SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Multipurpose Rifle?

Go down 
+7
rhinomikey
RangeRover
jasonch
bush
Goose
wvyankee2
Stench
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Best Multipurpose Rifle? Empty
PostSubject: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 8:10 am

I sold my 270 Savage about 2 years ago because I'm just not a deer hunter (don't have time to ride, let alone hunt!) and am looking for something to put in it's place as more of a multipurpose rifle. I've got a few 22's and a 20ga and 12 ga shotty, so am looking for something to round out the stable "just in case". I had thought about a lever gun in 357 since I do have a snubbie of the same caliber, but have read that that is not necessarily a good choice. I'd rather not invest an arm and a leg and ammo has to be readily available. I'm not a "tactical" type person - would rather not explain why I shot an intruder with an AR-15 with a 30 round clip, laser sight, etc.

What do you guys think of this? rossi ranch hand A bit gimmicky, but thought it would be something my wife would feel comfortable using in my absence.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:48 am

Thompson Encore. Quality piece with barrels for multiple applications. Having to make that 1 shot count has it's merits.
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 4:22 pm

need to get that new Tauras 14 shot 12ga. 18" barrel. I want one.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 4:45 pm

for home defence!! auto 12ga

243 or 308,270 if you want to ever use it deer hunting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
jasonch

jasonch

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 5:10 pm

I agree with the 243, a good 30/30 is hard to be too.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 6:54 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Thompson Encore. Quality piece with barrels for multiple applications. Having to make that 1 shot count has it's merits.

X2 Best Multipurpose Rifle? 778176

Wouldn't trade the one I have for nothing!!!!
Back to top Go down
rhinomikey

rhinomikey

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:12 am

Lever gun would be my choice for an all around gun, 44 mag, 30/30 would be the cal. I like.
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptySat May 28, 2011 2:43 pm

My old Army issue M16 and the 2 clips that we fab'd together.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 11:59 am

What do you want it for? Just for home defense, or do you want to play with it too? That .17 is a badass little gun. It is a flat shooter with better ballistics than a .22, and also would be enough to put a nice sting in the hide of a coyote at 75 yards, although maybe not enough to kill it unless you placed the shot right. If you are looking for something in tight quarters, I would go with a nice light, short-barreled tactical shotgun. If you are looking at something with some kick to kill varmints out past 100 yards, I would likely go with a .223. Bullets are not that expensive, there are a multitude of applications and accessories, and they are very accurate.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 12:30 pm

I have a 12ga moss berg for Home defense, but wanted a general purpose rifle- sort of a shtf gun that is light, ammo readily available, could be used for hunting in a pinch. leaning towards a lever gun in 357, but a mini14 might be a better choice?
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 2:02 pm

mini14
i just got this one. shots great but its HEAVY.

Best Multipurpose Rifle? Mini11
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 3:49 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:

Ditto, you can switch barrels in no time. every caliber/gauge available including muzzleloader calibers. Mount a scope on favorite barrel and your ready to go.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Best Multipurpose Rifle?   Best Multipurpose Rifle? EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:57 am

I wonder if it has a two inch hitch.....for trail protection.