that hangs down under the motor. See if it is clogged with mud.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySun May 11, 2008 9:01 am

wvyankee2 wrote:
Check the hoses off the carb. There is one vent i believe that hangs down under the motor. See if it is clogged with mud.

haha i def need to check that then i'm sure there is
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptyMon May 12, 2008 7:50 pm

have u figured anything out ???? my bros is doing the same thing
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptyMon May 12, 2008 8:12 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yamaha has a Tech Tip bulletin (ssv08-005) acknowledging that the rubber of the fuel pump check valves can swell in some circumstances causing low fuel pump output. The updated fuel pump part number is 5UG-13910-01-00.

Could be your problem.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptyMon May 12, 2008 8:23 pm

my bad .just talked to him.his sputters real bad when u first start it.will hardly stay running even with the choke on.after it warms up it runs fine.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Mine does that as well sometimes and its still doin it but not nearly as bad gonna get some fuel stabalizer then i dunno little bit at a time so i can find the problem do it all at once and ill never know
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptyMon May 12, 2008 10:13 pm

U may want to take something rough and start scuffing all your electrical connections, then put some diaelectic tune-up grease on all of them. Many guys on NYROC that get dirty were complaining of the same thing with their Kings. Their wiring connections had corroded. It is just thought. My next step would be trying to figure out if it was the fuel pump maybe not performing up to snuff. If you have gunk in the tank, your pump may work ok while you are in the throttle hard, but when you let off it is straining. I saw the pics of one guys King, the filter in the tank was black cause some crud had gotten in there. He took it apart and cleaned it all out, runs like a scolded dog now. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Hillbilly9903

Hillbilly9903

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptyMon May 12, 2008 10:20 pm

what octane gas are you runnin??? and have you drained the bowl of the carb lately or checked gas for water didn't you just change the fuel filter is it in right sorry i know that one is stupid but it sounds like something i might do lololol
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptyMon May 12, 2008 10:24 pm

Ya i wanna drain the tank but its such a pain in the arse to take apart and habe a look in yamaha dont want you servicin yourself thats for sure but i will get there if i dont solve it before friday night

runnin 87 always have so have all the people i ride with...changed the filter the one was browish/blackish def time 4 that and no havent drained bowl or checked 4 water in tank
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 17, 2008 4:58 pm

ok i changed plug filter drained out old gas put in 93 put stock cdi and still nothin what the hell can it be? Mad
Back to top Go down
broknbonz

broknbonz

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:08 pm

Have you altered the jetting, fuel screw or needle shims/clip ? or is the rhino still stock ?
just trying to get an idea about what you have.
Back to top Go down
boilermaker

boilermaker

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Do you still have your spark arrester in if you do make sure its not stop up.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:23 pm

no thats gone.....also now it does it on the gas and comin off mostly in mid range
Back to top Go down
boilermaker

boilermaker

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Only other thing i can think of it could be your pickup coil. You can go to atuozone they have a tester that hookup to your plug and wire where you can watch the spark to see if its breaking down.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Well tomorrow ill be checkin ALL the hoses ex. all over and cleanin the carb i hoping for the best
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Yamaha has a Tech Tip bulletin (ssv08-005) acknowledging that the rubber of the fuel pump check valves can swell in some circumstances causing low fuel pump output. The updated fuel pump part number is 5UG-13910-01-00.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySat May 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Link pate to the detailed info? Just in case so i can argue with the stealer if it comes to that for for some unfortunate reason
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySun May 18, 2008 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the guesses yall cleaned the carb real good and she back to normal and purrin like a kitten time to hit the mud :D
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySun May 18, 2008 10:20 pm

Sweet man. Knew it was that!!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin EmptySun May 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Well now its got a few new clean parts :D but i did new a new fuel filter for sure
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spittin and Sputterin   Spittin and Sputterin Empty

Back to top Go down

Spittin and Sputterin
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: The Machines :: Yamaha-
Jump to: